Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radar gun that can tell if you are texting!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 07:07 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Radar gun that can tell if you are texting!

If this sentence isn't an eye opener!!

"According to a National Safety Council report, texting and driving causes 330,000 crashes annually, making it six times more likely to cause an accident than drunk driving."

http://cdllife.com/2018/police-radar...xting-driving/

A Virginia-based company is developing a new radar gun that not only detects speeding, but texting and driving as well.

The new radar guns detect radio frequencies emitted from cell phones. When a text message is sent, the phone emits a distinct frequency, allowing officers to see the violation.

By pairing the new radar with Range-r technology, officers can discern which area of the vehicle the text was sent from. This helps eliminate false claims that the text message was sent by a passenger.

ComSonics hopes that the new tech will keep the roads safe and driver’s eyes away from their phones.

According to a National Safety Council report, texting and driving causes 330,000 crashes annually, making it six times more likely to cause an accident than drunk driving.

This is a technology that could save lives.

The following users liked this post:
erikszr1 (01-15-2019)
Old 10-16-2018, 08:16 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

time to build ''radar jammers'',,or micro-wave emitters to screw with the radar guns
Old 10-16-2018, 11:21 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
time to build ''radar jammers'',,or micro-wave emitters to screw with the radar guns
Don't get caught. That would make the texting fine seem like pennies.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:28 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Curious, can it differentiate between a passenger or driver texting? I don't text while driving.. but I will text if needed and I am a passenger
Old 10-16-2018, 02:13 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I find it pretty hard to believe they could pinpoint a frequency within inches in a car traveling 70 mph.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:56 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

So basically I need to lean into the passenger side of the car while texting to not get caught? I think I can do it, shouldn't be a problem. Let's just say problem solved.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:43 AM
biggator6
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a couple of sentences that I have some.. um.. questions about.

1: The new radar guns detect radio frequencies emitted from cell phones. When a text message is sent, the phone emits a distinct frequency, allowing officers to see the violation.

Well, SMS uses standard voice (not data) communication via a separate control channel. For them to pick this out, they have to be sniffing voice data.. I'd have to talk to some people who do protocol-level cell stuff.. but I don't believe that there's a different frequency - it should be the exact same frequency with a different channel ID. This sounds like BS.

2: By pairing the new radar with Range-r technology, officers can discern which area of the vehicle the text was sent from. This helps eliminate false claims that the text message was sent by a passenger.

Range-R is pretty established, but not sure how well it will work at 70mph. In a small car (say, a corvette) how would you even differentiate between a driver holding a phone in their right hand vs a passenger holding the phone in their left hand.

Something just smells 'off' here. Maybe something that's gray-area legal (like a Stingray).

Also, if I am using android auto/apple carplay and do a voice text.. this will still hit.. and show my phone in my console. They passed a hands-free law here, which is why I just upgraded to an Android Auto head unit.. now I can text without ever taking my phone out of the console.

Last edited by biggator6; 10-17-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:01 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

To be honest, I can't really see this happening. And in the end, it won't be worth the effort either as manufacturer's are incorporating the phone into the cars infotainment center and making more and more functions hands-free and voice dependent.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:17 PM
jchappies
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Heck...I can't even see my phone up close so it's always in the passenger side just so I can see it...lol

BTW...I don't text and drive
Old 10-20-2018, 09:28 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

This is false. Just gives cops PC to pull someone over. Lawyers will have a field day with this.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:53 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, I’ll go out on a very confident limb and say that’s false, unless they have found a way to exploit physics...

Cell phones communicate over different channels on the uplink over 700/850/1700/1900/2100/2600/and higher for some LTE bands. These communications are happening full time, as the cell phone and tower communicate through the pilot channel measuring signal strength and separately for quality so the phone knows when to switch towers, also measuring the neighbor cell towers broadcasted on a separate channnel from the serving cell tower.

While some modulation schemes could reveal where in the frequency the focus area of signal strenth is, it’s also possible to have overlap on a neighbor channel. Mind you, several other forms of data or SMS could be nestled away in these specific frequencies. For example google maps, and apples iMessage will be in the same slot. Sooo.... they would need to decrypt the data. There is currently no super conputer they can fit in a police cruiser that has the processing power to decrypt real time anything on 3G or 4G. Not even 2G without knowing the encryption key will happen that fast.

So, I’ll say that this is impossible for the foreseeable future.

Now, in magic world, let’s assume they have defied physics, cracked the encryption real time, and can determine via radio frequency deconfliction(not a real term btw) what channel, time slot, and event your phone is in. Radio frequencies propagate in so many different fashions that the geometry inside your car will make it near impossible to determine exactly where the device making a text is coming from. The angle of the windshield, the openings of windows, and even the type of glass used would make it virtually impossible unless they’ve created a signature for every vehicle...

This myth is busted.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:57 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
This is false. Just gives cops PC to pull someone over. Lawyers will have a field day with this.
If somebody falls victim to this, I’ll be their lawyer and cast shame on whatever law enforcement officer has believed in such a device.

I love our countries police force, and support them 100%, but this is shenanigans. Also unfair to people who don’t know any better.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:44 AM
biggator6
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VelocityC6z

If somebody falls victim to this, I’ll be their lawyer and cast shame on whatever law enforcement officer has believed in such a device.

I love our countries police force, and support them 100%, but this is shenanigans. Also unfair to people who don’t know any better.
It's the technological equivalent of a drug dog. Totally inaccurate, but enough to give the cops a 'reason'
Old 12-13-2018, 10:37 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Old 12-14-2018, 08:00 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by pjazz
I find it pretty hard to believe they could pinpoint a frequency within inches in a car traveling 70 mph.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:09 AM
carnutsx2
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Buy a Tesla, turn on auto pilot and climb in the back seat , what could go wrong ?
Old 01-12-2019, 06:21 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

There will probably be an exemption if you're texting an order to Dunkin' Donuts.

Get notified of new replies

To Radar gun that can tell if you are texting!

Old 01-15-2019, 12:25 AM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Old 01-15-2019, 12:46 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
If this sentence isn't an eye opener!!

"According to a National Safety Council report, texting and driving causes 330,000 crashes annually, making it six times more likely to cause an accident than drunk driving."

http://cdllife.com/2018/police-radar...xting-driving/

A Virginia-based company is developing a new radar gun that not only detects speeding, but texting and driving as well.

The new radar guns detect radio frequencies emitted from cell phones. When a text message is sent, the phone emits a distinct frequency, allowing officers to see the violation.

By pairing the new radar with Range-r technology, officers can discern which area of the vehicle the text was sent from. This helps eliminate false claims that the text message was sent by a passenger.

ComSonics hopes that the new tech will keep the roads safe and driver’s eyes away from their phones.

According to a National Safety Council report, texting and driving causes 330,000 crashes annually, making it six times more likely to cause an accident than drunk driving.

This is a technology that could save lives.
its time for people to learn not to text and drive, not find ways to do it more.......................
Old 01-15-2019, 12:57 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

What happens if you tell your phone to text AAAA and it does while in the "Phone holder" and you used voice commands ?

Quick Reply: Radar gun that can tell if you are texting!