Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > General Corvette Topics > Audio/Electronics
Reload this Page >

Need Check/Review on C6 Head Unit Replacement Parts List Before Purchase Please

Notices
Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Need Check/Review on C6 Head Unit Replacement Parts List Before Purchase Please

Old 07-07-2019, 04:32 PM
pgtr
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need Check/Review on C6 Head Unit Replacement Parts List Before Purchase Please

2010 C6 Coupe w/ Bose/Nav option currently installed. I’ve read thru some of the FAQ and and based on what I've learned on the forum - here’s what I’m going with - however there’s a couple question I could use some suggestions… (and if I overlooked something too...)

• Kenwood Excelon DMX706S (multimedia) or DDX6906S (dvd) Receiver
  • PAC RP5-GM11 Wiring Interface
  • Metra 95-3304 Dash Kit
  • Crutchfield ‘ready harness’
  • SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner
  • * Satellite antenna cable(s) * (see question 1)
  • ** Backup & Front Parking Cameras ** (see question 2)

* Question 1: I believe there are two(2) OEM antenna wires in the RR fender interior. I cannot find a simple clean satellite antenna ‘Y’ cable that would easily accept the dual factory cables and run up (under sill panel, dash…) to the center stack where the SAT receiver has a single input. Can someone recommend a particular cable or cables that would work well in this 2 to 1 'Y' application?

** Question 2: I’d appreciate any recommendations on couple backup cameras - one for the rear above the license plate and one for the front probably to be mounted somewhere in the grill area for parking. There’s just an overwhelming # of options so thought I’d ask for recommendations first. Just something that works and comes with an adequately long cable.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2019, 06:27 PM
Sunset-C6
CF Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Buy a Sony
Old 07-08-2019, 11:00 AM
mfi2000
CF Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

No new speakers? The Bose speakers are not very good and replacing them is pretty easy.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:18 PM
madsonp
CF Senior Member

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

For an answer to your first question, I did a write up on the cables needed for using the stock xm antenna with the SXV 300 tuner. Most have just connected to the stock yellow antenna connector but my write up discusses the possibility of using a Y cable to connect to both in your case the (green - terrestrial antenna and yellow - satellite antenna) connectors, I've connected the Y adapter to mine however due to my location I'm unable to verify whether or not it would work for sure. Here's the write up I did if you're interested in trying it, if you do please let me know the results. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-xm-tuner.html

Last edited by madsonp; 07-08-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:59 PM
madsonp
CF Senior Member

Oh, and as far as your shopping list goes, everything looks good. Concerning your question on the backup cameras, I personally installed a Pioneer head unit in mine, and I went with the Pioneer cameras also, I wanted a high quality set of cameras with good low light ratings in mine, however, others have bought cheap ones, and appear to be satisfied with them. I have both the front and rears on mine, the front I mounted to the base of my license plate mount (front plates are required here) and the rear I mounted above the license plate, both work real well.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:06 PM
pgtr
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all!

madsonp - your write-up is PERFECT! After reading your write-up - I now understand that the 2nd antenna is actually a terrestrial antenna. A very cursory search it was not clear to me that the current/newer aftermarket SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner actually has the capability to receive dual signals and switch between them seamlessly...? At any rate - I think I'll just stick with the standard satellite cable and leave it at that. I'm in a very rural location too. I mostly use XM during free trials and maybe would consider it if doing a lot of long distance travelling. Including XM was really more of a "while I'm in there I'll at least give myself the option..." kind of thing. Thank you again for referencing me to your write-up and reviewing my shopping list!

Sony - I'll take a look (and maybe Pioneer etc.)

Speakers - Maybe later. I'm not all that discriminating these days, factory system is 'good enough' for me in this regard. But I really want better phone integration, Android Auto and camera(s). I can look at replacement speakers later I figure.

Thanks again all!
Old 07-10-2019, 11:03 PM
madsonp
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by pgtr View Post
Thanks all!

madsonp - your write-up is PERFECT! After reading your write-up - I now understand that the 2nd antenna is actually a terrestrial antenna. A very cursory search it was not clear to me that the current/newer aftermarket SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner actually has the capability to receive dual signals and switch between them seamlessly...? At any rate - I think I'll just stick with the standard satellite cable and leave it at that. I'm in a very rural location too. I mostly use XM during free trials and maybe would consider it if doing a lot of long distance travelling. Including XM was really more of a "while I'm in there I'll at least give myself the option..." kind of thing. Thank you again for referencing me to your write-up and reviewing my shopping list!

Sony - I'll take a look (and maybe Pioneer etc.)

Speakers - Maybe later. I'm not all that discriminating these days, factory system is 'good enough' for me in this regard. But I really want better phone integration, Android Auto and camera(s). I can look at replacement speakers later I figure.

Thanks again all!
I would think the SXV300 would be able to pick up both signals, but I can't verify it, as I'm about as far away from a big city as you can get (and I prefer it that way) I hooked the splitter cable to mine anyway just for the hell of it, and I haven't noticed any issues by doing so. I'm still waiting for someone who lives in a big city to give my splitter idea a try to see if it works, I figured there'd of been someone by now, guess I'll keep waiting. Something else I'm looking at doing is making an adapter cable so I can also use the stock GPS antenna with my Pioneer system, I'm just waiting on parts. As far as systems, I personally recommend Pioneer, I've been buying Pioneer systems for many years and have never had a problem with any of them, the only reason I've replaced them was to keep up with technology.

Last edited by madsonp; 07-11-2019 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Check/Review on C6 Head Unit Replacement Parts List Before Purchase Please

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: