Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Check/Review on C6 Head Unit Replacement Parts List Before Purchase Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 04:32 PM
pgtr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Need Check/Review on C6 Head Unit Replacement Parts List Before Purchase Please

2010 C6 Coupe w/ Bose/Nav option currently installed. I’ve read thru some of the FAQ and and based on what I've learned on the forum - here’s what I’m going with - however there’s a couple question I could use some suggestions… (and if I overlooked something too...)

• Kenwood Excelon DMX706S (multimedia) or DDX6906S (dvd) Receiver
  • PAC RP5-GM11 Wiring Interface
  • Metra 95-3304 Dash Kit
  • Crutchfield ‘ready harness’
  • SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner
  • * Satellite antenna cable(s) * (see question 1)
  • ** Backup & Front Parking Cameras ** (see question 2)

* Question 1: I believe there are two(2) OEM antenna wires in the RR fender interior. I cannot find a simple clean satellite antenna ‘Y’ cable that would easily accept the dual factory cables and run up (under sill panel, dash…) to the center stack where the SAT receiver has a single input. Can someone recommend a particular cable or cables that would work well in this 2 to 1 'Y' application?

** Question 2: I’d appreciate any recommendations on couple backup cameras - one for the rear above the license plate and one for the front probably to be mounted somewhere in the grill area for parking. There’s just an overwhelming # of options so thought I’d ask for recommendations first. Just something that works and comes with an adequately long cable.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2019, 06:27 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

Buy a Sony
Old 07-08-2019, 11:00 AM
mfi2000
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

No new speakers? The Bose speakers are not very good and replacing them is pretty easy.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:18 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,167 Posts

For an answer to your first question, I did a write up on the cables needed for using the stock xm antenna with the SXV 300 tuner. Most have just connected to the stock yellow antenna connector but my write up discusses the possibility of using a Y cable to connect to both in your case the (green - terrestrial antenna and yellow - satellite antenna) connectors, I've connected the Y adapter to mine however due to my location I'm unable to verify whether or not it would work for sure. Here's the write up I did if you're interested in trying it, if you do please let me know the results. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-xm-tuner.html

Last edited by madsonp; 07-08-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:59 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh, and as far as your shopping list goes, everything looks good. Concerning your question on the backup cameras, I personally installed a Pioneer head unit in mine, and I went with the Pioneer cameras also, I wanted a high quality set of cameras with good low light ratings in mine, however, others have bought cheap ones, and appear to be satisfied with them. I have both the front and rears on mine, the front I mounted to the base of my license plate mount (front plates are required here) and the rear I mounted above the license plate, both work real well.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:06 PM
pgtr
Racer

Thanks all!

madsonp - your write-up is PERFECT! After reading your write-up - I now understand that the 2nd antenna is actually a terrestrial antenna. A very cursory search it was not clear to me that the current/newer aftermarket SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner actually has the capability to receive dual signals and switch between them seamlessly...? At any rate - I think I'll just stick with the standard satellite cable and leave it at that. I'm in a very rural location too. I mostly use XM during free trials and maybe would consider it if doing a lot of long distance travelling. Including XM was really more of a "while I'm in there I'll at least give myself the option..." kind of thing. Thank you again for referencing me to your write-up and reviewing my shopping list!

Sony - I'll take a look (and maybe Pioneer etc.)

Speakers - Maybe later. I'm not all that discriminating these days, factory system is 'good enough' for me in this regard. But I really want better phone integration, Android Auto and camera(s). I can look at replacement speakers later I figure.

Thanks again all!
Old 07-10-2019, 11:03 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pgtr
Thanks all!

madsonp - your write-up is PERFECT! After reading your write-up - I now understand that the 2nd antenna is actually a terrestrial antenna. A very cursory search it was not clear to me that the current/newer aftermarket SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner actually has the capability to receive dual signals and switch between them seamlessly...? At any rate - I think I'll just stick with the standard satellite cable and leave it at that. I'm in a very rural location too. I mostly use XM during free trials and maybe would consider it if doing a lot of long distance travelling. Including XM was really more of a "while I'm in there I'll at least give myself the option..." kind of thing. Thank you again for referencing me to your write-up and reviewing my shopping list!

Sony - I'll take a look (and maybe Pioneer etc.)

Speakers - Maybe later. I'm not all that discriminating these days, factory system is 'good enough' for me in this regard. But I really want better phone integration, Android Auto and camera(s). I can look at replacement speakers later I figure.

Thanks again all!
I would think the SXV300 would be able to pick up both signals, but I can't verify it, as I'm about as far away from a big city as you can get (and I prefer it that way) I hooked the splitter cable to mine anyway just for the hell of it, and I haven't noticed any issues by doing so. I'm still waiting for someone who lives in a big city to give my splitter idea a try to see if it works, I figured there'd of been someone by now, guess I'll keep waiting. Something else I'm looking at doing is making an adapter cable so I can also use the stock GPS antenna with my Pioneer system, I'm just waiting on parts. As far as systems, I personally recommend Pioneer, I've been buying Pioneer systems for many years and have never had a problem with any of them, the only reason I've replaced them was to keep up with technology.

Last edited by madsonp; 07-11-2019 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-01-2019, 09:51 PM
pgtr
Racer

Alpine iLX-W650 is installed along w/ SXV300 (stock antenna) and a pair of cameras (1 front, 1 rear), included Alpine microphone, and an aftermarket USB extension cable fitted to the (former) power supply port in the center console. Also all the steering wheel controls (save the 1-6 button) are working OK. It's in, neat and clean looking.

