Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Upgrading c5 stereo system little by little.. few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:21 PM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Upgrading c5 stereo system little by little.. few ?s

I’d love to sink a ton of money into a full upgrade at once, but with house projects in the works and a baby on the way, I simply can’t do that..

So I recently bought a set of JL C2-650 for the door speakers (my passenger woofer is blown, sounds like *** & distorts), a metra speaker harness, as well as a set of cheap plastic adapter plates.. they aren’t too thin, so I think they’ll suffice once I trim the mounting holes enough to fit the speakers..

Here’s the adapters I have:
Amazon Amazon

Has anybody used these?

Next question.. I will eventually order a double din bezel, probably the metra one, and a double din receiver.. but for now, will the factory unit be able to drive those speakers at all?

& I don’t really plan on running any of the speakers on an amp.. I’m fairly certain a new receiver will provide plenty of power for my listening.. will the metra speaker harness that goes to the door speakers still require a PAC ROEM harness if I’m not using the factory amps? I’m still learning how the audio system in the c5 functions.. never messed with it and I’m tired of the crappy bose, shitty speakers, and stone-age CD player..

I’d also like to add a small amp and maybe a 10” sub someday down the road.. how easy would it be to install without ripping the whole interior apart? Seems like most of the audiophiles run an intricate wiring install underneath the carpet, to each speaker and subs.. is there not a way to simply run power to the sub?

Thanks y’all!

Last edited by OleStraightStick; 11-08-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:28 AM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

no suggestions or ideas?
Old 11-11-2017, 07:39 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

the easiest way to upgrade sound in a c5 on a budget is with a pac converter on the stock deck, however, if you do this you will also likely want a cheap line driver / eq like a clarion eqs755 which is often on amazon around 60ish dollars

you can use factory wiring for the mids and tweets. if you have the c2 front components and also decide to do the same as a coax for the rear you'll only need a small amp. the c2 gets in trouble even crossed over correctly above 50w or thereabouts the voice coils overheat and they can pop. often times if it's clean power and you aren't physically beating them to death you will smell them before they pop giving you ample warning

if you wanted to really do a budget system you could use the c2's front and rear, get a rockford fosgate punch p400x4 for $200 via amazon. use the front 2 channels on the c2s and the rear 2 for a sub. the rear coax c2s you can balance with resistors since you won't have a fader. a pair of 4ohm 25w resistors ran in parallel makes a 50w 2ohm resistor which you place on the + side of the speaker wire. this cuts the rear sound down about 1.5db keeping your front stage sounding like a front stage. those resistors are under $1 each. now pick out a 4ohm subwoofer and you're set.

choose if you want to stay OE with the deck or go double din now. kind of a waste of money to setup the OE deck if you plan on changing it soon

1. rockford p400x4 $200
2. jl c2 coax $99
3. stinger wiring kit for amp $30-40
4. resistors $4

there's an inexpensive bargain start

Last edited by racebum; 11-12-2017 at 04:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OleStraightStick (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 02:10 AM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Oh I will definitely go with an aftermarket double din.. hate the oem deck!
Old 11-12-2017, 04:30 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by OleStraightStick
Oh I will definitely go with an aftermarket double din.. hate the oem deck!
do this 1st. the only reason to stay oem is cosmetics. keeping everything factory correct. if you don't care about that go aftermarket. my 3 favs are

1. alpine 960hdmi $550
2. kenwood 9904s $550
3. sony xav ax100 as low as $349

sony is a winner for a budget system. sounds good and very functional.

SQ wise pioneer is my least favorite
OleStraightStick (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 11:00 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Alpine iLX-207.
If you are ever in Daytona, stop by. You can listen to my barely decent system. ~$3k in equipment alone.
OleStraightStick (11-15-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 09:02 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I like the android head units. They are cheep and do everything. You have to trim the Metra bezel a little on the sides to get them to fit but no big deal.
OleStraightStick (12-10-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 04:35 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

If you pick one of the 3 Racebum suggested you will be very happy.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Gadget01
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powering speakers directly from a head unit technically works, but if you want anything that you can listen to at some volume AND sound similar to what the artist intended, get an amplifier(s). Go to a professional installation shop and price some options. If you know what you are doing, DIY can save you a great deal of money. If you don't know what you are doing, DIY will cost you more money vs having a pro do the work for you.

For the DIY route, being patient and waiting for good deals on used equipment can save about half the cost vs new. Wait until you have all the hardware you need. I have pieced together systems in almost every car I've owned. The above is what I wish someone would have recommended to me. I'm sure I would have probably ignored it and made the same silly decisions though.

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrading c5 stereo system little by little.. few ?s

Quick Reply: Upgrading c5 stereo system little by little.. few ?s