Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

2006 vert audio upgrade project questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:01 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Default 2006 vert audio upgrade project questions

Putting in a kenwood ddx9904s and removing factory with navigation/ xm.

Can I just remove the XM box that's behind my waterfall? Or is that needed for something else? I've never used the monster and dont plan on it.

I'm sure I'll come along other questions as I dig in.....

Old 04-03-2019, 11:22 PM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 282 Posts

Safe to remove.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:24 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

I reused the original XM antenna connection to this box for the stock XM antenna by getting some adapters and connecting it up to the new XM receiver I got for my Pioneer system, it works great and saves you from having to mount an additional antenna for XM. Let me know if you're interested in what I used, and I'll give you more details.

Last edited by madsonp; 04-04-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:49 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Originally Posted by madsonp
I reused the original XM antenna connection to this box for the stock XM antenna by getting some adapters and connecting it up to the new XM receiver I got for my Pioneer system, it works great and saves you from having to mount an additional antenna for XM. Let me know if you're interested in what I used, and I'll give you more details.
Cool, you can PM me more details and I'll check it out. However, the only time I ever had satellite radio is when i had the trial when I first bought the vette. to me it doesn't seem worth paying for when i can just stream my phone with spotify, pandora, or downloaded tunes.

I'm thinking of just removing the box if it isn't needed so i can mount an amp there and relocate the plastic box that has wires connected that is just behind the waterfall on the trunk floor (not sure what that is either) so i have an extra inch or two for sub box
Old 04-04-2019, 07:09 PM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 282 Posts

Default Good reading

Here....
Amp in waterfall
Old 04-04-2019, 07:27 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Originally Posted by VinceC5
exactly my thoughts.

Figuring out as I go and will more than likely have to be creative with box because I do not want to lose trunk space. Hoping to fit (2)6.5's and (1) 10 right behind seat .....will challenge my audio building skills for sure!

So far my plan is:

Kenwood ddx9904s
(Keeping factory Bose amp for now)
JL c2-350x in door w/ factory Bose subs
JL c2-650 in rear
JL 10tw3-d4 (custom box) powered by arc audio ks125.4 bridged into 2 ch mode

72 sq ft of 80 mil kilmat
50 sq ft of 50 mil kilmat

Considering removing center dash speaker as well
Old 04-05-2019, 10:02 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hmmmm16417
Cool, you can PM me more details and I'll check it out. However, the only time I ever had satellite radio is when i had the trial when I first bought the vette. to me it doesn't seem worth paying for when i can just stream my phone with spotify, pandora, or downloaded tunes.

I'm thinking of just removing the box if it isn't needed so i can mount an amp there and relocate the plastic box that has wires connected that is just behind the waterfall on the trunk floor (not sure what that is either) so i have an extra inch or two for sub box
PM sent.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:11 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Ok, I have a 10tw3-d4 that I'm going to use. Building a box to fit under the area where the top folds into the trunk. I've always been a fan of seLed enclosure, but curious if anyone has done ported in a vert Nd if it has any benefits.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:39 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Mounted the JL audio C2-650 components in place of 5.25 Bose today. Looks pretty good with very minimal mod. Perfect fit for x-overs too.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:40 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

I'll be interested in what you come up with for a sub box, I'd like to add one to my vert also. Would your idea for a box impact the ability to put the top down ? Be sure to show us what you come up with.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:38 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

I'll be interested in what you come up with for a sub box, I'd like to add one to my vert also. Would your idea for a box impact the ability to put the top down ? Be sure to show us what you come up with.
My idea involves reworking the partition piece that goes under the top. If I remove that and have it go straight down rather than under the top, it barely leaves me room for the enclosure. The 10tw3-d4 only requires .5 cu ft. And has a mounting depth of 3.25" , so it only goes into the enclosure 2.625" if I use .625" material..... I could probably squeeze TWO of these in and get 1.0 cu ft to work, but then I'll wait to see how the single works first. That could be an upgrade at a later time.
Originally wanted to do a custom box and have it face forward behind waterfall, but the cost analysis was not worth my time and was proving to be VERY difficult, although barely possible.

Once completed, I would be more than happy to make a file with plans and distribute to anyone interested.

Since my amp wont fit IN the waterfall, I'm planning to mount it on the partition in the middle BETWEEN the 6.5"......where it would still be "hidden" by the waterfall.

Has anyone successfully installed an Arc Audio KS125.4 mini in the waterfall?
Old 04-20-2019, 04:43 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hmmmm16417
My idea involves reworking the partition piece that goes under the top. If I remove that and have it go straight down rather than under the top, it barely leaves me room for the enclosure. The 10tw3-d4 only requires .5 cu ft. And has a mounting depth of 3.25" , so it only goes into the enclosure 2.625" if I use .625" material..... I could probably squeeze TWO of these in and get 1.0 cu ft to work, but then I'll wait to see how the single works first. That could be an upgrade at a later time.
Originally wanted to do a custom box and have it face forward behind waterfall, but the cost analysis was not worth my time and was proving to be VERY difficult, although barely possible.

Once completed, I would be more than happy to make a file with plans and distribute to anyone interested.

