Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

I need a opinion regarding a ATOTO A6 PRO pro head unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 10:20 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Default I need a opinion regarding a ATOTO A6 PRO pro head unit

ATOTO A6 Pro A6Y2721PRB 2DIN are these units worthy of a corvette? would you or have you or know of anybody whose installed one of these head units in their vette. any comments prior to my purchasing this unit would be very appreciated.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:56 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Spend the money and get a quality brand head unit, Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine etc.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:46 AM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I know there are users here who have used these cheap Chinese android headunits like that and are happy with them. I also have read of others who could never get them to sound good. They are intriguing given the features that you get for the price, but if you only want to do this once I'd take the advice above and buy from one of the major players.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:20 AM
Schnell
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to get one and install it this week probably. Trying decide between A6Y2721PRB and A6Y2721PR. Leaning towards B version cause I don't see any AUX input on the other. I'm going to install backup camera as well when I do it and maybe a dash cam. What did you end up putting in?
Old 06-30-2019, 01:31 PM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

leaning towards a refurbished kenwood dmx905s this is a 2018 model. do have any comments on purchasing a refurbished head units?
Old 06-30-2019, 06:34 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Originally Posted by boonie c4
leaning towards a refurbished kenwood dmx905s this is a 2018 model. do have any comments on purchasing a refurbished head units?
I personally have never had good luck with refurbished unit's, I suggest you spend the money and get a brand new one, you know it is a Corvette after all, which is another reason I wonder why anyone would want to throw a cheap Chinese unit in it. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by madsonp; 06-30-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:12 PM
Schnell
Heel & Toe

I just ordered the A6Y2721PRB along with a backup camera. Probably do the install Friday or over the weekend. I'll let you know what I think. If this is good I'm going to get another for 2013 Tacoma.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:44 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

eager to hear the out come please keep us up to date regarding your progress.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:38 PM
Schnell
Heel & Toe

Old 07-07-2019, 09:38 PM
Schnell
Heel & Toe

It ended up being a big job. 12-14 hours. I think I spent 3 hours trying to get SWC working. The metra kit didn't fit right and probably spent 4 hours trying messing with it and taking dremel to it. Backup camera install pretty straight forward and works great. This is light years over the horrid stock nav system. My wife thinks the sound is hugely improved as well.

Last edited by Schnell; 07-07-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:27 PM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

what would you do different?
Old 07-08-2019, 11:42 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Schnell
what did you have to do to get the SWC to work?
Old 07-08-2019, 05:50 PM
Schnell
Heel & Toe

One reason I picked the 'pro' version is because it has aptX and both my phone and wifes support aptX. The built in EQ is pretty awesome and I think major reason for the better sound over stock. We're going to use it for a little while and as of now I will get a 2nd one for another vehicle.

I forgot to mention was on initial power up I had no sound. Debugging this probably took an hour but in the end it was 100% my fault as I did not solder the RP5 amp wire to the A6 amp wire. I thought the car didn't have an amp and I had purposely not soldered it together.
The RP5 has a radio selector switch with must be set to one of alpine, jvc, kenwood, clarion, 'pioneer sony other' and fusion. I asked atoto before I started the install which one and they said set it at 7 which correlate to 'pioneer sony other'. The RP5 documentation shows to use the 3.5mm plug when the selector is set for 7 'pioneer sony other'. On the back of the A6 there is a 3.5 jack input that shows SWC. That did not work. I tried all kinds of configurations and what did work for me was setting the selector to 2 (jvc) and using the RP5 blue/yellow swc wire connected to A6 Key(+) / Key#(+). Be sure to follow the RP5 directions on how to 'program' the device and if you do have to reprogram it unplug the power cable wire connector going into it, change the selector, re-plug power cable into RP5 and reprogram device.

Also note that this morning I got a response from atoto support for my questions on SWC and their response is...

You would need to cut off the cable with 3.5mm jack providing two wires. Then connect these two wires to the Key(+) / Key#(+) wire of ATOTO A6.
Afterwards, you just need to program each keys by pressing “Settings →Default settings →Steering wheel program→Reset”. Click one key value from ATOTO and it will flicker, when you press one of the keys on steering wheel, the flickering would stop and the status should change, then this key is successfully programmed. Press "Save" to save your setting.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:55 AM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

I just installed an eonon 8.1 android. I'm still downloading and installing things so it isn't completely set up to my liking yet but I think it's freaking awesome. Light years ahead of the stock unit and sound quality is highly improved. SWC works and you can set up the buttons to do whatever you want with the PAC and the app on the unit. I also got a dongle to use Apple CarPlay. Works great.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:50 PM
Schnell
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by racerx3317
I just installed an eonon 8.1 android. I'm still downloading and installing things so it isn't completely set up to my liking yet but I think it's freaking awesome. Light years ahead of the stock unit and sound quality is highly improved. SWC works and you can set up the buttons to do whatever you want with the PAC and the app on the unit. I also got a dongle to use Apple CarPlay. Works great.
Did you use metra faceplate? Did you have to do work for it to fit? Any pics?
Old 07-18-2019, 10:46 AM
racerx3317
Drifting

Did you use metra faceplate? Did you have to do work for it to fit? Any pics?
I ended up using the Scosche. Looks like crap. Had to trim the surround and I hate how it came out as I got a little impatient. I think I might just fill in where the surround clips into with epoxy, sand and paint it so it's flat. I bought the Metra kit too but I haven't swapped it yet. I work in a university and I was thinking of asking one of the professors in the 3D printing lab to fab something up.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:45 PM
Schnell
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by racerx3317
I ended up using the Scosche. Looks like crap. Had to trim the surround and I hate how it came out as I got a little impatient. I think I might just fill in where the surround clips into with epoxy, sand and paint it so it's flat. I bought the Metra kit too but I haven't swapped it yet. I work in a university and I was thinking of asking one of the professors in the 3D printing lab to fab something up.
I don't understand how these companies are making it so crappy. The metra took a huge amount of work but I feel good about the way it came out.

Get notified of new replies

To I need a opinion regarding a ATOTO A6 PRO pro head unit

Old 07-23-2019, 10:52 AM
racerx3317
Drifting

I don't understand how these companies are making it so crappy. The metra took a huge amount of work but I feel good about the way it came out.
Me either. The stupid face plate always needs to be trimmed and always ends up looking a bit rough. Why can't they just make a thinner one as an option? I'm going to swap it to the Metra and take my time with it to get it to fit right.

Last edited by racerx3317; 07-24-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:15 PM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default so how would you grade atoto?

now that you have it up and running what grade would you give atoto?
Old 08-21-2019, 06:31 PM
Schnell
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by boonie c4
now that you have it up and running what grade would you give atoto?
I give it an A+ and I actually bought a second for another vehicle of mine which had it's screen burn out.

Quick Reply: I need a opinion regarding a ATOTO A6 PRO pro head unit