Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Audio advice needed - New OEM Bose vs aftermarket options

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 01:41 PM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Audio advice needed - New OEM Bose vs aftermarket options

Hi guys

My car is an 08 3LZ that came equipped with the option 11.5inch Bose speakers in the door. A few days back, the Bose front speakers died on me. From reading some posts here it would seem that the Bose speakers are self amplified units, and if I replace the speakers with aftermarket alternatives, I would need to spring for an amp and possibly a subwoofer to get any discernible value from the audio system, adding a ton of potential labor and parts expenses.

Since I do not have the budget for a $3-4k audio overhaul job I wanted to ask if there's any viable middle ground here. Should I spent almost $800 (parts+labor quote from a reputable GM shop) on getting new OEM Bose front speakers+tweeters and stick with the old rear speakers or are there any aftermarket options where I can only replace the speakers for the same cost profile and still get similar or slightly better audio performance (the OEM audio performance on these cars are nothing to write home about but I'd be happy if I could get retain that same audio performance thru the aftermarket and rather save the big bucks for the car's performance or maintenance updates rather than a $4k audio system)

From what I understand, there are no aftermarket options available if I choose to just replace the front speakers alone due to the weird self amplified nature of the OEMs? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:53 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't spend that much to get back to OEM. How about spend just a bit more like around $1200 to $1500 and get a modest priced double din w/Nav if you can swing it, a 5 channel amp, front and rear speaks, and a sub. You would be looking at self installation or if you have a buddy that can help but you could elevate your sound system substantially over stock. If you are really trying to squeeze pennies, a single din would save some coin.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:54 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Can always pickup a use daily unit from someone who has upgraded. DIY swapout is very doable

Get notified of new replies

To Audio advice needed - New OEM Bose vs aftermarket options

Quick Reply: Audio advice needed - New OEM Bose vs aftermarket options