Notices
Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Worth it to upgrade C5 speakers?

 
Old 04-16-2018, 02:17 PM
  #1  
Sick c6
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Sick c6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2015
Location: Arizona (AZ)
Posts: 50
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Worth it to upgrade C5 speakers?

Ive been doing a fair amouont of research to upgrade my stereo on my C5 with the bose system. Im currently all stock. I have found that I can change out the rear speakers and the 3.5 speakers in the doors, but without an amp and head unit cannot get rid of the bose speakers in the door. Is it worth upgrading just the 3.5 and 6.5 speakers in the rear? Would a seperate amp just for those speakers help? Mine sounds like crap when its cranked up with the roof off. Im not looking for a crazy system and not wanting to spend a bunch on a double din, amp, all sepakers, sub, etc. That money can go towards go fast parts. Just looking for something decent sounding.

Last edited by Sick c6; 04-16-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Sick c6 is offline  
Old 04-20-2018, 10:05 AM
  #2  
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor
 
TheRadioFlyer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: Montgomery Republic of Texas
Posts: 7,556
Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sick c6 View Post
Ive been doing a fair amouont of research to upgrade my stereo on my C5 with the bose system. Im currently all stock. I have found that I can change out the rear speakers and the 3.5 speakers in the doors, but without an amp and head unit cannot get rid of the bose speakers in the door. Is it worth upgrading just the 3.5 and 6.5 speakers in the rear? Would a seperate amp just for those speakers help? Mine sounds like crap when its cranked up with the roof off. Im not looking for a crazy system and not wanting to spend a bunch on a double din, amp, all sepakers, sub, etc. That money can go towards go fast parts. Just looking for something decent sounding.
You don't NEED and amp to upgrade the big door speakers, many people just get a component 2-way system. You will need/want an aftermarket head unit and you can just run off the head unit's internal amplifier.

The head unit as well will vastly improve the quality of sound signal and you'll have the drivers to make use of it.
TheRadioFlyer is offline  
Old 04-20-2018, 05:21 PM
  #3  
GCG
CF Senior Member
 
GCG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 2,273
Received 383 Likes on 328 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sick c6 View Post
Ive been doing a fair amouont of research to upgrade my stereo on my C5 with the bose system. Im currently all stock. I have found that I can change out the rear speakers and the 3.5 speakers in the doors, but without an amp and head unit cannot get rid of the bose speakers in the door. Is it worth upgrading just the 3.5 and 6.5 speakers in the rear? Would a seperate amp just for those speakers help? Mine sounds like crap when its cranked up with the roof off. Im not looking for a crazy system and not wanting to spend a bunch on a double din, amp, all sepakers, sub, etc. That money can go towards go fast parts. Just looking for something decent sounding.
These are basically the main options available:
  1. Replace just the headunit, leaving the rest of the system intact using
  2. Keep the headunit, but replace everything else adding a multichannel external amp driving new speakers through new wires by using
  3. Replace just the 4 twiddlers with 2-way coaxial speakers leaving the rest of the system intact
  4. Combine 1 and 3
  5. Take everything out and replace all from scratch


That being said, without a doubt, the easiest and least expensive way to upgrade the system with the more bang for your buck is new speakers that can be bolted on in place of the factory ones, keeping the rest of the system intact.

The C5 OEM speakers do not include any real tweeter. Bose used 4 plain-cone (paper) speakers to handle high and mid frequencies and called them "twiddlers". That's why you can make a big improvement by replacing them with a 2-way coaxial design.

OEM C5 Speaker Sizes:

-Front
Twiddler: 3.5"
Subwoofer: 8"

-Rear Twiddler
Coupe: 6.5"
FRC/Z06/Convertible: 5.25"


Get 3.5" 2-way coaxial speakers to replace the doors' twiddlers and 2-way coaxials of the right size for the rear. Don't touch the OEM subwoofers.

