Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

My C6 Convertible Amp install under the waterfall

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 09:25 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts
Default My C6 Convertible Amp install under the waterfall

Just finished my Stereo overhaul of the entire Bose system and will be adding separate posts of info I think will help others in the near future.

I choose to mount the amp behind the waterfall, because of easy access, adequate amount of space, and it's an easy location to run/hide the wires.
I selected a Kenwood KAC-M3004 four channel amp with 50 watt RMS.
Trust me when I say you NEED an amp if you are adding a new head unit. especially if you have a convertible. So far the amp provides plenty of power and I am happy with the choice.
The waterfall is very easy to remove. Behind it the factory XM antenna is mounted on the bracket. The entire bracket with the antenna can be removed in less than two minutes. I
was not going to use the XM and when the antenna is removed, the space is perfect for mounting the amp.
I actually used white cutting board to mount the amp on first, and then mounted the cutting board back on the waterfall bracket.. The board is easy to cut and heat resistant.
The whole thing fits easily with room to spare and provides air circulation under the waterfall.
I plan on posting tidbits on the other components I used including a Self-powered compact subwoofer, hiding the crossovers. and speaker choice when I get a bit more time

Special thanks to all those who answered all my questions during the install and for giving me the confidence to complete the project.
Attached Images     
The following users liked this post:
Cardinal Flyer (05-08-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 07:00 PM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts

I did a similar install on my C5 vert perfect position can still drop the top and did not lose much storage space.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:43 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

WOW! You read my mind . I've always thought the space behind the Waterfall is wasted and can be used to install an amp or a small sub, when doing a stereo upgrade on C6 vert. However, I haven't been able to find any info, till now, where someone actually did it.

I am looking to replace the entire Bose system. Upgrade to: Install a JL 4 chnl amp to power the 6.5" component speakers in the doors. I don't mind having the tweeters in the OEM spot or installing in the pillars (which would bring the sound up high to ear level).
The same amp to also power the 5.25" or 6.5" (if possible) 2-way coaxial speakers in the rear.

I am really concerned with saving the trunk space which is small anyway - so where to install the amps and what set up to use for a decent bass also.

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 05-25-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:18 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
WOW! You read my mind . I've always thought the space behind the Waterfall is wasted and can be used to install an amp or a small sub, when doing a stereo upgrade on C6 vert. However, I haven't been able to find any info, till now, where someone actually did it.

I am looking to replace the entire Bose system. Upgrade to: Install a JL 4 chnl amp to power the 6.5" component speakers in the doors. I don't mind having the tweeters in the OEM spot or installing in the pillars (which would bring the sound up high to ear level).
The same amp to also power the 5.25" or 6.5" (if possible) 2-way coaxial speakers in the rear.

I am really concerned with saving the trunk space which is small anyway - so where to install the amps and what set up to use for a decent bass also.
check out the two other posts I wrote on 5/20 and 5/14 on the summary of the entire install and details on a self-powered compact subwoofer (not sure how to do direct link). That should answer a few more questions. I just did exactly what you are thinking of doing....happy to answer any other questions or help out. I can't wait to get in the car now and cruise with the top down and the amp kicking!
Old 02-28-2019, 07:44 AM
Xcaliber
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Dr Don, I have looked through your threads several times and saw where you custom made the crossover rack and installed the amp where the xm antenna was, I just didn't see any dimensions on either to go off of. BTW the install was clean as all get out. Congratulations on it. Do you have any dimensions for either?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:44 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

That fits in there rather nicely, good idea.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:44 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Thanks for the kind words. There is quite a bit of room under that waterfall, and it is easy to remove (there are 2 plastic push pins about 1/2 down you have to pry out on the C6). Really, I just took it off and measured the space in the hollow and went hunting on Crutchfield (they list all electronics dimensions on their website) for a adequate amp that would fit in there. You could try various sized boxes in there to be sure you have the needed clearance. I do not have exact dimensions. I then cut the plastic board from West marine to the size of the amp with a jigsaw and rounded the corners with a Dremel, nothing fancy. I remove the bracket that held in the XM antenna and used that as a guide for where to drill the mounting holes on the plastic board. Then mount the board on the antenna bracket and then the amp on the board.
The waterfall is open in the back so it gets ventilation. This location makes it easy to hide the wires under the center console on route to the receiver .

For the crossovers, I removed the Bose amp and bracket, and again just used it as a template for cutting the plastic mounting board. The size of the two crossover boxes was pretty close to the size of the Bose amp.

I tried in vain to mix Bose and aftermarket and found no joy in that. Really happy I went all In. My wife has been making fun of me because I go out in the garage and crank it up for a Winter Vette fix about once a week. Plus that is a good way to get to know, use and fine tune all the features of the Kenwood.

Hope that helps you out. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Coyote58 (02-28-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To My C6 Convertible Amp install under the waterfall

Quick Reply: My C6 Convertible Amp install under the waterfall