Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

PAC RP5-GM11 "Plug & Play" > BS! > Look at all these wires !

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 04:12 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default PAC RP5-GM11 "Plug & Play" > BS! > Look at all these wires !

Here is one reason that I don't think that I am going to install this Kenwood DNX575S in my GS by myself ....

I was under the impression that using the PAC RP5-GM11 Interface along with this new Kenwood HU, that it would be essentially a "Plug & Play" deal.

Well, look at my PAC RP5-GM11 photo below ... Look at all those wires that I have circled in blue (I count 17 of these wires)... Since they are all un-terminated wires, they will all need to be connected with solder or wire barrel connectors.

This is far from "Plug & Play"

What's the deal here?

Old 03-24-2019, 04:53 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

LOL! You have to connect wires from the RP5-GM11 harness to the wires from your Kenwood harness. Once you do that, your Kenwood will be plug and play with your car. I used crimp style connectors, it was very easy to do. You just attach the same color wires together. 8 of the wires are your speaker wires (2 for front left, 2 for front right, and same for the L & R rears). 3 wires are power, 1 is amp turn on, 1 for dimming, etc..

These were the connectors I used,

Amazon Amazon

Edit: Also, if you got it from CrutchField.com they would of connected the wires to your Kenwood for a small fee. But still easy to do.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 03-24-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:04 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Ron, also if you don't feel comfortable or don't want to waste a day doing the install, take it to Best Buy or some audio shop. If the price is right, it may not be worth your time and effort to do it yourself.
The following users liked this post:
Turbo6TA (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:43 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
LOL! You have to connect wires from the RP5-GM11 harness to the wires from your Kenwood harness. Once you do that, your Kenwood will be plug and play with your car. I used crimp style connectors, it was very easy to do. You just attach the same color wires together. 8 of the wires are your speaker wires (2 for front left, 2 for front right, and same for the L & R rears). 3 wires are power, 1 is amp turn on, 1 for dimming, etc..

These were the connectors I used,

https://www.amazon.com/Install-Bay-C...r=8-1-fkmrnull

Edit: Also, if you got it from CrutchField.com they would of connected the wires to your Kenwood for a small fee. But still easy to do.
Lets not forget the VSS, parking brake output, and reverse output wires also.

Last edited by madsonp; 03-24-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:46 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by madsonp
Lets not forget the VSS, parking brake output, and reverse output wires also
That was included in the "etc" part of my post.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:47 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Well, I am not going to install any cameras (front or rear), so I guess that eliminates some of those wires.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:49 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Well, I am not going to install any cameras (front or rear), so I guess that eliminates some of those wires.
In that case you don't need to connect the reverse output wire, so there's one you don't need to hook up.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:56 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

In that case you don't need to connect the reverse output wire, so there's one you don't need to hook up.
And without a rear camera, I guess there would be no need to connect the 'parking brake output' wire as mentioned above.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:56 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Like Fred said, it's simple to do just make sure you pay attention to the wire colors and connect them color to color and your done, then just pull everything in and fire it up. Pay attention to the purple/white reverse output wire so you don't confuse it with the purple and purple/black speaker wires. I personally solder all my connections and use heat shrink tubing.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:04 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

And without a rear camera, I guess there would be no need to connect the 'parking brake output' wire as mentioned above.
You'll need the parking brake output wire hooked up to enter data in your navigation system, I know there's a way to bypass this on the Pioneer system by hooking the parking brake output wire from the head unit to the ground wire and not connecting and taping off the parking brake output wire from the PAC unit so you can enter data in the Nav system while driving, otherwise you have to be stopped and have the parking brake applied to do so, and I believe something similar can be done on the Kenwoods but I not familiar enough with them to tell you how is done

Last edited by madsonp; 03-24-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:21 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

This **** is way above my pay grade ! !
Old 03-24-2019, 08:30 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

I came across this on youtube, this explains how to bypass a Kenwood.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:34 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

I'd suggest you take everything to a car stereo shop and have them wire everything up for you since you sound as though you're not comfortable at all doing it yourself.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:01 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Ron, add a backup camera!!!!! It's so easy to do at this point and you can get a good camera for under $20. This is a must do, imo. You'll be happy you did, so just do it. Can't emphasize it enough.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:05 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

I know there's a way to bypass this on the Pioneer system by hooking the parking brake output wire from the head unit to the ground wire and not connecting and taping off the parking brake output wire from the PAC unit
Hey Madsonp, I thought I would share this with you since you have the Pioneer 8200. There is a secret menu to bypass the parking brake. Here is an old post of mine describing the steps if you are interested.

