Notices
Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Tinny sound... I take it not matched ?

Old 05-09-2019, 12:35 PM
GCG
CF Senior Member

Received 383 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by DorianC3 View Post
Silly question but... how do these get wired up? There still seems to be distortion.
I couldnít find anything on four wires. Two wires is easy: in line on positive. This ?!?!
And if there are 15 correct ways and 1 wrong way... Iíll do it that way
​​​
@DorianC3 Those High-Pass Filters have 2 input and 2 output wires with narrow/wide and male/female spade connectors. They can only be connected one way, there's no possibility of swapping wires by mistake even if you try

Take the output wires (insulated female connectors) from the filter and connect them to the speaker terminals: wide to wide (+) and narrow to narrow (-). Now take the input wires (uninsulated male connectors) from the filter and connect them to the corresponding speaker output wires coming from the headunit. Make sure you make the connections keeping the right polarity (this is critical). I would crimp insulated female spade connectors to the wires from the headunit to mate them to the filter wires (wide for + and narrow for -), that way you could take the filters out at anytime and go directly to the speakers to easily test "before" and "after" or troubleshoot, if needed.

Last edited by GCG; 05-09-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:07 PM
DorianC3
CF Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

And I did it wrong. I cut off the connectors because they didnít match my speakers and of course, I reversed the polarity.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:38 PM
GCG
CF Senior Member

Old 05-09-2019, 02:35 PM
GCG
CF Senior Member

And I did it wrong. I cut off the connectors because they didnít match my speakers and of course, I reversed the polarity.
@DorianC3 Now that I think about it, if you cut all connectors from all 4 filters, then you lost your reference to fix the connections. I hope that wasn't the case, but just in case, this is the convention used:
  • White wire -> (+) -> wide spade connector
  • Black wire -> (-) -> narrow spade connector

It seems the output side is to the right when having the filter in front of you, with its writing facing you and oriented so you can read it.

This picture might be helpful:

Just out of curiosity, what kind of connectors do your speakers have? Over here they usually have spade connectors, so these filters would be plug-and-play.

Last edited by GCG; 05-09-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:13 PM
DorianC3
CF Senior Member

That did it... I went from shitty sound to excellent.

Fortunately I took some pics before I installed and determined that the D of Crutchfield was on the female connector side.

The speakers had two 4.8 mm spades instead of one medium and one small. Since I replaced one side with a medium, I replaced the other as well. An OCD symmetrical thing.

Itís so much better now !
Old 05-09-2019, 06:09 PM
GCG
CF Senior Member

I'm glad everything went well!

@DorianC3 NOTE: Remember to set the Low-Pass filter in your subwoofer to 125Hz and connect it behind the radio to either the front or rear speaker outputs (in parallel with those speakers).

Last edited by GCG; 05-09-2019 at 06:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DorianC3 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 03:47 AM
DorianC3
CF Senior Member

Thanks !

Just to close the loop on this one...

I am going to build my own removable "sound bar" that can be 'perched' on the back of the wheel wells. I am basing myself on the designs I have seen on this board.

Instead of two speakers in the rear... can I put two pairs in series? 4 + 4 would be 8 Ohms. As I understand, that works fine.

But what does that do for the bass blocker? Would it be necessary then?

Last edited by DorianC3; 05-10-2019 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:56 AM
GCG
CF Senior Member

...I am going to build my own removable "sound bar" that can be 'perched' on the back of the wheel wells. I am basing myself on the designs I have seen on this board.

Instead of two speakers in the rear... can I put two pairs in series? 4 + 4 would be 8 Ohms. As I understand, that works fine.

But what does that do for the bass blocker? Would it be necessary then?
From an audio perspective, that would be much better than having the rear channels down in the kick panels, as I mentioned before

Loading the rear channels with double the normal impedance would reduce the power delivered to them to half (P = U≤ / R) and it will put the rear channels at a disadvantage in relation to the front ones. You might be able to compensate for that with the front-to-back fader and the volume, but in the end the system would not be able to play as loud as it would with 4 ohms all around.

You could try to find speakers with 2 ohms (not very common), but then you wouldn't have speakers from the same series/line all around. I know you already bought 5ľ" ones, but my suggestion would be to increase the speaker size instead, and use 6" x 9" coaxials from the same series/line as the ones in the front channels.

None of this should affect the High-Pass filters or the subwoofer. However, if you want to optimize the system to the maximum, you could lower the crossover point a little. All other things being equal, larger speakers should be able to handle lower frequencies better, so instead of crossing over between 125Hz-150Hz you could go down to 80Hz. Your subwoofer has a variable Low-Pass filter, so that wouldn't be a problem, but that would require 4 new in-line passive High-Pass filters.

Last edited by GCG; 05-10-2019 at 11:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DorianC3 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 04:15 AM
DorianC3
CF Senior Member

I wanted to quickly come back to this one. It turns out that one of the (new) speakers was somehow damaged. I think maybe even from factory. Gently pushing the paper cone back and forth, I could hear some "screeching".
Old 05-15-2019, 10:00 AM
GCG
CF Senior Member

...Gently pushing the paper cone back and forth, I could hear some "screeching".
That's not good!... Good opportunity to exchange them for 6" x 9"s for your new rear sound bar, as I recommended in my previous post

Last edited by GCG; 05-15-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:28 PM
GCG
CF Senior Member

Please, post some pictures and let us know how everything came out when you're done
Old Yesterday, 03:13 AM
DorianC3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by GCG View Post
Please, post some pictures and let us know how everything came out when you're done
Will do !

I actually have the sub and will soon work on a custom "sound bar" for the rear.
Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM
GCG
CF Senior Member

...will soon work on a custom "sound bar" for the rear.
I know, you told us about it in a previous post and asked a question regarding speakers in a sound bar . I answered your question and gave you a suggestion above in Post 28. Just trying to make sure you didn't miss it

Last edited by GCG; Yesterday at 09:48 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM
DorianC3
CF Senior Member

Absolutely. I have read it several times over and am still plotting how I want this to come together

Stay tuned.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: