Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New PAC interface ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 07:05 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I'm now able to switch the cameras on and off from the head unit, I only had to add a RCA Y adapter to the #2 camera input (front camera) where I ran one lead to the #2 camera input an one to the Aux input on the head unit. I didn't need a Y adapter for the #1 (rear) camera, it turned on and off without the need for one. I also pulled the fuse for the OnStar, as a result I was able to program the Phone Answer button to answer the phone when I get a call, also if I press and hold the button it will activate Siri. Loosing OnStar is no big deal because it's no longer supported on my 05 by OnStar. As far as I can tell pulling the fuse only affects the OnStar, if anyone knows any different, please let me know.

Last edited by madsonp; 04-08-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:47 AM
NBVette_Canada
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Camera Setup

Originally Posted by madsonp
Overall I think I'm happier with the GM1A-RST, and would say I'd recommend it over the RP5. I'm just glad I got it so cheap so I'd be able to make this comparison between the two. One of the available settings on the interface which is kind of intriguing is the camera setting, this has many different options can be set to turn the front camera on automatically, one for example would automatically activate the front camera when going between 0 and 3 mph which I think would be really handy when pulling up to a parking spot with parking blocks so you don't get to close, as it is now to activate my front camera I need to press and hold a button on my Pioneer head unit to turn it on. To have it come on automatically I would need to get the PAC VS41 Camera Switch module that also plugs into the GM1A-RST to achieve this. The VS41 really isn't meant to be used with the Corvette but I bet it could be rigged up to where it would work. Here's a link to it. https://pac-audio.com/catalog/video-integration/vs41 What do you guys think ?
Do you know if the RP5-GM11 module can allow this camera functionality you mention by adding the VS41 module or does it require the GM1A-RST module to function? I'm about to install a new head unit (AVH-2440NEX) with both front and rear cameras and am currently researching which module to purchase and I also like the idea of having the front camera automatically activate when going slow and pulling into a parking space. I'm not opposed to buying the more expensive module if it's required for the functionality I want, but if the cheaper module will work, why waste money that can be applied to other things.

Side note: I have a 2007 coupe that does not currently have steering wheel controls but am thinking of changing the wheel to add them which is why I was thinking the RP5-GM11 module.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:14 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NBVette_Canada
Do you know if the RP5-GM11 module can allow this camera functionality you mention by adding the VS41 module or does it require the GM1A-RST module to function? I'm about to install a new head unit (AVH-2440NEX) with both front and rear cameras and am currently researching which module to purchase and I also like the idea of having the front camera automatically activate when going slow and pulling into a parking space. I'm not opposed to buying the more expensive module if it's required for the functionality I want, but if the cheaper module will work, why waste money that can be applied to other things.

Side note: I have a 2007 coupe that does not currently have steering wheel controls but am thinking of changing the wheel to add them which is why I was thinking the RP5-GM11 module.
Sorry, the RP5-GM11 does not work with the VS41, you'd need to use the GM1A-RST. Like the RP5-GM11 the GM1A-RST also works just fine with the steering wheel controls. After using the VS41 for a while, one thing I wish it had was a little more of a delay in shutting off the front camera, it shuts off just a tad to soon in my opinion, I wrote PAC tech support and suggested they add a bit of a delay to the front camera, which they did to the rear camera (according to their revision history).

Last edited by madsonp; 04-24-2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 04-24-2019, 10:24 AM
NBVette_Canada
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Camera Setup

Originally Posted by madsonp
Sorry, the RP5-GM11 does not work with the VS4, you'd need to use the GM1A-RST.
That's what I figured but had to ask. I'd rather know up front than find out in the middle of install that it won't work as I thought with the gear I bought. This way I know to get the proper module to support the VS41 module.

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:05 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NBVette_Canada
That's what I figured but had to ask. I'd rather know up front than find out in the middle of install that it won't work as I thought with the gear I bought. This way I know to get the proper module to support the VS41 module.

Thanks.
Glad to help. One thing I'd suggest if you're not going to use the camera 3 & 4 connections is that you remove the wires/pins from the connector on the VS41, this'll help reduce the cluster of wires you have to deal with behind the dash. I have to admit that I did consider utilizing camera connections 3 & 4 by adding side view cameras that would automatically come on via the VS41 when activating the turn signals, but the thought of drilling into my mirrors to install the cameras changed my mind, so I just removed the pins from the connector as mentioned above.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:53 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

As I expected, these are coming down in price, you can find them now for $199 v.s. the $279 when they first came out. Still a bit pricey though compared the RP5-GM11, but it's getting better. https://www.customsounds.com/shop/ra...ts/pac-gm1arst
Old 04-10-2020, 08:46 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Something else I was considering doing was to hook up a small DVR to the front camera so it would work like a dash camera in addition to everything else. Well I was digging through some of my drawers and I found one I forgot I had. So I hooked it up and it works great, so now if I'm involved in an accident and it's not my fault, I'll have video proof of it. So here's the little DVR I used.

I mounted it inside top of the glove box. If fits there really well, it records on a SD card that fit's in the slot in the front.

It comes with a remote for controlling it.

It has a number of different settings, I have it set to automatically start recording when the car is running, it overrides old video when the card gets full, I also have it set to record at 30 FPS. So far it seems to work good. Here's the menu screen from it.

This is what it looks like when it's recording, notice the record indicator at the bottom left, and the counter at the top right.

So far I kinda like the idea of this over a regular dash cam because everything's hidden, so it's one less thing hanging from the mirror

Last edited by madsonp; 04-16-2020 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-13-2020, 04:25 AM
LdkE
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to read that the DVR helped you as evidence in your accident.
Maybe I missed that but can you pls post pics about the position of the cams?
Old 04-13-2020, 09:40 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LdkE
Glad to read that the DVR helped you as evidence in your accident.
Maybe I missed that but can you pls post pics about the position of the cams?
No, luckily I haven't been in an accident, I said it could be handy IF I was in an accident. Good point on the camera locations on my car, here's some photos showing where I have them located, the front camera is the only one hooked up to the DVR while both front and rear are connected to the VS41 module and the head unit respectively through the use of a couple RCA splitter cables.

Front camera

Rear camera

Quick Reply: New PAC interface ?