Copied post:
Another nice thing about this unit, and I believe all Pioneer Avic Nex models, is that the Pioneer has a "discreet" built in emergency brake bypass feature. I just activated this feature the other day after not being allowed to access some photos on my SD card while I was in motion. It's a one time activation that stays on forever unless you change your car battery and lose all power and/or repeat the steps to turn it off. Here's the steps if anyone is interested,

1- Press the main menu button (bottom center)
2- Press AV button on the screen to access AV options
3- Press the source off button
4- Press and hold your finger in the bottom left hand corner for about 10 seconds(about a half inch from bottom and a half inch from left side of the screen, there is no visual icon there, it is a hidden button)

After 10 seconds you will hear a small beep and see a small box appear in the center bottom of screen the says "set on". Procedure is now done and your parking brake is now permanently set to "on" as far as the head unit is concerned.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 03-24-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:54 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Hey Madsonp, I thought I would share this with you since you have the Pioneer 8200. There is a secret menu to bypass the parking brake. Here is an old post of mine describing the steps if you are interested.

Copied post:
Another nice thing about this unit, and I believe all Pioneer Avic Nex models, is that the Pioneer has a "discreet" built in emergency brake bypass feature. I just activated this feature the other day after not being allowed to access some photos on my SD card while I was in motion. It's a one time activation that stays on forever unless you change your car battery and lose all power and/or repeat the steps to turn it off. Here's the steps if anyone is interested,

1- Press the main menu button (bottom center)
2- Press AV button on the screen to access AV options
3- Press the source off button
4- Press and hold your finger in the bottom left hand corner for about 10 seconds(about a half inch from bottom and a half inch from left side of the screen, there is no visual icon there, it is a hidden button)

After 10 seconds you will hear a small beep and see a small box appear in the center bottom of screen the says "set on". Procedure is now done and your parking brake is now permanently set to "on" as far as the head unit is concerned.
Yep, already knew about that, did it to my 8200, and the 8100 I have in my truck long ago, but hey, thanks for thinking about me.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:56 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Ron, add a backup camera!!!!! It's so easy to do at this point and you can get a good camera for under $20. This is a must do, imo. You'll be happy you did, so just do it. Can't emphasize it enough.

Get notified of new replies

To PAC RP5-GM11 "Plug & Play" > BS! > Look at all these wires !

Old 03-31-2019, 09:12 PM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

I personally recommend soldering, electrical tape and then binding the wires together stay night and tight. What I did when I installed my Pioneer in the C6. And like someone said, once you wire it into your radio harness, then it is plug/play. The one thing I didn't like was the door chime - but it is what it is. I used velcro and attached it to the inside top and it's out of the way.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:54 AM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It will make your life much easier if you use a cigar lighter or preferably a heat gun and all-in-one solder/heatshrink/water resistant tubing.

110 PCS Wirefy Solder Seal Wire Connectors - Heat Shrink Butt Connectors - Electrical Wire Terminals - Marine Insulated Butt Splices
Amazon Amazon

i successfully used both methods and so far the all-in-one solution works great.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:56 AM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dkpnkc
I personally recommend soldering, electrical tape and then binding the wires together stay night and tight. What I did when I installed my Pioneer in the C6. And like someone said, once you wire it into your radio harness, then it is plug/play. The one thing I didn't like was the door chime - but it is what it is. I used velcro and attached it to the inside top and it's out of the way.
yes the door chime has a loud shrill to the tone, easily attenuated with a little tape and hole made with a pen.

Quick Reply: PAC RP5-GM11 "Plug & Play" > BS! > Look at all these wires !