Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My C6 convertible install summary and advise/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 09:01 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts
Default My C6 convertible install summary and advise/suggestions

Finally completed the install and had some top-down enjoyment time with the new system. While I like to hear that distinct Callaway supercharger whine kick in I really like my music and am quite happy how it all turned out. I had some install experience from a while back but not a lot. First I would really like to thank everyone on the Forum for answering all my questions and private emails. Here are some suggestions that may help someone tackle this kind of project.
1. Do lots of research before you start. There are a lot of sites have reviews of every component you can think of. The forum, google, and youtube have endless articles and videos.
2. Everyone has a thought on the best component or best way to install, again research and find what makes sense and works for you.
3. Try to get to a physical store (Best Buy has a good selection) to see what looks good and feels right to your touch and ears.
4. Consider using Crutchfield. Decent prices, lifetime tech support, very fast and free shipping and very liberal return policy. I returned two cameras after I had installed them with no questions asked.
5. You CAN do this your self. It was not that hard if you take your time. For me it was a multi weekend project. When you get stuck turn to youtube videos and the Forum and take a break.
6. Cover all the interior, door sills with old towels or blankets to prevent wear because you will be in and out of the car with tools a lot.
7. Buy the RP5-GM11 harness. Made the wiring very easy and the colors were a direct match. Everything was right the first time.
8. While soldering is the accepted standard. Crutchfield sells Posi-Connectors and are very easy to use and secure. Easy to connect and unconnect if needed. I used both methods.
9. ADD AN AMP from the start, you will anyway. My new head unit sounded great in the garage with the Bose system. As soon as I hit 50 with the top down, I knew an amp was needed to be happy.
10. Use all the connections on the back of that nice new head unit while you have the console apart anyway. Cameras, aux output cable, RCA outputs for amp and subwoofer, etc.
11. Go ahead and install an MGW shifter while the console is apart....You will not regret it and their video is the best for taking apart the console.

Components I used.
1. Kenwood DDX9905S - Very happy with the HU. Seems like an endless variety of adjustments you can make to customize the sound to your taste and you car. Includes WAZE navigation which I really like to use, and has apple CarPlay. It has the capactive screen that tilts. I have to admit in the mid day sun it does wash out some with the top down. Nothing I do not like about the HU, and except for direct sun it is easy to see and use.
2. Echomaster CAM-LF3 rear license plate holder camera - Great image and very bright in the dark. Very small plugs on the wires making it much easier than some to run through the car. Solid thin strong metal frame and you have to really look to see the camera. Worth the money.
3. Clarion CC520 - for the front camera. The image can easily be reversed and it has built in parking lines (many do not) I have a carbon fiber splitter and a front camera without lines is worthless in my opinion. The Kenwood HU adds rear parking lines but not front.
4. Illusion Audio Electra ES CX 5.25. 2-way rear speakers - I added Them before the amp because they are so easy to swap out for the Bose. Honestly no real improvement except a bit better bass, but once the amp was added they really started to sing. I re-wired these speakers so they would be stereo instead of the factory mono.
5. Focal Performance 165AS 2 way component front speakers - Installed on Crutchfields recommendation. Great sound, loud and clear. Super easy to mount with the adaptor brackets. Comes with fairly large adjustable crossovers that I mounted on a sheet of marine plastic under the passenger footwell in place of the Bose amp. Used the amp as a template. My biggest fear was removing the door panels, but with some encouraging Forum responses, this was really not a big deal.
6. C6 speaker mounts - From Southerncarparts.com includes mounting plates for the 6.5 woofer and the upper door tweeter. Good quality and exact fit. Must have.
7. Kenwood KAC-M3004 Amp - 50 watt x 4. Good strong power even with the top down. Easy to mount with the included harnesses. I mounted mine under the waterfall with plenty of room to spare and allow for air flow.
I mounted mine on a plastic plate in place of the XM antenna. Wires easy to hide under the console from this location.
8. Crutchfield CK10 amplifier power wiring kit - Includes the needed wires and fuse all in one package
9. Crutchfield RCA patch cables - Secure connections and good quality
10. Dual USB connector plug - From Excellent Concept on Amazon. Used in place of the cigarette lighter in the console.
11. Radio Pro PAC RP5-GM11 - Wiring harness for the Kenwood Head unit.
Very easy to wire, good instructions, connect the same colors!
12. Kenwood KSC-SW11 compact self-powered subwoofer - Really adds a well rounded but not overpowering bass to the whole system. Mounted in the center of the trunk as far forward as possible but not interfering with the folded top. Used a plastic sheet as a backing plate under the rubber trunk mat to bolt to the subwoofer which provided a secure non-moving mount.
13. Dynamat door insulation Kit - From Crutchfield. Had a few music notes that rattled the door before but not after dong the insulation.

