Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Apple CarPlay - best bang for your buck

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 08:34 PM
csvette8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apple CarPlay - best bang for your buck

I知 not looking to get the top of the line headunit just something that satisfies CarPlay functionality, Bluetooth integration, and quick/smooth OS. I think capacitive screen might be something I知 interested in if it doesn稚 break the bank. My budget is $500 or less on headunit alone.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:30 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I've always had real good luck with Pioneer systems, I suggest you check them out. I currently have the AVIC-8000 NEX in my truck and the AVIC-8201 NEX in my vette, they're great full function systems but are way over your budget, but they make systems closer to what you want to pay. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car

Last edited by madsonp; 12-14-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:54 AM
csvette8
Instructor

Originally Posted by madsonp
I've always had real good luck with Pioneer systems, I suggest you check them out. I currently have the AVIC-8000 NEX in my truck and the AVIC-8201 NEX in my vette, they're great full function systems but are way over your budget, but they make systems closer to what you want to pay. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car
Thanks. You can't really go wrong with top of the line. I'm just trying to update the vette with relevant technology, not going to re-haul the entire audio system. I was considering the DDX9903S because it hits all the marks that I'm looking for, including the capacitive touchscreen. The pioneers in the same price range do not have the capacitive touchscreen, and the advanced bluetooth settings.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:27 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by csvette8
Thanks. You can't really go wrong with top of the line. I'm just trying to update the vette with relevant technology, not going to re-haul the entire audio system. I was considering the DDX9903S because it hits all the marks that I'm looking for, including the capacitive touchscreen. The pioneers in the same price range do not have the capacitive touchscreen, and the advanced bluetooth settings.
I installed the 9903 last year. Overall a good unit. A few challenges that I noted -
  • No **** for volume control. I didn't realize how much I would miss this. The buttons can be a bit difficult to find without looking.
  • Main radio screen is a little busy looking.
  • Radio presets are a bit difficult to navigate. Again, no buttons, only screen.
  • Titles of digital content are shortened. I notice this more with podcasts. It would be great if the title scrolled if it were over X characters...
  • I have encountered "skipping" of digital content. So far, only in the heat. I think it is due to the aftermarket USB extension that I added to replace the cig lighter. Will be taking it out this winter to test in the summer.

That's about it. Screen is good. Sound is driven by the amp and speakers...
Old 12-15-2017, 08:23 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

I have heard good things on the Sony XAV-AX100, I almost bought it but found a good deal on an Alpine I was was looking at

The Sony has CarPlay. it is around $349, There is the newer Sony XAV-AX200, it adds a DVD player and SiriusXM ability. I think that one is around $449.

There is a modded piece of firmware to remove the nag screen on the AX100..
Old 12-16-2017, 09:55 PM
SEA7
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do the DMX7704S by kenwood.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:15 PM
csvette8
Instructor

Originally Posted by SEA7
I would do the DMX7704S by kenwood.
I picked up the DMX7703S, didn稚 get installed yet. but not sure if I was resistive screen.

Get notified of new replies

To Apple CarPlay - best bang for your buck

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay - best bang for your buck