Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Speaker Recommendations, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 12:05 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
one thing that really helped the midrange resonance was using foam where i could. eggshell foam or even a camping mattress type. anything that dampens reflective waves. i have strips of this along the bottom of my doors and inside rear enclosures. the hard E sound or ringing can be reflective waves. it's the same reason sealed subwoofers often sound more accurate when you either line the box with foam or stuff it with polyfill. you're breaking up reflective waves which resonate right back through the cone
Funny you should mention the foam, because when I had gone back into my doors to add some more sound deadener I had these 10x10 pieces of foam that I installed inside the doors behind the woofer. I'm not sure if they did much, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I was thinking the same thing, something to absorb some of the reflective sound.
The following users liked this post:
sterw (11-08-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 12:35 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
Sounds like you have put together a pretty nice system! I would never worry about frankensteining a system. It's a necessary evil sometimes to get the right components for the best sound. For instance, I would almost always choose an Alpine head unit and signal processor as I feel they are one of them at the top of the heap and stand up against any other high end offering out there. I am not nearly as big of a fan of their amps and speakers, I mean they are OK, but not the very top end, IMO. So pick and choose to get the best of all worlds!
I took the car for a long ride today and the system sounds pretty good. It sounds pretty good, but not great. I still feel like the clarity and/or crispness could be better? I am not sure exactly, but something is still a little off but I suspect it might be my Pioneer head unit that is the culprit or holding the system back a little. That's why I have mentioned maybe getting a DSP down the line. I never used a DSP before but am considering it just for the added tuning ability and to see if it could clean up the sound just a bit more to make me happy. I will definitely have to do some research before I decide, but do you think a DSP could do the trick?
Old 10-29-2017, 10:27 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I took the car for a long ride today and the system sounds pretty good. It sounds pretty good, but not great. I still feel like the clarity and/or crispness could be better? I am not sure exactly, but something is still a little off but I suspect it might be my Pioneer head unit that is the culprit or holding the system back a little. That's why I have mentioned maybe getting a DSP down the line. I never used a DSP before but am considering it just for the added tuning ability and to see if it could clean up the sound just a bit more to make me happy. I will definitely have to do some research before I decide, but do you think a DSP could do the trick?
That's in my plans for the next round of audio purchases and I remember a poster on here who is from a car audio shop that reported adding a good quality DSP to a Pioneer like yours really cleaned it up so yeah I think it will definitely help.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:25 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

That's in my plans for the next round of audio purchases and I remember a poster on here who is from a car audio shop that reported adding a good quality DSP to a Pioneer like yours really cleaned it up so yeah I think it will definitely help.
it does. i actually heard one the other day. it's how you make pioneer sound.....not like pioneer

was an incredible improvement
Old 10-29-2017, 09:26 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys, that's good to know. That will probably be my next step. I'm going to wait a little while though. When I started this I wasn't looking for everything to be perfect, but every time I spent more money on this system my expectations kept going up. I figure I'm not too far away now, I might as well go all the way and build something I can be really happy with.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:25 PM
racebum
Race Director

Thanks guys, that's good to know. That will probably be my next step. I'm going to wait a little while though. When I started this I wasn't looking for everything to be perfect, but every time I spent more money on this system my expectations kept going up. I figure I'm not too far away now, I might as well go all the way and build something I can be really happy with.
dsp and making enclosures and or sound dampening is the next step.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:51 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

dsp and making enclosures and or sound dampening is the next step.
Agreed. When my interior was gutted, I had almost every square inch including inside the door panels, trunk lid, headliner, and all the other bare surfaces completely covered in Soundskinz. Overkill? Maybe, but the reduction in cabin noise is incredible and a huge benefit to your audio system. I swear my 6.5's in the doors sound like they are in a regular home speaker enclosure the way they deliver. That has been the best mod I could have possibly done. The Z06 has nothing for sound deadening under the already thin carpet provided at the factory. I really was kind of shocked when I first drove it at how loud the interior was. I get it, it saves weight, it's a performance car, blah, blah, blah, but I still expect the refinement of a luxury car to an extent in a corvette. I had no problem sacrificing the weight gain of about 75 lbs to reduce the noise substantially.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:11 PM
racebum
Race Director

Agreed. When my interior was gutted, I had almost every square inch including inside the door panels, trunk lid, headliner, and all the other bare surfaces completely covered in Soundskinz. Overkill? Maybe, but the reduction in cabin noise is incredible and a huge benefit to your audio system. I swear my 6.5's in the doors sound like they are in a regular home speaker enclosure the way they deliver. That has been the best mod I could have possibly done. The Z06 has nothing for sound deadening under the already thin carpet provided at the factory. I really was kind of shocked when I first drove it at how loud the interior was. I get it, it saves weight, it's a performance car, blah, blah, blah, but I still expect the refinement of a luxury car to an extent in a corvette. I had no problem sacrificing the weight gain of about 75 lbs to reduce the noise substantially.

when i had mine the biggest improvement was in the pilot super sports. those tires dropped noise considerably. did you lay the floor boards as well? they were made silly thin out of that balsa type material. on old pavement it can get pretty hummy inside
Old 10-30-2017, 05:18 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

when i had mine the biggest improvement was in the pilot super sports. those tires dropped noise considerably. did you lay the floor boards as well? they were made silly thin out of that balsa type material. on old pavement it can get pretty hummy inside
Yep, covered everything. Went through 9 rolls of the stuff. When I bought it, it had tires on it with a 2006 date code, so changed those out first with Hankooks and that did help a little but the sound deadening made the biggest difference.