I have several other threads showing and explaining in more detail some of the above installation.
Hope this helps others to take on this type of project. You can certainly do it yourself if you take your time and do your research . I tried to answer all the questions I had when I was installing and planning the install. The final system sounds great and no comparison to the stock Bose. I actually did not mind the Bose but I only had the 5 disc changer, and started out really wanting a modern HU with front and rear cameras. Seemed to get a bit carried away.....but no regrets.
Attached Images           
The following users liked this post:
tjaved22 (04-13-2019)
Old 05-17-2018, 10:07 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice looking and must sound good too.
Callaway DrDon (05-20-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 12:18 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Ah crap, I gotta turn my computer sideways.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:51 PM
GRCTampa
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 96 Posts

Nice work, looks great and I bet it sounds even better!
Callaway DrDon (05-20-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:57 AM
Gator6977
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

To prevent neck injury... CTRL+ALT+RIGHT ARROW KEY, then CTRL+ALT+UP ARROW KEY to flip screen back to normal. Feel free to use this on co-workers. Great install, btw!
Old 06-21-2018, 08:22 PM
chrisk85085
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Quick question

You stated you used a CK10 kit for your amp which is 10 awg but in your other thread you stated 4 awg, was it the ck4 kit?

Also, do you have an amp going to all your speakers? Looks like your amp is a two channel. I have an 2006 convertible and am dying to upgrade mine

thanks in advance for the answer. Love the write up.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:53 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Originally Posted by chrisk85085
You stated you used a CK10 kit for your amp which is 10 awg but in your other thread you stated 4 awg, was it the ck4 kit?

Also, do you have an amp going to all your speakers? Looks like your amp is a two channel. I have an 2006 convertible and am dying to upgrade mine

thanks in advance for the answer. Love the write up.
i used the CK10 which is 10 and the amp is 4 Chanel going to all four speakers. Quite a bit of room behind that waterfall . The more I listen the more I like the whole system. Happy to answer any other questions, that’s what the forum is for!
Old 06-22-2018, 10:38 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I didn't see a subwoofer mentioned and see you swapped the doors with smaller components than the originals. Do you notice less bass?
Old 06-22-2018, 09:17 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
I didn't see a subwoofer mentioned and see you swapped the doors with smaller components than the originals. Do you notice less bass?
I asked Crutchfield if they recommended 6.5 and 3.5 speakers in the doors or components. Went with their rec. The focals had a better sounding and tighter bass than the Bose and if you go back to the post, I went with a Kenwood compact self powered subwoofer. I think it really balances out the sound with a deep but not window shattering bass. I did a separate post on installing the subwoofer. The real key is a separate amp.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:13 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Sorry! Totally missed the subwoofer part of your post for some reason. I've never seen that kind of subwoofer before. If only it would fit under the seat. Might have to do some more digging.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:13 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

DrDon, did you have any issues with fitting the head unit in? It looks like the Metra Bezel faceplate part is upside down. I thought something looked off at first but just realized you have it the wrong way. The recessed part you have on the bottom is suppose to be behind the carbon fiber bezel on top with the rounded corners fitting within the opening.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:13 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
DrDon, did you have any issues with fitting the head unit in? It looks like the Metra Bezel faceplate part is upside down. I thought something looked off at first but just realized you have it the wrong way. The recessed part you have on the bottom is suppose to be behind the carbon fiber bezel on top with the rounded corners fitting within the opening.
you have a good eye. Did not have any issues, everything fit fine, but looking at it now I see what you are saying.

Get notified of new replies

To My C6 convertible install summary and advise/suggestions

Quick Reply: My C6 convertible install summary and advise/suggestions