Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

replacing Kenwood 8120??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 06:24 PM
FRED HAMBLE
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 80 Posts

Default replacing Kenwood 8120??

I have a Kenwood 8120 which I am happy with but feel I need to upgrade as the equalizer seems to be off. Can't seem to get it to work. I am told it sounds tiny.
I love the garmin app that is in the Kenmore. I have Bluetooth/Back up caamera /ipod hook up and nav. Would want a unit that will fit in the existing modified center console.
Any suggestions??

Do any of the new units have Waze capability and sync to an Android phone?? Also would like Syrius.
I am asking for a lot and don't want to spend a fortune.
Thanks
Fred
Old 12-17-2017, 12:18 PM
FRED HAMBLE
Melting Slicks

bump
Old 12-28-2017, 07:04 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I have that Kenwood in my car once 2008. It is said to rock solid. I like it so much, iput the same one in my Porsche 944.

I would say if it sounds tinny, it's your speakers.

I have component high end Pioneer speakers and my system sounds absolutely unbelievable. Seems to sound better than the live bands in Woodstock.

Buy new speaker and keep the Kenwood.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:31 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

I just installed a Sony XAV-AX100 specifically for Android Auto and Waze. It is a single din unit with a double din face/screen, which made installation really easy with plenty of room for the interface and wires in the back.

I was pleasantly surprised by the look (very clean UI and matte finish matches the console trim unlike the Kenwood/Alpine/Pioneer glossy plastic finish) and feel of the unit. Multi-function physical volume **** is great. Easy install with the PAC RP5-GM11 interface (not sure if yours is the same for the C5).

Android Auto integration as well as camera interface is seemless. Sound is GREAT with multiple EQ options and DSO function works really well. It has the best resistive-type screen I've ever used; bright and very responsive.

Three drawbacks: 1) There is no CD/DVD drive, but it does accept audio and video through USB. 2) It doesn't have ability to add a Sirius/XM receiver, but you could stream XM through your phone if you have the upgraded service. 3) There is only one camera input. I don't need backup help, but I do worry about bashing my front end so I installed a front camera.

Anyway - I know Sony isn't at the top of people's list when it comes to car audio, but I was really surprised by this unit and particularly what you get for your money. Worth a look if you're not looking for all of the bells and whistles but want a highly functional, very reasonably-priced Android Auto/Car Play capable double-din unit.

PS. I went through Crutchfield who made ordering all of the right install pieces very easy. Fast shipping and great service.

Last edited by CrvtBB; 12-29-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:49 PM
FRED HAMBLE
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the feed back. Will look into speakers first as that will be more cost affected. Like my current unit it is just the sound quality
Happy New Year
Fred.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:34 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ragtop-yellow
Thanks for the feed back. Will look into speakers first as that will be more cost affected. Like my current unit it is just the sound quality
Happy New Year
Fred.
The dnx8120 connects to my android phone through Bluetooth really nicely. I have 4000 high bitrate quality songs on my phone.

Do you know how to set the equalizer? Start out with the tone FLAT. And if you really care about sound, buy the best speakers you can afford for the front. Disconnect the center channel factory speaker if it's not already.

Also go through all the audio customizations too. most should be off.

You should trust me on this..the Kenwood is a great stereo and GPS.

Do you have the manuals?
Old 01-02-2018, 01:43 PM
FRED HAMBLE
Melting Slicks

Happy New Year!
thanks for the reply. I have manuals and read about equalizer. Local stero guy wants to sell me an aux equilizer for 700. I tried to set the equalizer according to manual but not very successful. The equalizer on my Ford Flex is constantly adjusting as the music plays , The sound is great thru the stock Ford speakers. What are the customizing audio you refer to??
What speakers do u have ?? Also how do u link the android to the Knewood??
thanks
Fred
Old 01-02-2018, 02:10 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ragtop-yellow
Happy New Year!
thanks for the reply. I have manuals and read about equalizer. Local stero guy wants to sell me an aux equilizer for 700. I tried to set the equalizer according to manual but not very successful. The equalizer on my Ford Flex is constantly adjusting as the music plays , The sound is great thru the stock Ford speakers. What are the customizing audio you refer to??
What speakers do u have ?? Also how do u link the android to the Knewood??
thanks
Fred
The equalizer is great on the Kenwood..an aux equalizer is way over kill. It doesn't adjust as the music plays. The questions you ask are all complex but easily explained in the manual. The android phone th Bluetooth will easily connect to the Kenwood once it's paired s described in the manual. There re two manuals..install and operation.

I have Pioneer component speakers in the front, powered by a separate arc miniamp placed in the factory location under the passenger footwell.

You should go to a Kenwood stereo place...
Old 01-04-2018, 12:59 PM
FRED HAMBLE
Melting Slicks

Thank you for the info.
Fred

Get notified of new replies

To replacing Kenwood 8120??

Quick Reply: replacing Kenwood 8120??