Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone amplified the stock bose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:59 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Default Anyone amplified the stock bose?

I'm kind of stuck in a dilemma (albeit a temporary one). All the parts for my install are rapidly flying in. I should have 100% of my gear by Wed next week or so. The dilemma is about speakers. I can't make up my mind about which speakers I want since I haven't heard (in person) some of the ones I'm considering. But I don't want my indecision to slow down my install because the Bose system is utter garbage. So I'm considering going through with my install, but amplifying the stock speakers until I figure out which real speakers to buy and install. My question for the community is, have you ever heard an amplified stock Bose system? What were your impressions? Was it miserable? Great? Keep in mind this will be in a C6 ZO6 with a FULL install meaning sound deadening, powerful sub in custom enclosure, HU, and amps. Thanks for input.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:50 PM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If your stock speakers are anything like the little flimsy garbage speakers in the c5, you’ll probably blow them
Old 04-05-2018, 07:32 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Possibly. But I was kind of hoping they could handle filtered frequency with a little clean power...at least until I found some speakers I like.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:16 AM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Hey it’s worth a try lol.. idk if you’re going for decent budget quality or high end speakers, but I threw a set of these Alpine SPR in mine recently, powered by a 5 channel Alpine amp and am quite impressed

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-06-2018, 06:27 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

I'm very familiar with those as I have run several sets of those in the past. Very good speaker that can handle a lot of power. I was considering them for the rear speakers in 5.25" coaxials. Good value for the performance.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:09 AM
TurboLX
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

You previously stated that "more speakers equals more quality. Period." So running the stock 7 speaker Bose system MUST sound better than my three channel install.

Kidding aside, if you look at the paper cone Bose speakers with their tiny magnets and shallow excursion, you'll quickly see why it's best to just dump them in favor of almost any other component level hardware for an audiophile. The impedances are also goofy for Bose, but many good quality aftermarket amps probably will be able to handle it with proper gain adjustment. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time making all those speaker level connections if you're just going to pull it all out again really soon.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:44 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboLX
You previously stated that "more speakers equals more quality. Period." So running the stock 7 speaker Bose system MUST sound better than my three channel install.

Kidding aside, if you look at the paper cone Bose speakers with their tiny magnets and shallow excursion, you'll quickly see why it's best to just dump them in favor of almost any other component level hardware for an audiophile. The impedances are also goofy for Bose, but many good quality aftermarket amps probably will be able to handle it with proper gain adjustment. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time making all those speaker level connections if you're just going to pull it all out again really soon.
They are junk. They look like $5.00 Radio Shack speakers.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:30 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

All good input. I've always known Bose was junk. I suppose I could just run some $1-200 speakers until I'm ready for the "actual" speaker purchase to appease my tastes.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:05 AM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Ok, if I pull the entire Bose system is new wiring needed or do I just put in new speakers and HU?
Old 04-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Yes, that will work. But you may lose some factory abilities such as door chimes and on star.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:07 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by EVRose
They are junk. They look like $5.00 Radio Shack speakers.

Out of curiosity...where were all of those located in your car? Obviously the 2 door 10s, 3.5's, and the rear 5.25's are the ones I'm familiar with. But that's only 6 speakers. You have 10 in this pic...where are the other 4 located and what do they do?

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 04-07-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:32 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
Out of curiosity...where were all of those located in your car? Obviously the 2 door 10s, 3.5's, and the rear 5.25's are the ones I'm familiar with. But that's only 6 speakers. You have 10 in this pic...where are the other 4 located and what do they do?
That isn't my picture. I don't think all of those were in one car, not a C6 anyway. I think they are just an example of both versions of woofers- powered and non-powered. The center woofer is powered, the other two are not. The 2 medium sized one's are rear speakers and the smaller one's are door/dash speakers. I didn't take pictures of mine when I replaced them but that's what they looked like.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:20 AM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm kind of stuck in a dilemma (albeit a temporary one). All the parts for my install are rapidly flying in. I should have 100% of my gear by Wed next week or so. The dilemma is about speakers. I can't make up my mind about which speakers I want since I haven't heard (in person) some of the ones I'm considering. But I don't want my indecision to slow down my install because the Bose system is utter garbage. So I'm considering going through with my install, but amplifying the stock speakers until I figure out which real speakers to buy and install. My question for the community is, have you ever heard an amplified stock Bose system? What were your impressions? Was it miserable? Great? Keep in mind this will be in a C6 ZO6 with a FULL install meaning sound deadening, powerful sub in custom enclosure, HU, and amps. Thanks for input.

Did you go through with your plan. How did you get access to the factory wires for the doors to run them to the new amp?
Old 04-25-2018, 08:37 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Callaway DrDon
Did you go through with your plan. How did you get access to the factory wires for the doors to run them to the new amp?
I didn't. I decided to remove all Bose anything and replaced them with good stuff and my own wiring. Especially after I saw the wiring for the stock stuff. It's like 24 gauge wire. I've seen thicker gauge hair! LOL! The ONLY remaining piece of Bose is the factory amp running the door chime and the speaker it comes out of. FWIW, I got it fired up last night and heard it for the first time...with the gains (on the amps) set to almost 0, it sounded crystal clear and razor sharp. I think I made the right decision to go all aftermarket. There's just no excuse for how terrible the Bose stuff is.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:23 AM
EVRose
Race Director

I didn't. I decided to remove all Bose anything and replaced them with good stuff and my own wiring. Especially after I saw the wiring for the stock stuff. It's like 24 gauge wire. I've seen thicker gauge hair! LOL! The ONLY remaining piece of Bose is the factory amp running the door chime and the speaker it comes out of. FWIW, I got it fired up last night and heard it for the first time...with the gains (on the amps) set to almost 0, it sounded crystal clear and razor sharp. I think I made the right decision to go all aftermarket. There's just no excuse for how terrible the Bose stuff is.
and it's been that way for YEARS!
Old 04-25-2018, 11:38 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by EVRose
and it's been that way for YEARS!
Fun fact that they no longer produce ANY complete speaker in America. Should say something to GM...but unfortunately, it doesn't.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone amplified the stock bose?

Quick Reply: Anyone amplified the stock bose?