Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 rear speaker swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 11:04 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Default C6 rear speaker swap

Just toying with the idea of cutting a 6.5" hole in the rear spot to replace the 5.25". I think I'm going to go full active with an 8 channel and I think 6.5's would give better mid-bass response. Thoughts? Has anyone ever done that before?

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 08-21-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:59 AM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 282 Posts

I thought about that myself but decided against that as I believe the cheap plastic panels will make more noise than they do now. Build up your doors for better midbass 8-10" and lots of sound deadening..
Old 08-21-2018, 12:45 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

I do have the car totally deadened now...I think a thin layer of MLV will knock any of that away.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:24 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

I eliminated the rears completely plus the center speaker, almost as soon as I got the car, and the sound was 200% better. The center and rear speakers are the absolute worst design on the planet. They are mono so all sounds come though them. Whereas the front left and right do separate instruments and vocals. The goal of my stereo systems is to have the music laid out in front of me across the windshield. I use Chicago's I'm a Man(Long Version) as it has a percussion session where each of the instruments is laid out across the soundstage to test my setups. For instance the tambourine is on the left, the sand blocks just right of the steering wheel, drums centered, cowbell to the right and the marambas on the extreme right. In my C6 it was very distinct across the windshield. You could literally feel where every instrument was coming from.
Keep in mind, that I replaced my door speakers with JL 650's and powered them with a 650 watt amp off the stock HU, with an 8" CDT sub sitting in the right rear cubby
Same goes for my wife's PT Cruiser, I have just a slight touch of stock rears and the fronts are Rockford Fosgate 6.5's with 1 1/2 tweeters and an 10" sub in the rear compartment, powered by a 600 watt Kicker Amp. In that car I needed the rears to help pull the sound up off the floor. The C6 is small and doesn't need it.
Everyone that has gotten into my cars are simply amazed at the sound quality.
If you just want monster volume then go for it, just tossing it out there.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:20 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceC5
I thought about that myself but decided against that as I believe the cheap plastic panels will make more noise than they do now. Build up your doors for better midbass 8-10" and lots of sound deadening..
Wouldn't there be an issue with the depth? I mean, Bose speakers aren't designed too deep, but most 8-10" subs would be too deep to be installed in the doors... Just wondering..
Old 08-28-2018, 04:30 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
I eliminated the rears completely plus the center speaker, almost as soon as I got the car, and the sound was 200% better. The center and rear speakers are the absolute worst design on the planet. They are mono so all sounds come though them. Whereas the front left and right do separate instruments and vocals. The goal of my stereo systems is to have the music laid out in front of me across the windshield. I use Chicago's I'm a Man(Long Version) as it has a percussion session where each of the instruments is laid out across the soundstage to test my setups. For instance the tambourine is on the left, the sand blocks just right of the steering wheel, drums centered, cowbell to the right and the marambas on the extreme right. In my C6 it was very distinct across the windshield. You could literally feel where every instrument was coming from.
Keep in mind, that I replaced my door speakers with JL 650's and powered them with a 650 watt amp off the stock HU, with an 8" CDT sub sitting in the right rear cubby
Same goes for my wife's PT Cruiser....
Steve,

Can you share more detail (every detail), if possible about your components/installation? Which JL 650's did you use in the doors? Didn't you use any tweeters? Just one sub in the rear did it for you? (although coupe can get away with 1 sub, I am sure) Mine is a vert, which has a more difficult setup and won't sound as good as a coupe, no matter what you do to it (since the coupe has a great hatchback design to bounce the base forward). However, I'm trying to do the best I can.

I have the JL Audio 300/4 chnl amp, and also a new Pioneer NEX8200 head unit.

NOW, looking for subs, speakers, and other items needed - recommendations from personal experience/knowledge from the forum expert would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 08-28-2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:33 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Steve,

Can you share more detail (every detail), if possible about your components/installation? Which JL 650's did you use in the doors? Didn't you use any tweeters? Just one sub in the rear did it for you? (although coupe can get away with 1 sub, I am sure) Mine is a vert, which has a more difficult setup and won't sound as good as a coupe, no matter what you do to it (since the coupe has a great hatchback design to bounce the base forward). However, I'm trying to do the best I can.

NOW, looking for subs, speakers, and other items needed - recommendations from personal experience/knowledge from the forum expert would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
In your case I would use the 4 channel amp and use it to power the fronts and the rear channel to power a sub woofer(s) and make sure you disconnect the center speaker.
Having said that here is my PhD dissertation

I used the equivalent of the JL-C2-650 and put the tweeters where the 4" were in the upper door area.I hand made a a mount out of 1/8 birch(I happen to have it already from a kitchen project) I had the X-overs and the amp in the hatch area just behind the drivers side. My neighbor helped me fashion a very cool little box with vents to cover everything.
My 8" sub was enough, when I pushed it could make the back of my seat move a bit. On a convertible, I suspect you will have to build a box, but it could be reasonably small, if you use polyfil in the box. I had to build up the sub mount by three inches to get the volume needed, and then filled 1/3rd the cubby with polyfil and covered it with the same carpeting as was there, so you really did not know it was there..

I am actually going through this drill right now. I have two 6" sub's from a Jaguar XK8 I was restoring.
I am going to do mobile detailing and bought a Turbo PT Cruiser to hold all my equipment. a little better than your basic white van, IMO
In the Jag with a less than ideal situation they produced some excellent bass. The mfr(
Audiopipe Audiopipe
) says they need to be in an 8x8x8 box, half filled with polyfil. That is pretty small and I don't have a ton of room in the Cruiser once I get all my equipment in, but have to have my sounds. I will build one box this week and see how it works, if the bass is weak, I will build a second box and stack it. Obviously two 6" don't equal a 12" but am interested in hearing what happens.
I will be running an old school Memphis 1000 watt amp to drive the subs and for the moment use the stock speakers with a JVC 320BT HU driving them. I strongly suspect I will be moving to the above JL C2-650's and a digital 5 channel amp. In the Cruiser I need just a very slight touch of the rear speakers. They are mounted almost in the roof at the rear and need them to pull the sound stage up just a touch as without them the sound stage is very low.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:31 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Steve,

Thanks!
That's exactly what I'm currently using. Stick with JL and run a 500/1 mono for your sub. That is more than enough amp to drive just about any sub or sub pair around. I currently run a JL 10W7AE sub in a custom box, and it's probably a bit much for a C6. I'll probably swap it out for some Illusion C10's in the near future.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pb82 Ronin:
Grzldvt1 (10-02-2018), rclrs (10-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C6 rear speaker swap

Quick Reply: C6 rear speaker swap