Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Making sure I have it all - C6 head unit install

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 12:27 PM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Making sure I have it all - C6 head unit install

I hate to be that guy and start a thread like this, but I have read through the stickies (lots of dead links btw) and a few install threads. The items i search for do not show up, so i just want to make sure i am ordering the right items.

I will be installing a Pioneer avh-x5500BHS head unit into a 2007 Z51 C6 coupe 3LT, MN6 with bose. As of right now the whole car is stock and I plan to keep it mostly stock. I have some audio equipment I want to swap from another car, but that car is still my daily and I'll swap when the engine finally goes at a later time.

Here are the items I have found from searching I will need.

Metra 95-3304 dash kit (double din)
Metra 40-GM10 antenna adaptor

Then my biggest question is, which harness? I would like to keep the onstar even though I wont need it. I want all steering wheel controls to work ect. I have found:
Amazon Amazon
and
Amazon Amazon
and will most likely be adding this:
Amazon Amazon

Really not sure what i am looking at here... appreciate the help.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:06 PM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 282 Posts

Mount kit and gm11. The gm11 comes with the antenna adapter. I've had bad luck with the parts from this place. I go to best buy and have them match the price.
The following users liked this post:
koreanbeefcake (08-06-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 09:40 AM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

For anybody lost in searching threads, here is some info for what I found. I just completed my first head unit install on my 3LT bose system.

I bought the metra dash kit and a RP5-GM11 adaptor. The adapter has everything including a chime replacement. I set my chime on the lowest setting and its still too loud for my taste. The steering wheel controls are dependent on your head unit. My pioneer used a aux jack looking plug, i believe Kenwood would use the 2 wire splices. I dont know why that was so hard for me to figure out. Otherwise its basically color match the wires from the GM adapter to the radio adapter. I only had about 3 wires not connected. Those were extra navigation wires since I dont have navigation, and blue wire (Instructions said not used), and another very long green wire, which was something with an Ebrake I think. I dont plan on watching DVD's though, so i just left it.

Taking apart the dash stuff was the hardest part. The center console lighter plug was a pain. I got mine out by just squeezing down the top with some pliers. The clip is attached so i was able to squeeze it down enough to come out. I tried the pick tool method and i failed for an hour. I would highly suggest buying a back up camera before install because its def a pain to take the dash apart. Overall Im happy because it sounds much better.

also i needed new screws for the dash kit, since i bought the stereo used. If you look online you can find the size needed. its a standard thing. I think it was 10-24 3/8" deep. A pack of 20 was around $2 at lowes. really easy item to search and find online.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:19 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Great job! Just a couple FYI's, some people put tape over the hole for the chime module to make it even quieter. Also the blue wire is for powered or amplified antenna. I'm not sure if that applies to the C6 but I did hook mine up. As far as the e-brake wire, you may find yourself locked out of certain head unit functions or settings even when the car is parked. Some functions only get unlocked when the e-brake is on, although I'm not sure about your head unit so it may or may not apply to the functions you use. Enjoy the new head unit!
The following 2 users liked this post by TorchRedFred:
Formula8 (08-17-2018), koreanbeefcake (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 10:32 AM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Great job! Just a couple FYI's, some people put tape over the hole for the chime module to make it even quieter. Also the blue wire is for powered or amplified antenna. I'm not sure if that applies to the C6 but I did hook mine up. As far as the e-brake wire, you may find yourself locked out of certain head unit functions or settings even when the car is parked. Some functions only get unlocked when the e-brake is on, although I'm not sure about your head unit so it may or may not apply to the functions you use. Enjoy the new head unit!
The instructions that came with the GM adaptor said "not in use" I did a google search for it and found 500 different answers. I assume the head unit wiring would have had a matching blue wire if i needed it?

I may do the back up camera thing. If i do, I will def put some tape over the chime module, and i'll see about the ebrake thing. I didnt think about that, but running through the settings and such, i do not think it mattered in my situation. Thanks for pointing those out though.

oh also, the stereo i have is a slide down style for cd's. The dash kit is in the way and doesnt allow it to open or close very well. If i had the time, i would have somehow sanded the bottom portion of the dash kit for extra space. I dont use cd's much, but i if i do, i gotta help it overcome the lip on the dash kit to open.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:59 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by koreanbeefcake
The instructions that came with the GM adaptor said "not in use" I did a google search for it and found 500 different answers. I assume the head unit wiring would have had a matching blue wire if i needed it?

oh also, the stereo i have is a slide down style for cd's. The dash kit is in the way and doesnt allow it to open or close very well. If i had the time, i would have somehow sanded the bottom portion of the dash kit for extra space. I dont use cd's much, but i if i do, i gotta help it overcome the lip on the dash kit to open.
As far as the blue wire, if you did need to connect it in the future, you can connect it to the blue/white amp wire. Some connect the blue and the blue/white together if your car needs it. When the head unit is on, it sends out a 12v current through the blue/white wire telling the amp to turn on and/or the power/amplified antenna to turn on if you have them connected together.

As far as the dash kit, some need to be trimmed slightly depending on the head unit. I remember some having issues with the Pioneer 4200's removable face and recommending shaving the trim a little.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 08-13-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:17 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...amplifier.html

According to Markcz's post in this thread, the amplified antenna in the C6 gets turned on through the amp wire. So if that is correct, you should be fine the way it is. Mark was the forums audio expert and contributor when he was on the forum.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:59 AM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
As far as the blue wire, if you did need to connect it in the future, you can connect it to the blue/white amp wire. Some connect the blue and the blue/white together if your car needs it. When the head unit is on, it sends out a 12v current through the blue/white wire telling the amp to turn on and/or the power/amplified antenna to turn on if you have them connected together.

As far as the dash kit, some need to be trimmed slightly depending on the head unit. I remember some having issues with the Pioneer 4200's removable face and recommending shaving the trim a little.
awesome. much appreciated info. Most topics i searched with coming up with results from before 2012. nothing recent. I hope this helps someone else who is looking for something more current.

Get notified of new replies

To Making sure I have it all - C6 head unit install

Quick Reply: Making sure I have it all - C6 head unit install