Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5Z Aftermarket head unit options. (Retain Bose Amp?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 12:22 PM
ChargedV90
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5Z Aftermarket head unit options. (Retain Bose Amp?)

Hi guys, I have an 01 C5Z and I don't mind how the stock system sounds but I want to add modern features to my head unit like Bluetooth, Pandora, and android auto.

From one of the write-ups, it sounded like the stock unit sends a signal to a Bose signal processor, then back to the amp within the head unit, then out to amps at the speakers, then to the speakers? Is that right?

I would like to retain this functionality somehow. Or possibly find a HU that is compatible with the (1 ohm?) stock speakers and won't sound crappy.

Is such a thing possible? Or am I stuck with replacing the whole system, keeping the stock one, or using an aftermarket head unit and it sounding bad?

Last edited by ChargedV90; 09-13-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:25 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

What you want to do is perfectly feasible. Just click on this link to take you to a post that summarizes all the possible ways to upgrade. You would need to choose between Option 1 and Option 4 (the latter being the best option in your case).

NOTE: The C5 Bose system is based on a modified Delco head-unit that uses pseudo-differential low level signals along with fully differential speaker level signals. The common signals are not standard and have a DC offset, so they cannot be grounded.

The way the system works the audio signals from the head-unit are "detoured" through a signal processor and then returned to the head-unit. At the same time, the signal processor adds up the information from the 4 channels and sends it to the 2 subwoofer amps in the doors.

The head-unit has 4 connectors in the back:
C1 / C2 (which is a single siamese connector) - power, ground, BCM data, front and rear speakers
C3 - power amp inputs
C4 - pre-amp outputs

This is why adapters like the
Axxess XSVI-2004 Axxess XSVI-2004
and
PAC ROEM-VET1 PAC ROEM-VET1
are needed when replacing the head-unit, in order to take care of all necessary interfacing and make the process plug-and-play.

Last edited by GCG; 10-05-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:01 PM
Markm10431
Omega Aficianado

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 163 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

whatever you do do not get bestbuy to do it thier corvette conversion is junk fwiw though they have a 99 dollar alpine that does it all, ipod,/usb, bluetooth the whole nine. depends on how much an audiophile you are. mine's a vert so it does not have to be super duper perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z Aftermarket head unit options. (Retain Bose Amp?)

Quick Reply: C5Z Aftermarket head unit options. (Retain Bose Amp?)