Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > General Corvette Topics > Audio/Electronics
Reload this Page >

86-89 BOSE Head Unit and Speaker Rebuild Guide with AUX Input

Notices
Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

86-89 BOSE Head Unit and Speaker Rebuild Guide with AUX Input

Old 07-05-2019, 04:36 PM
SLVRSHRK
CF Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 86-89 BOSE Head Unit and Speaker Rebuild Guide with AUX Input

All,

I spent a lot of time gathering information about rebuilding the 86-89 Bose stereo and speakers from the forums and across the Internet, including getting my hands on a set of factory schematics which allowed me to add an AUX input to the system. In order to preserve the information and help others, I compiled an extensive document on the procedures including:
  • Why the Capacitors fail
  • Replacing the speaker capacitors
  • Replacing every capacitor in the Head unit
  • Refurbishing and cleaning the cassette deck
  • Adding an AUX input to the radio
  • Parts lists for cassette belts and LED lighting for the head unit
The doc is attached as a PDF to this post and is 55 pages or so long. I tried to document each step with pictures to make it easier to follow along.

Have at it and feel free to PM me with suggestions or additional information you have that might be useful to include.

NOTE: Although I have the factory schematics, all of the diagrams within the document are original to me so there should be no copyright issues with this doc.

-SLVRSHRK
Attached Images

Last edited by SLVRSHRK; 07-05-2019 at 04:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ctmccloskey (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 11:32 AM
GCG
CF Senior Member

Received 430 Likes on 367 Posts

Excellent work!
Old 07-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Cruisinfanatic
. 1985 Original Owner .
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by SLVRSHRK View Post
All,

I spent a lot of time gathering information about rebuilding the 86-89 Bose stereo and speakers from the forums and across the Internet, including getting my hands on a set of factory schematics which allowed me to add an AUX input to the system. In order to preserve the information and help others, I compiled an extensive document on the procedures including:
  • Why the Capacitors fail
  • Replacing the speaker capacitors
  • Replacing every capacitor in the Head unit
  • Refurbishing and cleaning the cassette deck
  • Adding an AUX input to the radio
  • Parts lists for cassette belts and LED lighting for the head unit
The doc is attached as a PDF to this post and is 55 pages or so long. I tried to document each step with pictures to make it easier to follow along.

Have at it and feel free to PM me with suggestions or additional information you have that might be useful to include.

NOTE: Although I have the factory schematics, all of the diagrams within the document are original to me so there should be no copyright issues with this doc.

-SLVRSHRK
Excellent!!!
Found a problem though, sorry
Bose radio models 16125781 and 16041551 came in the 85 through 89 vettes not just 86-89

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 07-06-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 86-89 BOSE Head Unit and Speaker Rebuild Guide with AUX Input

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: