Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Questions about PAC RP5-GM11 wiring with Kenwood in C6

Old 03-17-2018, 12:49 AM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 135 Posts

Default Questions about PAC RP5-GM11 wiring with Kenwood in C6

First, I haven't done this before. Second, I did search around, but I struck out. Sorry if I missed it, as I am sure I am not the first to ask.

I have the following that I plan to install in my C6 with factory non-nav Bose system:
  • PAC RP5-GM11
  • Kenwood DMX7704S
  • Metra Bezel

Right. Got everything I need. I think. Anyway...

I took the PAC unit out of the box and took a look a the harnesses. It made sense to plug the PAC "input" harness (left) and "output" (right) as shown in the attached images. I also set the little arrow dial to the #3 (Kenwood) setting.

Then, I understand that I match the Kenwood harness wire colors with the same color wires of the PAC "output" harness and solder/heat shrink them. No biggie.

I also do this with the SWC cable (forgot to show it in the pics).

Then I pop the harness out of the factory head unit, and pop them into the PAC harness. Right so far? I think so.

So here's my questions:
  1. What do I do if there are wires on either the Kenwood and/or PAC harness that do not match up to the other? At first glance, I think there might be a couple. Just leave them as-is? Is that a common thing?
  2. Anyone know what the RCA jacks are for on the PAC harness?
  3. I cannot find a straight answer on this one...do I need to use the PAC chime or Kenwood microphone or do I still keep the factory versions?
  4. Any suggestions on where the best place is to to put the PAC box?
  5. And finally, any other pieces of advice for me while I do this wiring/hookup? Any tips or tricks that I might find useful? I did find the FAQ on how to get to and remove the factory unit, that's not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Attached Images   

Last edited by JDebler; 03-17-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:02 AM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

First of all, the manual on the Kenwood should tell you what/where to connect the PAC harness. I just installed a new Pioneer HU using the same controller and had no issues. (Well, as far as wiring the harnesses was concerned.)

You will need to run the new microphone for anything related to the new HU. Your existing mic will still be active for Onstar (if you have it), but that's about it.

You absolutely need the PAC chime. I just placed it down in the cavity once the new HU was in place. There's plenty of room below. As far as the PAC unit it will just tuck into the back as best you can along with all the harnesses.

The RCA jacks aren't needed if you are using the factory Bose amp.

You should consider front and rear cameras if your new Kenwood supports them. They are invaluable and although a bit of extra work, well worth it in my opinion.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:28 AM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Awesome. Thanks for confirming that I am on the right track. And yes, I got this with the intent of added cameras. I have one for the rear, and will be getting one for the front.

Last edited by JDebler; 03-17-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:42 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Here is a helpful thread if you haven't seen it already.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html
Old 03-17-2018, 07:08 PM
mggray87
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred

I jist installed this exact setup with 2 cameras in my 08 z06. I had a lot of help with these guys on the forum. couldn't do it without them. as I just did this install last sunday message me if u need a hand. and if I cant help ya. These guys here definitely can!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:27 PM
mggray87
Racer

Default 9704s

So here's my questions:
  1. What do I do if there are wires on either the Kenwood and/or PAC harness that do not match up to the other? At first glance, I think there might be a couple. Just leave them as-is? Is that a common thing? I have the bose setup not sure if its different. But test before u screw everything back in. But Every wire on the kenwood unit had a matching wire on the Cars Pac Unit for me. If that's not true for you. what colors are not there?
  2. Anyone know what the RCA jacks are for on the PAC harness?
  3. I cannot find a straight answer on this one...do I need to use the PAC chime or Kenwood microphone or do I still keep the factory versions? RCA Jacks are not used. just leave them as is
  4. Any suggestions on where the best place is to to put the PAC box? I placed it behind the unit towards the passender side. Plenty of room there I had enough room to put the PAC unit and the extra length of USB cables that I ran through the cig lighter. everything fit. I suggest before u put stuff back there for the final screw down. Zip tie wires together and try to make the harness neat. Makes it super easy to put everything back there with ease. plus it wont look like a birds nest. I have OCD
  5. And finally, any other pieces of advice for me while I do this wiring/hookup? Any tips or tricks that I might find useful? I did find the FAQ on how to get to and remove the factory unit, that's not an issue. I wasn't going to do a rear cam. guys on here convinced me to do it. and a valid point is. you have the console all taken apart now. do it while its a apart so you don't have to do it again. its not hard. but you never know. id hate to do it more than you have to for the chance of a clip accidently breaking or just something to go wrong. So run your rear camera and front.. At least run wires to back of unit to where u can put it together then run later
Old 03-17-2018, 10:38 PM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred

