Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C7 force refresh of USB music?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 11:32 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,405 Likes on 4,218 Posts
Default SOLVED: C7 force refresh of USB music?

Interesting problem:

I've got a USB drive with, oh, a hundred or more CDs worth of music. Recently I put the drive in my PC, deleted some of the music that was there, and added some new music.

Put the drive back in the C7 and.... it's still playing music I "deleted," and not seeing the new stuff.

OK, I know that deleted files on a PC doesn't actually delete the files, just the directory pointers to them. So it appears the Bose audio system created it's own copy of the directory structure, and doesn't know it needs to update it. How can I force the system to reread the USB drive and update it's directory?

I tried renaming the USB drive, but that doesn't seem to have had any effect. Any ideas?

Last edited by Red Mist Rulz; 06-15-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:57 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,405 Likes on 4,218 Posts

After trying several other things, reformatting the USB drive seems to be the only way to get MyLink to reread the drive and rebuild it's index. I copied all the music onto a hard disk, reformatted the USB drive, then copied the music back. When I put the USB drive back in the car and selected media, I was greeted with rotating arrows, and only a few songs were immediately available. An hour or so later, all the music was available, and the deleted music was not.

After reading the infotainment manual, I think it's the Gracenote* software that is indexing the music, and which is then used to find and play files on the drive.

*Gracenote is also used for playing music via voice commands. When you put a newly formatted USB drive in the system, Gracenote reads all the artist, album and song names and figures out the pronunciation of all the words.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:18 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have found that if you change the drive label, it will refresh the index. I name it something like: 128GB-06/20/2018

I change the date every time I update the drive and it seems to work every time.

See if that helps you.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 force refresh of USB music?

Quick Reply: C7 force refresh of USB music?