Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Running rears off my head unit or amp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 03:00 PM
Sirk17
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Running rears off my head unit or amp?

I'm about to start my 3rd corvette install job, first C6. In my two C5z's I ran the front components and rear 5.25s C/As off my 5 channel amp. Speakers were rated at 90 RMS and the amp gave me 75 RMS so it was all good.

This set up the amp is a 60 watt RMS max per channel and the speakers are 130 RMS max. I can bridge the amp to achieve more power to the components and run the rear 5.25s off the head unit.

The question is what would you do AMP power them all or bridge to the front and rears off the head unit.

Speakers are Polk MM1s
Kenwood Head unit
Kenwood XR900-5 AMP
Old 09-23-2018, 10:44 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirk17
I'm about to start my 3rd corvette install job, first C6. In my two C5z's I ran the front components and rear 5.25s C/As off my 5 channel amp. Speakers were rated at 90 RMS and the amp gave me 75 RMS so it was all good.

This set up the amp is a 60 watt RMS max per channel and the speakers are 130 RMS max. I can bridge the amp to achieve more power to the components and run the rear 5.25s off the head unit.

The question is what would you do AMP power them all or bridge to the front and rears off the head unit.

Speakers are Polk MM1s
Kenwood Head unit
Kenwood XR900-5 AMP
Most here will know my answer, disconnect the rears, they just screw the whole soundstage up. In the C6 you don't need them and you get 200% better stereo separation with them off. Because they are mono, they just blend all the sounds together and make a total mess of the sound. Somewhere in one of these threads, I posted music I test my sound systems with. Chicago the Band's song I'm A Man, longer version is a perfect test as the percussion session they go into has each instrument laid out across the dash. The rear speakers muck that all up and just blends everything together. Also on the C6 disconnect the center speaker. Whoever in GM decided that was a good idea had no clue.
Copy this to your favorite media and this one The whole album is no longer available anywhere except Ebay once in a very great while, but it is called Percussive Jazz and the whole album is on Youtube. Well worth getting to test your stereo system.and creating the best soundstage possible.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:54 AM
Sirk17
Burning Brakes

Which ever way I go the rears will be in stereo not mono, I have a base system anyway and I believe only the Bose systems were wire in mono. The center channel is already unhooked.

Do you know if the rear speakers receive a full range signal from the stock amp.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:37 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Which ever way I go the rears will be in stereo not mono, I have a base system anyway and I believe only the Bose systems were wire in mono. The center channel is already unhooked.

Do you know if the rear speakers receive a full range signal from the stock amp.
Bose and stock rears are mono, and not sure what signal is being sent to the back, as I disconnected mine almost instantly. Everyone's tastes in sound are unique to them. I simply prefer no rears, yours will be what you want. I was just tossing out what I have done.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:55 AM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 282 Posts

I prefer front stage with rear fill. I'll be bi- amping my 3 way components in the front and running the rear in stereo off a Kenwood radio.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:51 AM
Sirk17
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VinceC5
I prefer front stage with rear fill. I'll be bi- amping my 3 way components in the front and running the rear in stereo off a Kenwood radio.
I think this is what I have decided to do. I really want to give my front the power they can handle and Im thinking the rears will be fine on the 15-20 watts the headunit will provide.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:30 PM
endus
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 101 Posts

Way better to over power the speakers so that the amp doesn't clip when you turn them up. If I wanted to put together a really solid system I would want at least 150w per channel going in to speakers like that, preferably more.

Last edited by endus; 09-27-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:36 PM
Sirk17
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by endus
Way better to over power the speakers so that the amp doesn't clip when you turn them up. Not sure what speakers are 130 RMS...not that I don't believe you it just seems like all the ones I see are in the 80w range. If I wanted to put together a really solid system I would want at least 150w per channel, preferably more.
They are Polk MM1 6.5 components
Peak Power Handling: 375 Watts per speaker. Continuous Power Handling: 125 Watts per speaker. Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms.

This is my 3rd system I have done in a corvette but the first time I'm not going to amp the rears. The fronts I have used in the past are no longer made MB Quart Q 216s which I think were 80RMS at 2 ohms so the amps matched perfect and I was very happy with the results. If I bridge the amp I will get 150 watts per channel at 4 ohms which is a better match than the 60 max if I don't.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:52 PM
endus
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 101 Posts

They are Polk MM1 6.5 components
Peak Power Handling: 375 Watts per speaker. Continuous Power Handling: 125 Watts per speaker. Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms.

This is my 3rd system I have done in a corvette but the first time I'm not going to amp the rears. The fronts I have used in the past are no longer made MB Quart Q 216s which I think were 80RMS at 2 ohms so the amps matched perfect and I was very happy with the results. If I bridge the amp I will get 150 watts per channel at 4 ohms which is a better match than the 60 max if I don't.
Nice!

Yea sorry, edited my post when I saw you mentioned the speakers in the first post!
Old 09-27-2018, 06:15 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

I've always been a fan of every speaker set having it's own amplified channel. I currently amplify my rears. They sound very crisp and clear. It helps deliver a fuller sound. The beaming from the speakers in the driver door alone is about as terrible as it gets. Having the rear speakers helps balance the sound IMO. Then again I run bi-amp'd, so I have an abundance of channels.

Get notified of new replies

To Running rears off my head unit or amp?

Quick Reply: Running rears off my head unit or amp?