Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with the "dimmer control" wire on a Kenwood DNX894S

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 12:24 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Default Help with the "dimmer control" wire on a Kenwood DNX894S

I recently installed a Kenwood DNX894S in my 03 Corvette using an Axxess adapter.

All is working well except for the lighting in the Kenwood at night.
I cannot dim the display using the stock dash light dimmer control nor does the KW lights dim if the headlights are On.
The unit remains at full daytime brightness all the time

On the KW wiring harness, the Orange/white wire is clearly labeled as "Illumination Wire".
I connected the OW from the KW to the OW from the Axxess wiring harness as directed by the Axxess wiring instructions.

But I get no reduction in brightness on the KW display regardless of the position of the C5's dimmer **** or if the headlights are on.

Thanks in advance for any info

Jim

I think I found a solution after a long search online. Seems MANY have sought this same question. So I tapped the Brown wire behind the Trunk Release/Fog Light switch and ran it over under the bezel. Testing shows it to produce 12v when the ignition and lights are On. I think this will work as a trigger to the Orange/White Dimmer wire that comes out of the Kenwood harness.

Last edited by jrprich; 06-13-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:45 AM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I connected the brown wire also but no reduction in light........

Jim
Old 06-18-2018, 09:30 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Supposedly the light yellow wire on the dual-zone automatic HVAC panel wire loom is also illuminated 12V, but it didn't work on my install. Maybe you need to have the engine on to dim (wasn't able to start motor when I tested)? But that doesn't make any sense because the lights on the HVAC panel came on, but the head unit didn't dim. Weird.

I think you need a source that doesn't dim with the dimmer switch, which I think the HVAC panel does. So something like headlights or parking lights. Not sure best way to connect to those.

Last edited by huesmann; 06-18-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:29 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BRAVO1
I connected the brown wire also but no reduction in light........

Jim
Which brown wire did you use?
The selected wire has to produce 12v when the parking lights are turned on and no voltage when the parking lights are turned off.

But this could be a Kenwood specific requirement.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:58 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jrprich
Which brown wire did you use?
The selected wire has to produce 12v when the parking lights are turned on and no voltage when the parking lights are turned off.

But this could be a Kenwood specific requirement.
I ended up using the brown wire attached to the Fog Light/Rear hatch button.
Testing showed it does produce 12v once the parking lights are turned on.
It does cause my Kenwood DNX894S to dim just a bit.
Wish I could find a way to dim it more at night.

Jim
Old 07-09-2018, 08:09 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Ok this is very simple assuming your dimmer function is hooked up and working on your Kenwood. Go into your setup page and look for monitor setup or similar option. While you are in that page look at what your settings are at (Brightness, Contrast etc..) Turn on your headlights and now adjust what you want those settings to be. That is what the screen will look like when dimmed. Turn off your headlights and you will see the screen revert back to the way it was.
The following users liked this post:
jrprich (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 11:20 PM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 282 Posts

from the axxess manual:
  • Tape off and disregard the Orange/White wire, it will not be used in this application.
  • If the aftermarket radio has an illumination wire, connect the Orange wire to it. Note: There are (2) illumination wires. If the Orange wire on the 24-pin harness is populated on the factory side, use that wire instead.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:03 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
Ok this is very simple assuming your dimmer function is hooked up and working on your Kenwood. Go into your setup page and look for monitor setup or similar option. While you are in that page look at what your settings are at (Brightness, Contrast etc..) Turn on your headlights and now adjust what you want those settings to be. That is what the screen will look like when dimmed. Turn off your headlights and you will see the screen revert back to the way it was.
Oh Boy,
Sorry for the reply delay, I had to get a pacemaker installed (now I am officially an OLD man) and that took me away from car issues.
I did just as you suggested on my Kenwood and it worked like a charm !!! a great big THANKS to Oh Boy for the clear set of instructions!
Thanks so much,
Jim R
Old 07-14-2018, 10:17 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by jrprich
Oh Boy,
Sorry for the reply delay, I had to get a pacemaker installed (now I am officially an OLD man) and that took me away from car issues.
I did just as you suggested on my Kenwood and it worked like a charm !!! a great big THANKS to Oh Boy for the clear set of instructions!
Thanks so much,
Jim R
Glad I could help and hope you are now feeling better! Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with the "dimmer control" wire on a Kenwood DNX894S

Quick Reply: Help with the "dimmer control" wire on a Kenwood DNX894S