I went w/ the Alpine because I just wanted a simple HU w/ OEM like buttons/features, Android Auto, no-DVD, and w/ 2 cameras with an easy way to access the front camera (for parking). The Alpine did all this and as a bonus was cheaper than the other brands/models I was considering. I would have gone w/ the basic Sony model w/ a physical volume button (which I prefer) but those Sony's don't have but a single camera interface. No interest in CDs/DVDs.

There were a few issues - mostly w/ the Alpine (not) connecting to my Android phone. I ultimately cleared that up by A) deleting a bunch of extra contacts I didn't need, B) scrubbing contacts w/ too many 'notes' in their notes fields and special characters, C) turning on USB 'Debug mode' on the phone D) defaulting USB connecting to 'PTP', and finally E) replacing the (faulty?) Alpine USB cable w/ any old USB extension cable. In this day and age - connecting up to Android Auto should NOT be this painful! In order to get both bluetooth and Android Auto properly working had to puzzle thru all that - VERY time consuming.

Running the cables/power for the cameras was somewhat tedious as well but they are in and functioning.

Finally - I did run a 'Y' cable to use both the terrestrial and satellite antennas for the SXV300. It DID make a difference. See below.

Thanks all - particularly madson!

madsonp: I sprung an extra $8 or $10 or so for a 'Y' cable. I connected BOTH the terrestrial and satellite antennas to the new satellite receiver. Using just their unpaid barker channel and switching back and forth between the Y cable with both antennas hooked up, just the satellite antenna hooked up and just the included magnetic mount antenna hooked up I could tell a pronounced difference. This was INSIDE my 2-car Shop/GA w/ door closed. When I had the terrestrial antenna up - I received the barker channel about 90% of the time and 10% it clipped out. When I tried it w/o the terrestrial antenna hooked up - it was almost opposite - mostly silent with occasional intermittents clips of audio from the free barker channel. So there ya go - it makes a difference. Really it doesn't matter to me as I'm largely in the open but since I had things out I went ahead and bought/installed the Y cable splitter/combiner. In the old days w/ the OEM unit - it performed pretty much the same as I pulled in the GA. There is one spot on the way to work (using old OEM unit) where I dip below grade (kinda underground but not a tunnel - open overhead) where there are a couple of overpasses and it could clip out for a few seconds. I expect same performance out of new unit when I try it on the commute. Hope that helps clear up your questions.

Originally Posted by madsonp
I would think the SXV300 would be able to pick up both signals, but I can't verify it, as I'm about as far away from a big city as you can get (and I prefer it that way) I hooked the splitter cable to mine anyway just for the hell of it, and I haven't noticed any issues by doing so. I'm still waiting for someone who lives in a big city to give my splitter idea a try to see if it works, I figured there'd of been someone by now, guess I'll keep waiting.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:42 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pgtr
Alpine iLX-W650 is installed along w/ SXV300 (stock antenna) and a pair of cameras (1 front, 1 rear), included Alpine microphone, and an aftermarket USB extension cable fitted to the (former) power supply port in the center console. Also all the steering wheel controls (save the 1-6 button) are working OK. It's in, neat and clean looking.

I went w/ the Alpine because I just wanted a simple HU w/ OEM like buttons/features, Android Auto, no-DVD, and w/ 2 cameras with an easy way to access the front camera (for parking). The Alpine did all this and as a bonus was cheaper than the other brands/models I was considering. I would have gone w/ the basic Sony model w/ a physical volume button (which I prefer) but those Sony's don't have but a single camera interface. No interest in CDs/DVDs.

There were a few issues - mostly w/ the Alpine (not) connecting to my Android phone. I ultimately cleared that up by A) deleting a bunch of extra contacts I didn't need, B) scrubbing contacts w/ too many 'notes' in their notes fields and special characters, C) turning on USB 'Debug mode' on the phone D) defaulting USB connecting to 'PTP', and finally E) replacing the (faulty?) Alpine USB cable w/ any old USB extension cable. In this day and age - connecting up to Android Auto should NOT be this painful! In order to get both bluetooth and Android Auto properly working had to puzzle thru all that - VERY time consuming.

Running the cables/power for the cameras was somewhat tedious as well but they are in and functioning.

Finally - I did run a 'Y' cable to use both the terrestrial and satellite antennas for the SXV300. It DID make a difference. See below.

Thanks all - particularly madson!

madsonp: I sprung an extra $8 or $10 or so for a 'Y' cable. I connected BOTH the terrestrial and satellite antennas to the new satellite receiver. Using just their unpaid barker channel and switching back and forth between the Y cable with both antennas hooked up, just the satellite antenna hooked up and just the included magnetic mount antenna hooked up I could tell a pronounced difference. This was INSIDE my 2-car Shop/GA w/ door closed. When I had the terrestrial antenna up - I received the barker channel about 90% of the time and 10% it clipped out. When I tried it w/o the terrestrial antenna hooked up - it was almost opposite - mostly silent with occasional intermittents clips of audio from the free barker channel. So there ya go - it makes a difference. Really it doesn't matter to me as I'm largely in the open but since I had things out I went ahead and bought/installed the Y cable splitter/combiner. In the old days w/ the OEM unit - it performed pretty much the same as I pulled in the GA. There is one spot on the way to work (using old OEM unit) where I dip below grade (kinda underground but not a tunnel - open overhead) where there are a couple of overpasses and it could clip out for a few seconds. I expect same performance out of new unit when I try it on the commute. Hope that helps clear up your questions.
Thanks for letting me know about your testing of the Y cable, that's good to hear it made a difference for you, I appreciate the feedback. If you would. could you also post something about your findings with the Y cable in this thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-xm-tuner.html for those who mat not see this one ?

Get notified of new replies

To Need Check/Review on C6 Head Unit Replacement Parts List Before Purchase Please

Quick Reply: Need Check/Review on C6 Head Unit Replacement Parts List Before Purchase Please