Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Kenwood stereo cutting out at high volume

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 10:29 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Kenwood stereo cutting out at high volume

I sold a family member my old Kenwood double din stereo and installed it for him. We have two 10" Rockford Fosgate subs (2 ohm), and Class D (mono amp) 750 watt Rockford Fosgate amp powering the subs. An Alpine 300 Watt 4 channel amp powering 4 JBL round speakers in the door.

The stereo sounds SWEET. The only problem is about 75% volume or higher the stereo shuts down and reboots, everytime, even when the engine is running.

I've really scratched my head on this and the only thing I can come up with is that the subs are 2 ohm, and the door speakers are likely 4 ohm (we don't know for sure, because they were already installed), creating an imbalance in the stereo. When I owned the stereo it never had this issue, but I don't even remember what the specs are on the speakers/subs were but I believe they were all 4 ohm.

Can anyone else verify this or maybe give me another possible reason for why it's doing this?

Last edited by htown81vette; 06-03-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:34 AM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 282 Posts

The low impedance on the subs would make the amp shutdown, not make the radio reboot. It could be a case of voltage dip. Where is the amp power and ground connected to? Do your lights also dim badly when right before the radio reboots? I'm assuming the radio is not directly driving any speakers...
Old 05-30-2019, 09:36 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by VinceC5
The low impedance on the subs would make the amp shutdown, not make the radio reboot. It could be a case of voltage dip. Where is the amp power and ground connected to? Do your lights also dim badly when right before the radio reboots? I'm assuming the radio is not directly driving any speakers...
We bought an amp wiring kit with shielded wires good for 600W, actually we bought 2, one for the 4 channel and one for the sub amp. Ground wires come with the kit and exactly the same. I have them both wired to the bolt holding down the back seat. The power wires are run directly up to the battery, and fused (with the fuse that comes with the kit). Not sure about the lights but I don't think so. Radio is wired to the amp, then amp to the speakers. However there is an "adapter" that I was forced to buy that adapts the radio to the factory harness. I'm suspecting something might be wrong with this adapter. I remember it had dip switches for certain types of radios, I had the change the dip switch settings to get it to work. Wondering if it's not on the correct setting. The instructions were not clear for this adapter. It does sound like a power issue to the head unit itself.

Last edited by htown81vette; 06-03-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:25 PM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

what type of car, and what adapter?

some of the pac harness, if that is the one you used, you have to bypass the rears.... or i guess I should say you run them from the radio to output side of the pack. or, you may be pulling more acc than the harness can handle, which can be fixed with a relay
Old 06-02-2019, 12:56 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,167 Posts

One thing about the PAC interface that could be causing this, if it's a older one, you may need to add a jumper. See the "Important Instruction For Double DIN Radios" section from the installation instructions found here. https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...541RP5GM11.PDF I guess the newer ones already have this jumper in place.

Last edited by madsonp; 06-02-2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2019, 01:40 PM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
One thing about the PAC interface that could be causing this, if it's a older one, you may need to add a jumper. See the "Important Instruction For Double DIN Radios" section from this installations instructions found here. https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...541RP5GM11.PDF I guess the newer ones already have this jumper in place.

all the new ones have a 12 inch black and yellow wire that has this note attached to the wires. An easy way to check if you need to do the above.

there was also an addendum on the pac harness, especially with chevy trucks where you have to bypass the rears, and/or run a relay. I have had to do this with quite a few kenwood radios
Old 06-02-2019, 02:16 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Times
what type of car, and what adapter?...
This info is crucial.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:22 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by GCG
This info is crucial.
It's a 2009 Silverado (I know not a Corvette). But I think that is right the harness/adapter is not able to handle the power.

I looked around in other forums and someone with the same problem ran a jumper on the power wire all the way up to the battery (and fused it) and that fixed the problem.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:26 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by madsonp
One thing about the PAC interface that could be causing this, if it's a older one, you may need to add a jumper. See the "Important Instruction For Double DIN Radios" section from the installation instructions found here. https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...541RP5GM11.PDF I guess the newer ones already have this jumper in place.
I believe you are correct. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can get over there (I installed this radio for a family member) but I'll try running the jumper and see if that works.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:32 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

It also says you need to jumper the ground wire which makes sense.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:29 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by htown81vette
It's a 2009 Silverado (I know not a Corvette). But I think that is right the harness/adapter is not able to handle the power.

I looked around in other forums and someone with the same problem ran a jumper on the power wire all the way up to the battery (and fused it) and that fixed the problem.
But what adapter was used? Without knowing the specific adapter, all advices about jumpers, dip switches, etc may not apply to your case...
Old 06-03-2019, 02:47 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by GCG
But what adapter was used? Without knowing the specific adapter, all advices about jumpers, dip switches, etc may not apply to your case...
The problem is solved as far as I am concerned.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:01 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

That's all that matters.

Last edited by GCG; 06-03-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Kenwood stereo cutting out at high volume

Quick Reply: Kenwood stereo cutting out at high volume