Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

better than stock sound/features but lighter weight?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 02:21 PM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Default better than stock sound/features but lighter weight?

I'm not an audiophile so looking for some help. I have a C5 z06 that most of the time, I don't listen to the radio in... how ever I do use it for my phone and on long trips with the wife-person... with that said I'd like to improve the componets in the car but, only if I can actually take some of the weight out of the car... are there some speakers out there that weigh less but have a better quality sound than the stock speakers? the car currently has a kenwood single din head unit. Id like a double din touch screen with nav ( love the sync 3 in my explorer)

I tried a serch in here and could not quite pinpoint what I was looking for.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:28 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

I am not sure what the importance is on shedding the weight of the stock speakers. I couldn’t imagine them weighing more than like 10-15 lbs all together. Most of the weight from any speaker is going to be the magnet and odds are the magnet on any (good) aftermarket speaker is going to be bigger and heavier than the stock speakers. Unless you are a competitive race car driver, I wouldn’t focus too much about reducing the weight of your car.

What is your budget and what is your ultimate goal? If it is just a double din unit and better sound quality, it will not be hard. You will need to replace your bezel with one that will hold a double din head unit since the stock one in a C5 has a 1.5 din opening.

If you have a smart phone (iOS or Android device), take a look at the JVC KW-M730BT. Budget friendly as you can pick it up for about $300. It does not have built in nav because it will use your phone for navigation (Apple maps/Google maps). I prefer this because I never have to deal with out of date maps. Also this does not have a CD/DVD slot so if you have a ton of audio CD’s you like to listen to, this will not work.

As far as speakers, I recommend you go out and listen to a few. What sounds good is subjective and speakers I like you may not like. If you are not planning on adding an aftermarket amp I would steer away from component speakers. While they will usually sound better than coax speakers, most head units cannot provide enough power to take advantage of components speakers.
The following users liked this post:
ASRoff (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 07:04 PM
ASRoff
Drifting

Thanks for the response... This is a daily driver z06 I'm looking to take weight out of it but not reduce creature comforts. Since, I want the best possible MPG AND performance...... I'm left with reducing the weight of certain components. An example is the starter went out on the car... I replaced the heavy stock one with a mini-torque starter that weighs in at 7.5 lbs. I know my pursuit is a bit "extreme" but, its a fun hobby. As soon as the brakes are ready for replacement, I'll go the ZR1 carbon brakes route (as another example). The goal is efficiency when MPG and performance are in consideration. I asked because with today's tech I can't see why the sound could be better with lighter components. I know some call me crazy but if you saw how extreme weight savings is in my day job...... well....

Last edited by ASRoff; 02-21-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:14 PM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think there's much to be gained by seeking out light weight speakers, not that they don't exist. There are speakers with plastic frames and neodymium magnets that *could* work. These are not designed specifically as car audio speakers and surely will require an amplifier and most likely some form of DSP, thereby negating any weight saved by requiring more equipment.

"Better" is subjective, but I don't think you'll improve too much over the stock sound without a lot of research and trial and error if you are going to put the restriction of light weight on the components.

Sometimes we perceive "different" as "better" I'm sure you could get different, but not so sure about it being objectively better AND lighter.

Also, what about the current system don't you like? Is there something specifically that is bothering you about it? Otherwise, why change it "just to change it"

Last edited by daverulz; 02-27-2018 at 03:29 PM.
ASRoff (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 01:55 AM
ASRoff
Drifting

Well Dave, Thanks for the response....It looks like I may be chasing a ghost... the single DIN kenwood is pretty basic and the tuner is not very good... Id prefer a touch screen kind of like the sync 3 that I have in my new exploder.... but If i go this route, Id prefer to upgrade the system as a whole...
Old 02-28-2018, 09:37 AM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I do think that it would be a fun exercise to see if you could keep the total weight the same or less than the factory stuff.

But as I mentioned, any serious performance increase is going to come from the addition of an amplifier, and I think even the smallest ones will negate any weight savings in speakers. I also think that weight savings in speakers will be hard - from my recollection the stock speakers are already plastic framed with light motors.

An interesting approach might be to avoid putting a subwoofer in and putting the biggest speakers you can fit in the door to act as sub/midbass drivers, along with a full-range to cover where that drops off. 4 speakers total. One amplifier. Your new double din head unit...I wonder if you could do it and keep the weight close to the stock components. Would be fun to see. Does anyone know what the stock components weigh in total?

Last edited by daverulz; 02-28-2018 at 09:49 AM.
ASRoff (03-04-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 04:51 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

There are some component speakers that use neodymium magnets. Kenwood had a line back in the day with composite baskets too, they'e crazy light and sound good, not a ton of bass though. Stuff is out there, rare nowdays though
ASRoff (03-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To better than stock sound/features but lighter weight?

Quick Reply: better than stock sound/features but lighter weight?