Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

8.8's in the doors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 08:13 PM
C6Tally
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 8.8's in the doors?

Has anyone replaced the factory Bose stuff and put a pair of JL 8.8's in the doors where the *subs* are?

I'm contemplating a new head unit, a pair of M880's in the doors and a JL amp if the speakers will fit.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:11 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

The issue with replacing the large door speakers is that there is very little mounting depth available, like only ~2.8 inches at best. Nearly all aftermarket drivers are deeper than this. While you can do custom door panel work or modify the window supports/frame inside the door to gain more room, the majority of people will just use 6.5's or 6 x 9s in the door and add a separate sub because it is not only easier, it is normally way cheaper. There are some system offerings from DynAudio and Morel that would work in the door with minimal modifications but you are talking thousands of dollars generally.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:34 AM
C6Tally
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
The issue with replacing the large door speakers is that there is very little mounting depth available, like only ~2.8 inches at best. Nearly all aftermarket drivers are deeper than this. While you can do custom door panel work or modify the window supports/frame inside the door to gain more room, the majority of people will just use 6.5's or 6 x 9s in the door and add a separate sub because it is not only easier, it is normally way cheaper. There are some system offerings from DynAudio and Morel that would work in the door with minimal modifications but you are talking thousands of dollars generally.

Makes sense. I have a set of these on my boat and they are pretty deep. Looks like 6.5's and a sub are probably the route to go. Thanks for the input.

By chance, have you had any experience with the JL sub boxes for the convertibles that fit into the cubby spaces behind the headrests ?
Old 11-06-2018, 02:33 PM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 282 Posts

I have test fit an 8" kicker midbass and a 10" shallow mount mbquart mounted on a 1/4" baffle. Both fit without any issues. It's my daily driver, so taking a long time to finish.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I put in a Soundstream mid base 8" with a 1/2" spacer.
When you get the speaker in the door and mounted. Test the power window to see if it catching anything..

Get notified of new replies

To 8.8's in the doors?

Quick Reply: 8.8's in the doors?