Perfect that is super helpful!

Originally Posted by mggray87
Every wire on the kenwood unit had a matching wire on the Cars Pac Unit for me. If that's not true for you. what colors are not there?[/B]
I just did a more careful wire to wire comparison. Everything matches up in what you could call the "main bundles" of each harness. There's a few that are not part of this main bundle.
On the Kenwood harness, there is a light green PRK SW wire. There's also a purple with white stripe, which is the REVERSE. For these two, I am not 100% sure what to do with. I am getting different answers when I search.

On the PAC harness, there is a group of 3 bundled separately with the label of NAV OUTPUTS, and they are teal, pink and purple with a white stripe. I have a feeling that I don't need these.

I can provide pics if it would help this make more sense.

RCA Jacks are not used. just leave them as is
Got it!

I placed it behind the unit towards the passender side. Plenty of room there I had enough room to put the PAC unit and the extra length of USB cables that I ran through the cig lighter. everything fit. I suggest before u put stuff back there for the final screw down. Zip tie wires together and try to make the harness neat. Makes it super easy to put everything back there with ease. plus it wont look like a birds nest. I have OCD
Awesome thanks. I am OCD as well. I want to do this right. I don't want rattles and such. Plus when I do things, I like to try to do them the right way and do them once.

I wasn't going to do a rear cam. guys on here convinced me to do it. and a valid point is. you have the console all taken apart now. do it while its a apart so you don't have to do it again. its not hard. but you never know. id hate to do it more than you have to for the chance of a clip accidently breaking or just something to go wrong. So run your rear camera and front.. At least run wires to back of unit to where u can put it together then run later
Awesome, I have a rear camera and plan for a front. I know from the link mentioned above how to run the cable to the rear. However, where is a good place to run a wire to the front?

Thanks for all the info everyone!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:45 PM
mggray87
Racer

as far as green park break... cut it short Solder it to the black ground on the Kenwood harness. then the black from kenwood goes to black ground on harness. and the reverse wire is on the pac rp5-gm11. its bundled with the GPS or nav wires that u aren't going to use..... double check.

just reread your post.. yes NAV output 3 wires.. pink teal.. wont use... the purple white is reverse.. goes to kenwood purple white reverse wire.....

Running front camera... on passenger side. there is a huge grommet that goes into the firewall at the fuse box by passenger food.. I bought 12g solid electrical wire and use that as my fishing line for camera wires.. and carefully poked it through found near fuse box..... then taped camera wire and carefully pulled it through... then ran wire on the side over wheel well. used zip ties on other wires like my battery tender wires. and then down a small gap by air filter in far front to get to the front grille.

Last edited by mggray87; 03-17-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:48 PM
mggray87
Racer

if I remember correctly they aren't matching Purple.. but it is in fact a reverse wire... light purple and a brighter purple. but that wire is there...
Old 03-17-2018, 11:05 PM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

as far as green park break... cut it short Solder it to the black ground on the Kenwood harness. then the black from kenwood goes to black ground on harness.
Ah yes...I did know that. Thanks for confirming.

and the reverse wire is on the pac rp5-gm11. its bundled with the GPS or nav wires that u aren't going to use..... double check.
if I remember correctly they aren't matching Purple.. but it is in fact a reverse wire... light purple and a brighter purple. but that wire is there...
You are correct, they are slightly different in color. So yeah, I don't think I use the NAV OUTPUTS on the PAc
According to the Kenwood manual, I should connect that purple/white to the reverse lamp harness for rear view camera.

