Notices
Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Whose Head Units Do You Prefer And Why?

Old 03-04-2019, 01:17 PM
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member

Received 447 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by j3studio View Post
To be clear, the immediate goal is to upgrade the 2012's aged telematics—what makes this otherwise magnificent vehicle (we're big fans of Louis) feel dated. The most desired feature is the CarPlay the lady has gotten used to in her foul-weather driver and CD playback is still required. Integration with steering wheel controls and car warning sounds is also desired and I feel like I might as well add a backup camera while I'm at it. XM/Sirius is no longer relevant.
I have a 2012 GS, and the stock navigation unit seemed extremely dated even by 2012 standards. Upgrading the head unit is a must do mod in my opinion and brings your C6 into the modern era. As far as keeping the steering wheel controls and warning chimes, it's just a matter of using the correct wiring harness. If you don't have or care for OnStar, I recommend the Pac Audio RP4-GM11. If OnStar is important to you, then the RP5-GM11.
The following users liked this post:
j3studio (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 03:43 PM
02BlownZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

Don't forget, people perceive and hear music differently. What might sound good to one person sounds tinny or harsh to another. The way you adjust your bass/subs to your liking may not be to someone else's liking, etc... My point is, if you can listen to something before buying it would be helpful, but there is a general consensus that Alpine and Kenwood models sound good. A lot of guys like the Pioneer also, but man they don't sound right to me. There are different levels of ability in terms of hearing, too, just like athletic ability which causes a varied opinion on what sounds best. You may end up like me and have to go through a few head units to find the one you like best. It will not be as prevalent if you are going to use the existing factory system but if you upgrade with high end amps, speakers, processor, and subs, it will make a huge difference! Good luck!

Last edited by 02BlownZ06; 03-04-2019 at 03:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 02BlownZ06:
j3studio (03-04-2019), shortbus (04-04-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 05:34 AM
shortbus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kenwood Head unit

I have Kenwood head units in my C4, Silverado, and Road King. Sound quality, features, price for reasons.
I have been using DS18 speakers and amps with great results in my Hummer and C4.
Pioneer is fine as well, have used their products for years, Alpine has always been overpriced IMO. (As good as Kenwood, maybe better, but not enough to justify the cost.)
Old 03-30-2019, 11:22 PM
jrprich
CF Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 165 Posts

For me.....Kenwood
Old 03-31-2019, 08:17 AM
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member

Received 573 Likes on 452 Posts

Here is what I installed in my 2011 GS:

The aftermarket amp and speakers have been in the car since I purchased the car new in 2011 ... The Kenwood head unit is going to replace the OEM head unit in about a week.

Rear subwoofer location:

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 03-31-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:13 PM
JP90

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always preferred Alpine and Kenwood. I have never been a huge fan of pioneer, I have had issues with them and I can never seem to get the sound I am looking for out of them. Latest example my C4 has a Pioneer in it now (previous owner installed) and the bluetooth music cuts out (I've used 2 different phones with it, same result) and when running an amplifier it hisses on quiet parts of a song (quick google search revealed this as common on some pioneer head units). I have never had these issues in any of the Alpines or Kenwoods I have run, and I am always able to get them dialed in much easier to sound how I want them to sound. In the end its all personal preference, go with what you like.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:43 AM
Z064me2enjoy
CF Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was pretty sold on a Kenwood DDX9905 or the Kenwood DNX575s then I got a chance to listen to a Alpine ILX-107, pretty impressive with the 7” Capacitive Screen and Wireless Apple Car Play! Tough decisions
Old 04-04-2019, 08:00 AM
crusher1
CF Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Go with the Kenwood DDX9905....Trust me it is an awesome unit....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whose Head Units Do You Prefer And Why?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: