Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

amp install help and such

Old 06-28-2017, 12:14 AM
DanCan81
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp install help and such

I have a 2011 grand sport 3LT package and I'm finally upgrading the sound system. I bought everything from Dennis @ DD Mods and I'm ready to start my install. I have not been able to find a good write up on how to access the grounding point on the B pillar passenger side of the car.

Does anyone have pictures or instructions on how to remove the trim panel without damaging anything? I have all of the other console and trim removal instructions but I am only missing the B pillar trim removal.

I am also mounting the amplifier behind the passenger seat and was curious if anyone has done this before, if so is it necessary to mount the amp to a piece of wood under the carpet or can I just use simple screws to attach the amp to the carpet (not screwing through the metal wall into the fuel cell) without the screws pulling through? The passenger seat stays adjusted all the way back against the rear wall with my wife in the car, so it shouldn't flop around.... right?
Old 06-28-2017, 03:56 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DanCan81
I have a 2011 grand sport 3LT package and I'm finally upgrading the sound system. I bought everything from Dennis @ DD Mods and I'm ready to start my install. I have not been able to find a good write up on how to access the grounding point on the B pillar passenger side of the car.

Does anyone have pictures or instructions on how to remove the trim panel without damaging anything? I have all of the other console and trim removal instructions but I am only missing the B pillar trim removal.

I am also mounting the amplifier behind the passenger seat and was curious if anyone has done this before, if so is it necessary to mount the amp to a piece of wood under the carpet or can I just use simple screws to attach the amp to the carpet (not screwing through the metal wall into the fuel cell) without the screws pulling through? The passenger seat stays adjusted all the way back against the rear wall with my wife in the car, so it shouldn't flop around.... right?
You're going to need to drill a hole in the firewall for your 12v amp power, go ahead and run your ground from the battery.

You don't want your seat touching the amp, it needs a little breathing room. Pull the carpet up behind the seat, put a little liquid nails and 3M 2-sided tape to a piece of wood, let it dry then mount your amp securely with 4 screws. Do it right the first time.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:17 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 89Roadster
You're going to need to drill a hole in the firewall for your 12v amp power, go ahead and run your ground from the battery.

You don't want your seat touching the amp, it needs a little breathing room. Pull the carpet up behind the seat, put a little liquid nails and 3M 2-sided tape to a piece of wood, let it dry then mount your amp securely with 4 screws. Do it right the first time.
Really? Isn't there an existing grommet in the firewall that the power can be routed? I don't have a C6, but this was a non-issue for my C5...

Last edited by unlvrebel; 06-28-2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 06-28-2017, 04:32 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Originally Posted by unlvrebel
Really? Isn't there an existing grommet in the firewall that the power can be routed? I don't have a C6, but this was a non-issue for my C5...
I've got two #6 wires running from my battery for power and ground to 3 amps, no way they're going through that grommet.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:56 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Originally Posted by 89Roadster
I've got two #6 wires running from my battery for power and ground to 3 amps, no way they're going through that grommet.
Didn't see a need to run ground back out. Terminated at a grounding point in the car. Easier. Able to get RCA heads for front camera through with the #6 installed no problem. Not much smaller than #6. So could have easily had two #6...

Last edited by unlvrebel; 06-28-2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: edit
Old 06-28-2017, 08:20 PM
DanCan81
Advanced

With the grand sport, the battery is in the rear passenger cargo compartment like the Z06, So I don't think there's any need to run through the fire wall.

Wont the wood add extra thickness behind the seat?
Old 06-28-2017, 09:51 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

With the grand sport, the battery is in the rear passenger cargo compartment like the Z06, So I don't think there's any need to run through the fire wall.

Wont the wood add extra thickness behind the seat?

Forgot about that, easy to run your ground then.

Wood is barely noticeable, I've got a pic somewhere of the carpet right after I installed the board before I put the amp in if you want me to dig it up.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:16 PM
DanCan81
Advanced

Sure, pics would be great, also what is involved with pulling the carpet back to glue the board to the rear wall?
Old 06-29-2017, 04:44 PM
NotLawReview
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure, pics would be great, also what is involved with pulling the carpet back to glue the board to the rear wall?
Literally just pulling the carpet down. I started in the middle at the top of the waterfall between the seats (I mounted my amps on a rack on the shelf behind the seats and ran the RCAs right up the middle) but you should easily be able to peel it down on the passenger side.

Worst case you can pop up the plastic trim that goes the length of the door into the kickpanel so you can remove the plastic trim piece by the seatbelt that the carpet is tucked under, and then peel the carpet down.

There aren't pins/screws/etc. holding the carpet down; just the fact that it's cut to fit and folded under other pieces of carpet.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:56 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by 89roadster
you're going to need to drill a hole in the firewall for your 12v amp power, go ahead and run your ground from the battery.

There is no need to drill any hole at all. Just route through factory grommet under battery
you don't want your seat touching the amp, it needs a little breathing room. Pull the carpet up behind the seat, put a little liquid nails and 3m 2-sided tape to a piece of wood, let it dry then mount your amp securely with 4 screws. Do it right the first time.
amp will also be fine behind the seat
Old 06-29-2017, 08:00 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

stock grounding point is about 8 inches or so up on passenger side b pillar
pull panel back and there is a 10mm bolt to remove and put ground eyelet on it and your good to go.

call em as well anytime you need to
Dennis
Old 06-30-2017, 12:27 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

After the board was mounted.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:28 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

With the carpet over the board. Sticks out about an inch.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Ricbear
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[i]
I am also mounting the amplifier behind the passenger seat and was curious if anyone has done this before, if so is it necessary to mount the amp to a piece of wood under the carpet or i]
You do not have to use wood that will take an inch of space. You can get "hurricane" straps at Home Depot/Lowes long enough to bend and form over the waterfall, drill holes to match mounting holes of the amp. Mark the location of the holes on the carpet, then using some bolts and washers hang the straps in place with the bolts up through the carpet and bolt the amp down to the carpet area.

The straps will help reinforce the carpet and with them hooked over the back will help stabilize and carry any weight there might be with no problem. Also much easier to remove that peeling wood off the back wall.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:27 PM
DanCan81
Advanced

I just wound up putting the box and amp in the rear. The sub was too loud behind my head. The amp is removable and can put the sub towards the front if I wanna store the targa top
Old 08-07-2017, 10:49 AM
unlvrebel
Pro

I just wound up putting the box and amp in the rear. The sub was too loud behind my head. The amp is removable and can put the sub towards the front if I wanna store the targa top
Looks nice.

Good install!

Get notified of new replies

To amp install help and such

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: amp install help and such