Since my amp wont fit IN the waterfall, I'm planning to mount it on the partition in the middle BETWEEN the 6.5"......where it would still be "hidden" by the waterfall.

Has anyone successfully installed an Arc Audio KS125.4 mini in the waterfall?
Any up-dates on your sub box yet ?
Old 04-23-2019, 02:01 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Any up-dates on your sub box yet ?
Not yet. I just got the car back together so I can drive it and start dailing in the other parts of the system and get used to the head unit. so far it sounds awesome! However, the rear speakers were a bit overpowering so the gain on my amp is all the way down. once I get that sub in, I will turn the gains up a bit.

as for the box, my initial dimensions are shown below. (side view) It will be about 33" wide. I have to do some more measuring and trial & error shaping before finalization. I my have to adjust the height down slightly. if I do, I will make it a bit wider to make up the air space. I will definitley update when done, or while doing it. once complete, i will make some "plans" when complete to share. I am removing the partition that is around the top when it is down and will be cutting it so when you look into the trunk, it will go straight down to the floor. the other half I will be using to mount to the sub box and use the attachments in front of the trunk to keep the box from sliding around. For the 10tw3-d4 only requires .5 cu ft of space. I'm betting someone could fit TWO of them in the space that I'm using....but they aren't cheap

Old 04-23-2019, 02:02 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

I leave for jamaica tomorrow for vacation and will not be able to work on this until next week. But I will keep you posted!!!!
Old 05-01-2019, 12:48 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

built the box the other day. Ended up being slightly bigger since I went with 3/4" MDF rather than 5/8". Still need to put carpet on it and modify the partition, but so far I think it sounds awesome! I'll get some pics later, but so far it does NOT interfere with the Top when folded down. However, I'm curious if the woofer will extend far enough to actually hit the cloth...... haven't had a chance to crank it with top down. IF it is too close, I will probably end up building a flat box that has a slightly bigger footprint to make up for air space. I'm also considering another box but PORTED just to see what the difference is.

I will say for sure that the sub makes a BIG difference with the top up.. it's going to take a while to get it dialed in because this head unit has WAY TOO MANY adjustments!!!!
Old 05-01-2019, 08:05 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Got the sub box in and covered. Still experimenting though. Sounds good with the top up, and the sub is clear of the top when it's down.....BUT.... it sounds a bit more "muffled" when top is down. Pics below of set up now. However, I'm considering a flat box rather than angled to give a bit more clearance from the folded top.
I did some positioning and it definitely sounds the best with the sub facing the rear And the current box just barely fits that way. I have plenty of materials to try a couple more options.... 1. Ported enclosure, 2. Flatter box facing the rear.

Personally, I think it looks horrible in trunk at the moment, but I'm just starting. Trial and error hahaha. More than likely will end up building a different enclosure to go with option #2. The box only needs to be about 3" deep so I wont sacrifice much trunk space. It all comes down to maximum sound or maximum trunk space ....

Modified rear partition

Front camera view

Section of partition screwed to box to hold in place using factory clips

Double din installed

6.5 JL components in rear

Rear camera view

Rear camera mount

Sub box under folded top

Front camera. Mount

Sub box
Old 05-02-2019, 01:25 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Interesting, looks like you're making progress. It's good to know it works with the top down, does the top rub any on the sides of the box ? I can see where it would sound muffled with the top down, perhaps a ported box with the ports facing forward would help with that. As for the modified partition, have you perhaps considered using a piece of masonite instead, and covering it with carpet ? That way you could cut it to conform to the shape of the wheel wells better. Also, where do you get that partition piece from ? I don't think mine has a piece like that. I'll be looking forward to your future updates,, and to see what you end up with a finished product.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 vert audio upgrade project questions

Old 05-02-2019, 07:10 AM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Interesting, looks like you're making progress. It's good to know it works with the top down, does the top rub any on the sides of the box ? I can see where it would sound muffled with the top down, perhaps a ported box with the ports facing forward would help with that. As for the modified partition, have you perhaps considered using a piece of masonite instead, and covering it with carpet ? That way you could cut it to conform to the shape of the wheel wells better. Also, where do you get that partition piece from ? I don't think mine has a piece like that. I'll be looking forward to your future updates,, and to see what you end up with a finished product.
The partition is stock. It normally goes from trunk to behind seat
I'm thinking it sounds muffled because the top folds down within an inch and doesn't allow the air to breath.

When I have the box facing rear in trunk it hits reay good

Last edited by hmmmm16417; 05-02-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:02 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Any more updates on your subwoofer project ?
Old 05-15-2019, 05:57 AM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Have been working a lot of 12 hr shifts so I haven't had time to rebuild the box. The current wedge box is good for me (for now) and I plan to carpet it and keep it for now. I have it in middle of trunk currently . When I need the trunk space, I just slide it forward and it tucks nicely even when the top is down. I'm probably going to leave the partition out to allow me to move the box where I need it.

Once I have some more time, I'll be trying another style of box and I may even end up with 2 subs....But for now, this one is good.

I have a few other projects to do on the car as well.....
New seat skins from ridies
Afterburner tail lights (diode dynamics)
New wheels

Baby steps

Quick Reply: 2006 vert audio upgrade project questions