Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AM/FM reception on factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 09:47 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default AM/FM reception on factory radio

Is it true that Corvettes don't get good reception on radio because the body of Corvette is not metal?
Old 05-22-2019, 03:06 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

I don't think that has anything to do with it, i'm thinking it's just the garbage factory stereo. I had crap reception on my 2006 factory stereo. I recently changed it out and installed a kenwood using the factory antenna and I get TONS of reception now.
The following users liked this post:
LS WON (05-23-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 03:28 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

I got great reception with the OEM head unit and now with the Pioneer aftermarket unit. I have a vert with the power antenna. If you have a coupe, there is an antenna booster which requires a 5V source if you use an aftermarket HU.
The following users liked this post:
LS WON (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 09:30 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

It seems to be that the factory head unit and sound systems have always been the weak spot even though they are the neatest installation.
Estimates are too expensive from $2,000 that I have got for a complete replacement of headunit and speakers.
I'll just keep the factory system in 2005 that doesn't even have "BOSE" written across the front door speakers.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:39 AM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
It seems to be that the factory head unit and sound systems have always been the weak spot even though they are the neatest installation.
Estimates are too expensive from $2,000 that I have got for a complete replacement of headunit and speakers.
I'll just keep the factory system in 2005 that doesn't even have "BOSE" written across the front door speakers.
I found the same. Originally was just going to change head unit .... then one thing led to another. Next thing I knew I was 1500+ into it and I did all the install myself. AND I got great deals . If I had paid full price, it would have been 2500 easy. Install probably would have been another 500-750.

But she sure sounds great now!
Old 05-23-2019, 09:45 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hmmmm16417
I found the same. Originally was just going to change head unit .... then one thing led to another. Next thing I knew I was 1500+ into it and I did all the install myself. AND I got great deals . If I had paid full price, it would have been 2500 easy. Install probably would have been another 500-750.

But she sure sounds great now!
that's exactly what happened to me when I went out to get estimates so now I just left it factory stock. Strange as it maybe I like the feature on the factory stereo, the automatic volume control that goes up and down depending on noise. I was told I would loose this feature with the aftermarket unit.
The down side is that I have no monitor screen so all of my navigation and back up camera are all separate units so it's not a neat install , takes up more space in small interior with all of the wires going everywhere even though they are hidden into carpet/interior but all of my accessory plugs are full which also includes extension plug with multiple outlets to plug in extra accessories.

Get notified of new replies

To AM/FM reception on factory radio

Quick Reply: AM/FM reception on factory radio