Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dead Battery After Car Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:53 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Dead Battery After Car Audio Upgrade

I did a complete audio upgrade on my 13 GS. Everything was fine until I didn’t drive my corvette for 3 days. Was going out to dinner with the wife and decided to take the corvette. Nada. So we took the SUV out instead. Got back home and hooked it up to my 35 amp charger for 5 minutes. Turned on no problem. Went for a drive, everything looks good.
Here is what I know so far.

When I turn off the car and open the door, radio does turn off. Amp also turns off. Visual confirmation as the radio is off and all the lights on the amp are off.

What else could be drawing power? Could the rp5-gm11 be drawing power? I also have a backup camera, could that be drawing power?

I guess I am going to have to just take things apart and use my multimeter to see what might still be hot when the car is off. That’s going to have to wait until the weekend but I was hoping maybe someone had a similar issue that might be able to point me in the right direction.

The GS is hooked up to my tender for now and have pulled the inline fuse on the power cable at the battery that powers the amp until I figure out what is going on.

PS. Head unit is the Kenwood DMX7704S and amp is the JL Audio RD900/5.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:59 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 244 Posts

How did you power your camera?
Old 06-01-2017, 05:26 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bartsky
How did you power your camera?
It is tapped into the +12v for the reverse light.

Part of me was thinking it might be the camera. I put the car in reverse when I turn it off (required in my 2005 C6 and it's sort of habit now). So my GS is left in reserve while off but even so, the car is off and the reverse light is not on so I would think the camera is off too.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

I replaced the rp5-gm11 with the rp4-gm11. It is possible the RP5 was not working correctly. I already had the RP4 on order because after multiple attempts I could not get the steering wheel controls to do what the programming said. Also the chimes never worked. Now with the RP4, chimes work and the steering wheel controls do exactly what I programmed them to do. Oddly enough, the audio sounds better but that just might be in my head. Anyways, I am going to leave my corvette alone for a couple of days and see what happens.

I did confirm that when I shut the car off, door open, everything is off. RP4 is off. Radio is off. Amp off. I can also assume the backup camera is off since there is no indication if it is on/off.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:00 PM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Do A draw test I found 3 gm11's all had excessive draw after the car went to sleep.I go pissed off and ripped the system out of the car. The draw I found was 35-60 milliamps. When the gm11's where disconnected the draw went back to acceptable levels.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:50 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sccaGT1racer
Do A draw test I found 3 gm11's all had excessive draw after the car went to sleep.I go pissed off and ripped the system out of the car. The draw I found was 35-60 milliamps. When the gm11's where disconnected the draw went back to acceptable levels.
Thanks. I actually have another post here I am troubleshooting the amp draw

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ar-is-off.html
Old 06-07-2017, 08:19 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hey Homer,
Been following your thread and like you I'm getting ready for a complete audio upgrade to my 2010 GS M6. I also got a complete kit from Dennis at Double D Mods for a Kenwood DMX7704S, front, rear and dash camera, no amp at this point. Did Dennis send you the rp5-gm11 with your kit? That is what he sent with mine. I told him I wanted to retain full steering wheel function and assured I would. Your saying you had better results with the rp4-gm11. Would you better explain the pros and cons concerning the steering wheel programing? I did read your posts on another thread about double button function (press once and press and hold). Will I need to go through a programming to reset my steering wheel controls?

If you figure out your little e-gremlin, I sure would appreciate a follow up from you.

My kit should be arrive today and will be installed this weekend with any luck.
7704S
rp5gm11
metra dash kit
front & rear camera
dvr520 camera
prewired

Thanks for your time and good luck with the e-gremlin.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Boxcar
....Did Dennis send you the rp5-gm11 with your kit? That is what he sent with mine. I told him I wanted to retain full steering wheel function and assured I would. Your saying you had better results with the rp4-gm11. Would you better explain the pros and cons concerning the steering wheel programing? I did read your posts on another thread about double button function (press once and press and hold). Will I need to go through a programming to reset my steering wheel controls?...
No I did not pick up ithe rp5-gm11 from Dennis. Local car audio here had it in stock so I just bought it from them. I am not sure if I had a bad rp5-gm11. But I could not get the programming to work. Did it like a billion times. Chimes never worked. I decided to switch to the rp4-gm11 because (1) I didn't care to retain OnStar and (2) I wanted 2 functions per button. For example, I have the pick up button as answer call (quick press) and use Siri (press and hold) as well as volume down (quick press) or mute (hold volume down). Chimes also work.

You will need to reprogram the rp5-gm11. The default programming makes so sense. Volume up/down is set by default as well as track up/down. However, for some reason the pick up button mutes the radio and not answer call like you think it would. The hang up button changes the band (FM/AM).

I think I figured out my dead battery issue. I think it was all a coincidence and may not have anything to do with the audio upgrade. I disconnected the battery. Fully charged (12.6v) but roughly 5 hours later it dropped to 12.2.v with nothing connected. I will be picking up a new battery today so hopefully this will resolve my issue.
The following users liked this post:
Boxcar (06-07-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery After Car Audio Upgrade

Quick Reply: Dead Battery After Car Audio Upgrade