Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Sound Deadening my C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:44 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Sound Deadening my C6

Just sharing what I am doing for sound deadening my C6 . If you have any other areas of vibrations/rattles, that I don't show, please leave a comment so I can add it to my list of things to work on. Thanks!

Filled trunk lid with expanding foam....took 3 cans.

2 cans for expanding foam in cubbies.

Trunk locking/pull down mechanism, put sound deadening on metal frame and wrapped around it. Put silicone around the large white connector to keep it from moving. Wrapped Tesa fabric tape around the cable assembly from the key-lock unlock trunk opening near the license plate.

Installed studs to hold my license plate. Put sound deadening on back of license plate and a piece of 1/2" thick closed cell foam as a spacer/cushion.

I used 1/2" and 3/4" diameter foam piping insulation to cover all the wiring for the tailights. I ziptied as much of the wiring as possible first, then placed it inside the foam. Plenty of access to remove the tail lights, and can be removed completely if needed for future replacement.

Tail lights themselves, I am putting black silicone around the lens cover perimeter, I have the dark tinted covers on the circular LED style tail lights, along with putting sound deadening on the back of the tail light housings. Also going to put rope caulk in the rear bumper mounts, to isolate the tail lights as much as possible from the bumper.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:46 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Trunk vent behind the passenger rear speaker, i ripped off the rubber flapper things, as they would make lots of noise at 20hz. Leaving it fully open is fine...do not seal that vent up, it's need to relieve air pressure when closing doors/trunk and ventilation.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:23 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm speechless.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:34 AM
LilNutSac
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 286 Posts

I've never seen or even heard of anyone using GreatStuff (expanding foam) in a car like this. That... sure is somethin!

Reminds me of the SecureFoam from "Demolition Man"
The following users liked this post:
bdanyluk (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 09:35 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

You aren't the first to use the expanding foam in the hatch lid. Please keep us updated on the results of all your efforts.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:10 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
You aren't the first to use the expanding foam in the hatch lid. Please keep us updated on the results of all your efforts.

Wow! Amazing initial results, i will post more pictures in a few days.....just did a test sweep with 20hz to 150hz. Almost all rattles from trunk, inside car and outside car are gone!

0 noise from trunk latch, trunk lid, license plate, or tail lights. Small noise under car, probably plastic diffuser. Doors and dash are up next. Roof suport hoop only has 1 small rattle, so that will be last.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:08 AM
LilNutSac
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 286 Posts

Can you post a pic of what you did with the vent in the rear passenger side? Mine makes a awful racket at anything higher than cruising RPMs. Something MUST be done!
Old 04-11-2019, 10:31 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Originally Posted by LilNutSac
Can you post a pic of what you did with the vent in the rear passenger side? Mine makes a awful racket at anything higher than cruising RPMs. Something MUST be done!
All I did was grab the thin flapping rubber, and pulled it all off with my hands. So now it's just an open hole that does not make any noise. I think it's ok to leave it fully open, it is covered up already by the body panels, so there is no fear of water coming in any way possible.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:53 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I would HATE to work on that thing after all this foam is installed. Better hope none of your wiring shorts or have any issues you need to fix LOL
Old 04-11-2019, 12:12 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I would HATE to work on that thing after all this foam is installed. Better hope none of your wiring shorts or have any issues you need to fix LOL
I have 0 concerns of this. In the tail lights, It's just zip ties to remove. The expanding foam doesn't block anything or have any hidden wires inside. The 1/0 ground wire and wires that go to my backup camera exit the cubby at the bottom.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:18 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Currently working on the passenger door panel. The door lock and window switch is made of 3 parts...yes 3, not just 1 or 2. So the plastic pieces can move back and forth and rattle. I put in black silicone to prevent any movement. The other issue is the small cubby at the bottom of the door. Its held in by 6 screws...I am removing the screws, wrapping it in sound deadener/foam and then gluing back in. No need to ever remove this piece from the door panel. Same with the small red circle door reflector...gluing it in to prevent any rattle.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:07 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I despise you if I bought your car used. Buy it and go to remove a panel to work on something with EVERYTHING with silicone or expanding foam to chisel out.

Thorough work though. One....errr 30 steps closer to that Cadillac quiet ride lol!
Old 05-17-2019, 09:50 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Updates?
Old 05-17-2019, 12:27 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
Updates?
Didn't do any work over the past 6 weeks..my lower back was hurting...did some stretches every day since, and now I am much better. Here is where I am at on the passenger door.

Get notified of new replies

To Sound Deadening my C6

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening my C6