Last edited by 02BlownZ06; 10-30-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:24 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

I was strongly considering replacing my sub with the JL 10W6V3. The only thing holding me back is that I am not happy about box options or how much space they will occupy. My current sub is a shallow 10TW3. It's not that bad but wouldn't mind upgrading to a good full size sub. I noticed some nice stealth boxes for the C5 and really wish the C6 had a similar space that could fit a nice sub. Keeping my options open, but not sure if there are many that would give me a look I like and also allow me to store the targa top if needed.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 11-17-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:17 PM
racebum
Race Director

I was strongly considering replacing my sub with the JL 10W6V3. The only thing holding me back is that I am not happy about box options or how much space they will occupy. My current sub is a shallow 10TW3. It's not that bad but wouldn't mind upgrading to a good full size sub. I noticed some nice stealth boxes for the C5 and really wish the C6 had a similar space that could fit a nice sub. Keeping my options open, but not sure if there are many that would give me a look I like and also allow me to store the targa top if needed.
10w6v3 sounds amazing after break in

deadly accurate, deep, get one get one get one get one

it will sound better in a bit larger box than spec. .7 to .9cuft is great heavily stuffed
Old 11-18-2017, 11:35 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

10w6v3 sounds amazing after break in

deadly accurate, deep, get one get one get one get one

it will sound better in a bit larger box than spec. .7 to .9cuft is great heavily stuffed
I really want to add one of these. I just need to come up with a creative box design that I would be happy with and also leave me with some storage space. Easier said than done.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:55 PM
racebum
Race Director

I really want to add one of these. I just need to come up with a creative box design that I would be happy with and also leave me with some storage space. Easier said than done.
that's the problem with the w6. they are deep. long excursion drivers. they are such a pleasant sounding driver when used in a proper enclosure. i think JL sometimes small spec's their drivers just to help them sell. i know when i run the parameters and build the enclosure they test for vs JL spec they sure sound a lot deeper and smoother in the correct box. no resonance what so ever
Old 11-19-2017, 12:14 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

A custom built amp rack with an amp on each side and an enclosure in the middle housing the 10w6 sitting right behind the seats would be the ticket. This would allow you to make the enclosure deep enough to handle that beast. I am thinking a 12w6 would be the ticket for me but a single 10 would still satisfy most, especially one of this pedigree. In the meantime my corner enclosures with two 10's will suffice.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:16 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

This is what I am thinking about only in finished fiberglass:

Old 11-19-2017, 01:39 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

This is what I am thinking about only in finished fiberglass:

Thats something very similar to what I have been contemplating. It’s also a similar design to what I already have which I like except for the fact that mine only holds a shallow sub. Only problem is Targa storage will be sacrificed with the necessary mounting depth for a W6, which is not ideal.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 11-19-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:30 PM
TurboLX
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

My previous setup was a single 10W6V2 in a modified corner enclosure. I basically added an extra MDF ring to accommodate the greater depth of the V6 driver/magnet. You lose targa top storage, but I found that I never remove my top since I switched from the solid to the see-through lexan roof anyway. With 500WRMS, the 10W6v2 was very musical, but the corner location isn't as loud as you would think. I ended up switching to a more centrally mounted 15" driver to make the stereo more "fun". YMMV.

Get notified of new replies

To Speaker Recommendations, need help!

Old 11-21-2017, 04:31 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by TurboLX
My previous setup was a single 10W6V2 in a modified corner enclosure. I basically added an extra MDF ring to accommodate the greater depth of the V6 driver/magnet. You lose targa top storage, but I found that I never remove my top since I switched from the solid to the see-through lexan roof anyway. With 500WRMS, the 10W6v2 was very musical, but the corner location isn't as loud as you would think. I ended up switching to a more centrally mounted 15" driver to make the stereo more "fun". YMMV.
Wow, I bet a 15 blurred your vision for sure, esp in the cabin of a C5!!!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:09 AM
TurboLX
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Wow, I bet a 15 blurred your vision for sure, esp in the cabin of a C5!!!
I know it sounds weird, but the 10W6V2 with 500 watts RMS (JL 500/1 amp) wouldn't seem to pressure load the cabin of my C6 the way it did the previous M3 and Mustang LX that it was in. Setup and amp gains were right on, so I chalked it up to cabin design of the C6 and cancellation. The more centrally mounted 15" seems to do what one would expect from a proper subwoofer setup. It now moves hair, pantlegs and the rear view mirror with ease.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:00 PM
racebum
Race Director

head unit is big

i think you would be happier going alpine or sony. both are a much more balanced sound. pioneer has that forced roll off on the top end and kind of off sounding midbass and muffled midrange. i have heard one through a dsp that improved drastically but am not 100% sure what else was done to that system

the big SQ car audio dealer in my town of portland oregon only uses sony or alpine and actually keeps the other brands around to flip through so people can A+B pioneer, kenwood etc

i liked alpine and sony. agree with the owner, kenwood wasn't bad, better than pioneer. there were very drastic changes in sound and i even was able to tweak the eq and play with the settings to my hearts content

Quick Reply: Speaker Recommendations, need help!