One last question...I don't believe that my Kenwood unit has nav...but it came with a nav antenna which is confusing. Do you know if I still need to use it?

THANK YOU for the help!
Old 03-18-2018, 12:14 AM
mggray87
Racer

purple white from kenwood to purple white to harness that's its.. no lamp no other connections... Color to color.... purple white to purple white and heat shrink call it done. 9704s does not have NAV. so those nav output wires u wont use except that purple white.. tuck the 2 others away. not sure what camera u got.. but the 2 green camera wires u wont use unless u get a kenwood camera.. I used pioneer didn't you it.. pioneer camera u don't need to hook up to any reverse light , lamp or reverse white the kenwood automatically detects u. just hook the red and ground and RCA video that's it.

NAV antenna.. yes hook it up... your not using the old one.. hook it up. and mount it on top of the Vent... it has a square metal mount.. I trimmed it a hair to make it fit nice.. but put the GPS antenna to the flat mount and stick the flat mount on the open area of the AC vent inside the dash. you will see a perfect spot for it.

Last edited by mggray87; 03-18-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:22 PM
JSBZ51
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently doing the exact same install so thanks for the information.

One question...why do we need to connect the Nav antenna as the DMX7704s is a non-nav head unit?
Old 03-19-2018, 01:13 PM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JSBZ51
One question...why do we need to connect the Nav antenna as the DMX7704s is a non-nav head unit?
I was kinda wondering the same thing...
Old 03-19-2018, 01:18 PM
mggray87
Racer

Originally Posted by JDebler
I was kinda wondering the same thing...
Hook it up stick it on vent
Old 03-19-2018, 02:11 PM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Hook it up stick it on vent
Right, but why would we need to hook up a GPS antenna to a non-nav head unit?
Old 03-19-2018, 02:26 PM
mggray87
Racer

Originally Posted by JDebler
Right, but why would we need to hook up a GPS antenna to a non-nav head unit?
maybe when you use Apple carplay or Android auto and run maps or waze and such it helps stay accurate. Or for onstar it helps location. Don' hold me to this. It' Just a wild guess. I've just seen it hooked up and it' easy to do. So I just did it.
The following users liked this post:
NBVette_Canada (01-04-2021)
Old 03-19-2018, 03:00 PM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

maybe when you use Apple carplay or Android auto and run maps or waze and such it helps stay accurate. Or for onstar it helps location. Don' hold me to this. It' Just a wild guess. I've just seen it hooked up and it' easy to do. So I just did it.
Good points. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about PAC RP5-GM11 wiring with Kenwood in C6

Old 03-19-2018, 05:02 PM
JSBZ51
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1&d=1521492897
I have removed the factory Bose Nav Unit.
Any idea what the white, 2 wire connector is for?
Also, the grey connector in the second photo is, I believe, the factory GPS antenna. Any reason I can't plug this antenna into the DMX7704s?
Attached Images   
Old 03-19-2018, 07:31 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

JSBZ51, if the connectors are the same you can re-use the factory nav antenna. With my Pioneer the plugs were not compatible so I had no choice but to mount the pioneer supplied GPS antenna. I believe some of the Kenwoods have the same connector as the factory unit and if so you can use it.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:01 AM
chrisk85085
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Antenna adapter

Hi I saw that you just installed a Kenwood headunit. I am in the process of doing it now. I hope you don’t mind me asking but did you buy the Metra antenna adapter and if so what was the model you bought? I think
Metra 40-GM10 is the correct one but want to be sure. Thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about PAC RP5-GM11 wiring with Kenwood in C6