Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

New Head unit - do I need to redo all speakers?

Old 08-05-2018, 06:31 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Default New Head unit C6 - do I need to redo all speakers?

New to this aftermarket audio world - so sorry in advance for being a newb. I finally broke down and got a new head unit on my 09 C6 Z06. Mainly because my GM PAL stopped working with my iPhone and would not charge or play music. My first priority was to just be able to use my Iphone and waze while driving.

I got the Pioneer W8400 NEX model with Apple Play and all the bells and whistles. Have not installed it yet so I have a few questions. My car is currently stock Nav with Bose.

1) will it sound better with just the new head unit or do I need to upgrade speakers?
2) If I do need new speakers can install be done in stages (headhunt only first) or is it better to do everything all at once.
3) what is a decent midrange setup for speakers. Doesn't need to be bestest or loudest just better sound with reliability.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by Hirohawa; 08-06-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:52 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Also which backup camera works best on C6 Corvette?
Old 08-05-2018, 09:57 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

There is a few different options here. First, your current stock system will sound better with an aftermarket head unit. It won't be a huge improvement, but you will have more EQ and tuning options with a new head unit and the sound quality will be slightly improved.

As far as replacing the speakers, there are 2 options available and it depends on how much of an upgrade you are looking for. The first is a simple speaker upgrade keeping your stock Bose amp and speaker wires. Basically you can replace your 3.5" door speakers and your 5.25" rears with some aftermarket 4ohm speakers. This will give you another bump in sound quality by improving the clarity and higher frequencies
The second speaker option is an all out system. Basically replacing the head unit, running new speaker wire to new 6.5" component door speakers and new 5.25" coaxial rears, with a subwoofer installed somewhere in the back and the whole system running off an aftermarket amplifier.

Basically, it's pick your poison. You can easily upgrade your head unit first and add a backup camera and then decide on speak upgrade after. Replacing only the speakers does not require pulling out the head unit again. If you go full system, you do need to pull the head unit out and run RCA cables to any after market amp and then run speaker wires from there.

As far as backup camera, any camera that runs off a video cable will work. I went with the Pyle PLCM38FRV for my Pioneer 8200. Works great and was only about $17 at the time on Amazon.

Edit: I gave you the wrong model number for my camera. Fixed it, PLCM38FRV

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 08-05-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:07 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
There is a few different options here. First, your current stock system will sound better with an aftermarket head unit. It won't be a huge improvement, but you will have more EQ and tuning options with a new head unit and the sound quality will be slightly improved.

As far as replacing the speakers, there are 2 options available and it depends on how much of an upgrade you are looking for. The first is a simple speaker upgrade keeping your stock Bose amp and speaker wires. Basically you can replace your 3.5" door speakers and your 5.25" rears with some aftermarket 4ohm speakers. This will give you another bump in sound quality by improving the clarity and higher frequencies
The second speaker option is an all out system. Basically replacing the head unit, running new speaker wire to new 6.5" component door speakers and new 5.25" coaxial rears, with a subwoofer installed somewhere in the back and the whole system running off an aftermarket amplifier.

Basically, it's pick your poison. You can easily upgrade your head unit first and add a backup camera and then decide on speak upgrade after. Replacing only the speakers does not require pulling out the head unit again. If you go full system, you do need to pull the head unit out and run RCA cables to any after market amp and then run speaker wires from there.

As far as backup camera, any camera that runs off a video cable will work. I went with the Pyle PLCM38FRV for my Pioneer 8200. Works great and was only about $17 at the time on Amazon.

Edit: I gave you the wrong model number for my camera. Fixed it, PLCM38FRV
Wow Thanks so much! So comprehensive! Is there a brand of 4ohm speakers you recommend. I think this is the route I will take as I'm not sure I want to splurge on a whole new setup w/wires and amps.

Much appreciated!
Old 08-06-2018, 05:02 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Here is a couple threads with some suggestions if you read through them. One with some Rockford Fosgate's and the other with some Polk's. Any 4-ohm speaker will work. Maybe some guys that have done the swap can chime in with some recommendations. I have not done this swap in the Corvette since I went with a whole new system, but I have done this with my other cars with good results.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-options.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-522-mm-s.html

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 08-06-2018 at 05:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hirohawa (08-06-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

OK so I got a set of Rockford 3.5" Punch Speakers for the front and a set of Kicker CSC5 5.25" for the rear a Pyle Backup camera and all the proper GM PAC harnesses and the Metra Dash kit. Am I good to go now?

Thanks
Old 08-15-2018, 09:42 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
OK so I got a set of Rockford 3.5" Punch Speakers for the front and a set of Kicker CSC5 5.25" for the rear a Pyle Backup camera and all the proper GM PAC harnesses and the Metra Dash kit. Am I good to go now?