A quick search produced this:

JL Audio Evolution™ C2 Series 2-way car speakers:
  • C2-350X (3-1/2")
  • C2-525X (5-1/4")
  • C2-650X (6-1/2")

Not only they are from the same manufacturer, but they all belong to the same line. This should reasonably assure you they have the same timbre.

You are going to need
<b>this kit</b> this kit
as well. One kit will do both rears.


Independent confirmation that upgrading the 4 twiddlers makes a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade.
GCG is offline  
Old 04-20-2018, 06:28 PM
  #4  
Sick c6
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Sick c6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2015
Location: Arizona (AZ)
Posts: 50
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by GCG View Post
These are basically the main options available:
  1. Replace just the headunit, leaving the rest of the system intact using
  2. Keep the headunit, but replace everything else adding a multichannel external amp driving new speakers through new wires by using
  3. Replace just the 4 twiddlers with 2-way coaxial speakers leaving the rest of the system intact
  4. Combine 1 and 3
  5. Take everything out and replace all from scratch
That being said, without a doubt, the easiest and least expensive way to upgrade the system with the more bang for your buck is new speakers that can be bolted on in place of the factory ones, keeping the rest of the system intact.

The C5 OEM speakers do not include any real tweeter. Bose used 4 plain-cone (paper) speakers to handle high and mid frequencies and called them "twiddlers". That's why you can make a big improvement by replacing them with a 2-way coaxial design.

OEM C5 Speaker Sizes:

-Front
Twiddler: 3.5"
Subwoofer: 8"

-Rear Twiddler
Coupe: 6.5"
FRC/Z06/Convertible: 5.25"


Get 3.5" 2-way coaxial speakers to replace the doors' twiddlers and 2-way coaxials of the right size for the rear. Don't touch the OEM subwoofers.

A quick search produced this:

JL Audio Evolution™ C2 Series 2-way car speakers:
  • C2-350X (3-1/2")
  • C2-525X (5-1/4")
  • C2-650X (6-1/2")
Not only they are from the same manufacturer, but they all belong to the same line. This should reasonably assure you they have the same timbre.

You are going to need this kit as well. One kit will do both rears.


Independent confirmation that upgrading the 4 twiddlers makes a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks for the super legit post. This helps alot. I think i will just replace the 3.5 door and 6.5 rear speakers and leave the factory woofers and head unit. I didnt want to get into replacing the head unit until i am ready for a double din...and that may be awhile cause i still need a cam and blower lol

Last edited by Sick c6; 04-20-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Sick c6 is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 08:47 AM
  #5  
retiredff
CF Member
 
retiredff's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Location: SE of Indianapolis
Posts: 72
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

I'm planning to sound deaden/insulate my C5 interior this spring. Should the doors also be sound deadened/insulated on the outside (under the door panel) or inside of the door cavity or both?

THX

Tony
retiredff is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 10:17 AM
  #6  
GCG
CF Senior Member
 
GCG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 2,273
Received 383 Likes on 328 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by retiredff View Post
I'm planning to sound deaden/insulate my C5 interior this spring. Should the doors also be sound deadened/insulated on the outside (under the door panel) or inside of the door cavity or both?

THX

Tony
When applying sound-treatment material to the doors, it is the inside of the doors' outer skin what should be the focal point.
GCG is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 10:21 AM
  #7  
retiredff
CF Member
 
retiredff's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Location: SE of Indianapolis
Posts: 72
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GCG View Post
When applying sound-treatment material to the doors, it is the inside of the doors' outer skin what should be the focal point.
OK, so the inside where the window is should not be done, correct?
retiredff is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 10:33 AM
  #8  
GCG
CF Senior Member
 
GCG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 2,273
Received 383 Likes on 328 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by retiredff View Post
OK, so the inside where the window is should not be done, correct?
  • outside (under the door panel): optional - (law of diminishing returns)
  • inside of the door cavity (internal side of door's outer skin): essential

Last edited by GCG; 02-01-2019 at 10:40 AM.
GCG is offline  
The following users liked this post:
retiredff (02-01-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 01:47 PM
  #9  
radar502
CF Senior Member
 
radar502's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 3,028
Received 113 Likes on 98 Posts
Default

