Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone use this to help with sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 03:42 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Anyone use this to help with sound?

Amazon Amazon

I am considering one of these to help with reflected sound. Yes, I know the windshield reflects sound too.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:59 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't understand. What would make you think a dash cover will reflect sound? I almost think the opposite. The soft/carpet like fabric would probably help to absorb or muffle the sound, if anything.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:55 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

I would say more than anything in terms of helping, the cover will soften the acoustics of your interior. Little things like that do make a difference in how it sounds in the interior. Have you ever noticed how different your system sounds when a passenger is riding along compared to when you are by yourself? It's dramatic!

If you do not notice that difference then you would probably not notice the difference of adding a dash cover. Just sayin'....
Old 10-31-2017, 01:29 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

have you used a dsp yet? one of the engineers from dynaudio mentioned absolute individual time correction as being how they tune out the sound of reflection.

there's not a lot you can do without making the car look gaudy. one thing i have done is use egg crate foam and spray adhesive inside the doors. cones make sound both ways so dampening what comes out the back does improve what your ears hear. this is only if you don't have internal pods in your doors. if you do use the eggcrate foam in them or cut grooves in the wood. small boxes are reflective by nature

yet another place a perceived reflection is heard is at the crossover point. try crossing the woofer 100-200-300-400-500hz under the tweeter and see what happens

lastly the drivers AND the car play a tune. try playing speakers one by one until you identify the sound you're hearing

if you haven't watched this.....watch

Last edited by racebum; 10-31-2017 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:39 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Well, if you like those covers that one aspect.
Sure it will deaden sound such as "egg crates" or curtains.
May lead you to other up-grades such as additional tweeters.

I think lining the doors w/ Dyno Mat et al would be a better improvement, along with finding current rattles would be a better first step.

Good hunting.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:30 PM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by TheProsecutor
https://www.amazon.com/Corvette-Blac...000BHSWLQ?th=1

I am considering one of these to help with reflected sound. Yes, I know the windshield reflects sound too.
Like placing an area rug in a room, it would probably absorb a minimal amount. But not enough for you to be happy with the purchase.

To suppress and absorb interior noise at the source you could consider The Blockit. The install is almost as easy as that dash mat.

There are other alternatives but this one does not glue down permanent weight. Check it out.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ener-sale.html

Hope that helps
Old 11-01-2017, 03:39 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Well, if you like those covers that one aspect.
Sure it will deaden sound such as "egg crates" or curtains.
May lead you to other up-grades such as additional tweeters.

I think lining the doors w/ Dyno Mat et al would be a better improvement, along with finding current rattles would be a better first step.

Good hunting.
without a doubt. i thought the car had already been wrapped with dynamat. that's a 1st step for sure

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use this to help with sound?

Quick Reply: Anyone use this to help with sound?