Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Head unit - do I need to redo all speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:27 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
I already have XM in the car do I need any cables or extensions or does the GM PAC 5 harness take care of XM as well?
If you want to keep XM you'll need to install new XM hardware. The stock XM isn't usable with the aftermarket system. Some people have managed to re-use the antenna, but that's it.

The following users liked this post:
Hirohawa (08-28-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 08:50 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

You need to purchase the XM tuner, and it attaches to the back of your head unit.

Amazon Amazon

You can re-use the factory antenna. I did but I found the reception was still poor. If you want to try it you need to buy the Sirius/XM 10ft antenna extension and run it to the factory XM location above the rear drivers side wheel well.

Amazon Amazon
Hirohawa (08-28-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 10:41 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
You need to purchase the XM tuner, and it attaches to the back of your head unit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJTO4CY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc =1

You can re-use the factory antenna. I did but I found the reception was still poor. If you want to try it you need to buy the Sirius/XM 10ft antenna extension and run it to the factory XM location above the rear drivers side wheel well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMFAOA6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc =1

When I bought my C6 in December I activated an XM trial on the stock Bose system. I found the quality just awful and didn't listen to it after a day or two and went back to streaming from my iPhone. So when I installed my 8201NEX I didn't bother installing the XM hardware. Then I started wondering. How have you found the sound quality of XM with the aftermarket setup?

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 08-27-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:03 PM
biggator6
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed
When I bought my C6 in December I activated an XM trial on the stock Bose system. I found the quality just awful and didn't listen to it after a day or two and went back to streaming from my iPhone. So when I installed my 8201NEX I didn't bother installing the XM hardware. Then I started wondering. How have you found the sound quality of XM with the aftermarket setup?
I finally decided to test XM. My other car (2017 Explorer Platinum) came with the trial.. even in a new car, it is awful. So I finally decided to test listening to a song on XM, then flipping to the app, where you can restart the song from the beginning.

Listening back to back - the app sounded a TON better than the over the air streaming. When my trials run out, I'm killing it and just keeping the app access.
The following 2 users liked this post by biggator6:
Hirohawa (08-29-2018), SRQ Vette (08-31-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 05:33 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed
I purchased the XM tuner and tried it. I ended up cancelling because I found the reception to be so poor that I couldn't enjoy it. I have Sirius in my daily driver Ram 1500 and use it all the time, but in the Corvette I have had no luck getting good reception even with the Pioneer.
Hirohawa (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 05:35 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by biggator6
I finally decided to test XM. My other car (2017 Explorer Platinum) came with the trial.. even in a new car, it is awful. So I finally decided to test listening to a song on XM, then flipping to the app, where you can restart the song from the beginning.

Listening back to back - the app sounded a TON better than the over the air streaming. When my trials run out, I'm killing it and just keeping the app access.
Good to know.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:28 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

I didn't even realize there was an XM app. Like I said total Newb. So if you use the app you don't need the hardware I assume?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2018, 09:24 PM
jumpinjer
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Great info here, guys. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2018, 10:30 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Originally Posted by biggator6

I just tried out the app as well (free preview) and it is dramatically better. The app also integrated nicely into CarPlay although there were buffering delays. It's definitely the way to go if you have good cellular coverage and a good plan. There is still some weird stuff going on - some sort of odd EQ applied that tends to make the 80-100Hz bass sound sloppy and over pronounced. I cleaned it up a bit by messing with my crossover frequency and sub volume, but it still didn't seem to sound as good as either Pandora or Apple Music. I could probably get it close by playing with it some more. I won't bother though. XM Streaming pricing seems overly ambitious compared to other options so I don't know why anyone would subscribe unless there were some particular content that they really wanted.
Hirohawa (08-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 01:12 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

If I were to get an amp and Subwoofer would I need a Optima Yellow top or would a normal Red top work?

Or just as is - will a Red Top be OK with the new headunit and speakers.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2018, 03:56 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

I run a stock battery and alternator with a 10W7 and 2 amps...no issues.
Hirohawa (09-29-2018)

Quick Reply: New Head unit - do I need to redo all speakers?