I went old school with my 04 Z , 6X9 3way in the front doors put and sound divider in the back to mount two more JBL 6X93way and a 10 Kicker in the middle Alpine mini Amp right behind the Pas. seat 550 W 5 way AMP .. ( That's all you need ) NOT 1000 W. deal There the deal have to kinda remake the front door speaker en closures not really that hard a little work and have to have some old School I can do this deal .. and a new head unit helps as well . Now that was and is a upgrade and not that much money either . I use excising speaker wires in the front and rewired the rest myself ,yep all the well most of the carpet seats comes out . What holds some people back from getting a little crazy with some of the kind work is having someone else do the work and cost big money . Just go on line and read up on how to do this , I know nothing about doing all this stuff so I rwad read up on it now I have some bas *** sounding tunes .. I asked a guy Auto place how much to wire it all up $600.00 NO .. I might had that much in the whole upgrade and a few busted knuckles .. Just my take on the deal ..
radar502 is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 09:33 PM
  #10  
jdgpro57
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front speaker connectors

So if I replace the factory twiddlers in the doors with the JL Audio 3.5 inch do I use the same connectors as used for the rear JL Audio replacements? Thanks.
Originally Posted by GCG View Post
These are basically the main options available:
  1. Replace just the headunit, leaving the rest of the system intact using
  2. Keep the headunit, but replace everything else adding a multichannel external amp driving new speakers through new wires by using
  3. Replace just the 4 twiddlers with 2-way coaxial speakers leaving the rest of the system intact
  4. Combine 1 and 3
  5. Take everything out and replace all from scratch


That being said, without a doubt, the easiest and least expensive way to upgrade the system with the more bang for your buck is new speakers that can be bolted on in place of the factory ones, keeping the rest of the system intact.

The C5 OEM speakers do not include any real tweeter. Bose used 4 plain-cone (paper) speakers to handle high and mid frequencies and called them "twiddlers". That's why you can make a big improvement by replacing them with a 2-way coaxial design.

OEM C5 Speaker Sizes:

-Front
Twiddler: 3.5"
Subwoofer: 8"

-Rear Twiddler
Coupe: 6.5"
FRC/Z06/Convertible: 5.25"


Get 3.5" 2-way coaxial speakers to replace the doors' twiddlers and 2-way coaxials of the right size for the rear. Don't touch the OEM subwoofers.

A quick search produced this:

JL Audio Evolution™ C2 Series 2-way car speakers:

  • C2-350X (3-1/2")
  • C2-525X (5-1/4")
  • C2-650X (6-1/2")

Not only they are from the same manufacturer, but they all belong to the same line. This should reasonably assure you they have the same timbre.

You are going to need this kit as well. One kit will do both rears.


Independent confirmation that upgrading the 4 twiddlers makes a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade.
jdgpro57 is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 02:18 AM
  #11  
GCG
CF Senior Member
 
GCG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 2,273
Received 383 Likes on 328 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jdgpro57 View Post
So if I replace the factory twiddlers in the doors with the JL-Audio 3.5 inch do I use the same connectors as used for the rear JL-Audio replacements? Thanks.
No, those adapter harnesses are only used to install the rear replacements. The factory connectors for the "front" OEM Bose 3˝" twiddlers are "spade" ones and they do follow Bose's speaker polarity standard, which is the opposite of what aftermarket manufacturers use.

When you go to replace your front twiddlers, you will need to cut those spade connectors and crimp new ones following the "normal" speaker polarity standard (reversed in relation to Bose), or create your own adapter harnesses if you don't want to cut and crimp the OEM wires.


NOTE: If you are considering to upgrade the 4 OEM Bose twiddlers, take a look at this Post regarding better suited replacements that should result in a more rewarding experience. I just learned about them recently.

Last edited by GCG; 04-22-2019 at 02:29 AM.
GCG is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worth it to upgrade C5 speakers?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: