Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help with rear cam install!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 11:30 AM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Need help with rear cam install!!

Bought a used DD Mods setup with prewired harness (DNN992 and RP5-GM11)
Went thru parts and did not see a A/V harness so bought the one for the radio ZYP9137-339. I had emailed DD before and he said I only had to hook up the power and ground to the camera, the turn on signal was controlled by the RP5-GM11.
When I put it in reverse it does not even try to go to cam.
I plugged the cam into the rear cam input of the new harness.
Was I suppose to plug it in somewhere else?
Is that why it did not come with the A/V harness?
I have not tried the steering wheel controls yet, but does the SWC mini plug need to be plugged into the radio or is it pre-wired in the harness? It may already be working.
Any other things to look out for?

Hopefully someone who has done this install can help.

thanks

Chuck

Last edited by TXSTICK; 10-23-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:29 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

The video cable goes from the camera to the back of the head unit. Also make sure, depending on your head unit, that the rear camera setting is turned on. The SWC are different depending on head unit brand. I think my Pioneer uses an auxiliary cable while with the Kenwood you have to connect a couple wires?

Here's a DIY install thread to help you out. Created by Dennis a while back.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html
Old 10-23-2017, 01:09 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Yea I saw another post where they were told to hook up the RCA to the back of the radio. The DNN992 has a small A/V cable that plugs in and has the front and rear cam RCA connections. But that was not in the box with the radio when I got, so I ordered it.
I saw this when I was searching and it does not show where the yellow RCA goes, plus it is not the DNN992.

I was sure to check the settings for the cam and it looks like it is set up, but does nothing when I put it in reverse.
There is some ( I think it was) white and purple wires marked reverse that have a little white plug on the end that are not hooked up. But I was told I did not have to hook up a reverse wire.

This harness was pre-wired by DD Mods.

thanks, still searching.

I did email DD Mods and maybe he will know what I need to do.

chuck

Last edited by TXSTICK; 10-23-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:26 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

This is what I found while searching.

"The SW controls are the easiest to use. Simple connect the Blue with yelow stripe to blue with Yellow stripe on radio(Kenwood) or use the 3.5 to plug into the radio.
The SW control module is also pre programmed as well and you just turn the dial to the radio you have(example Kenwood set the dial to 3)

For the chimes...I simple take a piece of black tape and put over the speaker on the chime module and it takes away some of the annoying sound.

You now also have the rear cam connectivity with this harness as well which eliminates the need for connecting the trigger wire to the reverse lights

Dennis "

Chuck

Last edited by TXSTICK; 10-23-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:10 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

You need to hook up the reverse wires. That is your trigger wire. If you hook it up via the harness maybe you don't need it, but if you connect it to the head unit the reverse wire tells your head unit when you are in reverse and to turn on the rear camera input.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:22 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TXSTICK

I did email DD Mods and maybe he will know what I need to do.

chuck
Most paying customers have a hard time getting a reply from Dennis lately. If you bought it used I'm not sure it's fair to trouble him with install problems.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:43 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Most paying customers have a hard time getting a reply from Dennis lately. If you bought it used I'm not sure it's fair to trouble him with install problems.
Fair statement, we will see.

The purple/white on the interface is hooked up to the green on the radio.
I will have to take it all apart again and go thru the wiring and compare it to the ins and outs of the the two diagrams (DNN992 and RP5-GM11)

First I will get my meter out and check the power and ground to the rear cam.

thanks

chuck
Old 10-23-2017, 02:50 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

If the camera is not working, your head unit should still go to reverse camera input and show a black screen. For some reason your head unit is not getting a signal to change to camera input. Just my take.

Edit: I'm not sure about hooking it up to the harness and then not needing a trigger wire though. Maybe in that scenario it could be the camera and/or it's power supply.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 10-23-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:18 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
If the camera is not working, your head unit should still go to reverse camera input and show a black screen. For some reason your head unit is not getting a signal to change to camera input. Just my take.

Edit: I'm not sure about hooking it up to the harness and then not needing a trigger wire though. Maybe in that scenario it could be the camera and/or it's power supply.

If the cam is getting the power and ground I might run another wire from the reverse light to the radio and disconnect the wire on the RP5-GM11.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with rear cam install!!

Quick Reply: Need help with rear cam install!!