Thanks
You can also get the Metra 72-4568 speaker wire adapters to make you speakers plug and play with the factory connectors so that you don't have to cut any wires.

Amazon Amazon
Hirohawa (08-18-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 03:07 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
You can also get the Metra 72-4568 speaker wire adapters to make you speakers plug and play with the factory connectors so that you don't have to cut any wires.

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-4568...=metra+72-4568
You are a life saver. I can't thank you enough. Love this forum. All your insight is greatly appreciated. have good one!
Old 08-16-2018, 02:19 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

You are a life saver. I can't thank you enough. Love this forum. All your insight is greatly appreciated. have good one!
I agree great advice. Not trying to be critical but kicker speakers you linked seem to be on the cheap end compared to your head unit. I was always told your system is only going to sound as good as the speakers you buy. You might also think about purchasing Items at Crutchfield they have excellent support and return polices. They also help you set up your system even if you don't buy anything.

Last edited by pjazz; 08-16-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:40 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pjazz
I agree great advice. Not trying to be critical but kicker speakers you linked seem to be on the cheap end compared to your head unit. I was always told your system is only going to sound as good as the speakers you buy. You might also think about purchasing Items at Crutchfield they have excellent support and return polices. They also help you set up your system even if you don't buy anything.
Is there a brand of speakers that you would recommend over the Kickers? I can always return these.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2018, 06:38 AM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Is there a brand of speakers that you would recommend over the Kickers? I can always return these.

Thanks
It all depends on what you want to spend. I haven't installed aftermarket speakers in my car for quite a few years and there's quite a few good brands out there. I've had Polks and they are a good quality speaker. Check this site input your car model and input the type of speakers your looking for. They've been around for almost 50 years. It's been a while but they have very helpful support on what components work well together and they never pressure you to buy anything. I used to go to there site to see what product I needed then search the web for the best price. Give em a call .https://www.crutchfield.com/

Last edited by pjazz; 08-18-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:59 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

The Polk MM522 which were mentioned in one of the links in my previous post, can be found on eBay for $120 brand new. I never heard them or the kickers, so this is just an FYI. They are currently $200 on Crutchfield.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-...EAAOSwcB5ZNzOR
Hirohawa (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 10:30 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

Also which backup camera works best on C6 Corvette?
I went with the Pioneer ND-BC8 for both front and rear, which I've been pleased with. One came with the 8201NEX package and I ordered a second.
Hirohawa (08-24-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 10:40 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Thanks
Depending on your musical taste you may want to consider a subwoofer. Although the aftermarket head unit did sound better than the original, it just didn't have the low end I wanted. Adding a sub addressed this while also providing some relief to the other speakers, since I set the low pass filter to 100Hz. I kept the stock speakers, which are good enough for me with this setup at this point.

Even if you decide not to install a sub right now, I'd suggest that you run the RCA patch cables and remote turn-on lead wire for a subwoofer now. This will save you from having to take everything apart again later if you change your mind. (This can also be a good time to install a MGW shifter if you have a manual transmission car for the same reason.)

Hirohawa (08-24-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 11:07 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

For speakers...huge fan of Focal. But as others have mentioned...maybe not the best choice if budget minded.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:41 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the advice. Oh and MGW shifter was one of the first mods I did when I got the car almost 9 years ago. Love it.

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed
Depending on your musical taste you may want to consider a subwoofer. Although the aftermarket head unit did sound better than the original, it just didn't have the low end I wanted. Adding a sub addressed this while also providing some relief to the other speakers, since I set the low pass filter to 100Hz. I kept the stock speakers, which are good enough for me with this setup at this point.

Even if you decide not to install a sub right now, I'd suggest that you run the RCA patch cables and remote turn-on lead wire for a subwoofer now. This will save you from having to take everything apart again later if you change your mind. (This can also be a good time to install a MGW shifter if you have a manual transmission car for the same reason.)
Old 08-25-2018, 04:18 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Ok got the Polk MM522 5.25 for the rear.

Get notified of new replies

To New Head unit - do I need to redo all speakers?

Old 08-25-2018, 11:08 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Ok got the Polk MM522 5.25 for the rear.
Let us know how it turns out. Like I said, I never heard them but I'm curious to see if they live up to the glowing reviews they received in that other thread. Hopefully you get similar results and share the threads opinion on them. I'm a little skeptical that they were over selling them a bit, but they should definitely be, at the very least, an improvement over the stock for sure.
Hirohawa (08-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 09:25 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed

I've continued to tweak my settings. A bit OT, but since I mentioned a specific LPF number of 100Hz I thought I should update that I've found 80Hz seems to work better. A bit more crisp and tight. Not sure what others have found.
Hirohawa (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 07:29 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

I already have XM in the car do I need any cables or extensions or does the GM PAC 5 harness take care of XM as well?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Head unit - do I need to redo all speakers?