Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Help with Twiddlers going out

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 12:31 AM
Spacewalker
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Help with Twiddlers going out

I have a DNX572BH kenwood unit, hooked to GM0S-04 interface.
Randomly, sometimes 30 seconds, sometimes 2-3 minutes, the twiddlers in the front will quit, everything else continues to work.
turning the radio or car off and on resets it to working status. Other than that issue, everything works great, minus a few missing beeps here and there which I can live with.

1) I've tried replacing the 3.5 speakers, first with polks I had on a shelf then with brand new kickers.
2) after much soul-searching, I decided to tear into the dash and see what was up. Moving the potentiometer on the GMOS-04 box when the twiddlers quit cause them to return. They eventually quit again.

I don't know if my issue is with the interface box or the bose amp. Car has 90k miles, previous owner did the install (or had it done, looks professional)
I could spend $90 on a PAC RP5 GM11, but if Im spending $100, I may as well spend $150 and get a 5 channel skar amp to wire around it all....

Any ideas on where to go from here?
Old 07-12-2019, 07:29 AM
mfi2000
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

I just hooked all this up and my next step will be to build a conventional system with an amp wired directly to the speakers and avoid the whole integration thing. If your good with hooking up an amp, changing the front speakers to component..get rid of the bose woofers and getting a sub..I think you'll be much happier. It will cost more than the price of the amp though...RCA cables, speaker cables, power cables, new speakers for the front. The 3.5's will not be enough. Something for the rear. Sub or new speakers or both.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:34 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

My guess is it's most likely something with the interface. A short or bad connection. I had something similar happen when I was doing my install. Some speakers were cutting out. I replaced the Pac RP5-GM11 with another one and no issues. Luckily I noticed it during testing before I reinstalled everything.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:23 PM
jdagsxr
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What's a twiddler? Tweeter?
Old 07-16-2019, 01:15 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by jdagsxr
What's a twiddler? Tweeter?
It's the name given to the 3.5" Bose speakers. It's not really a tweeter. It's kind of half way between a tweeter and a middle range speaker....AKA a "twiddler".
Old 07-16-2019, 01:17 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

never heard of a twiddler....but OK
Old 07-17-2019, 10:32 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Twiddler is easier than saying "not a tweeter, but that small speaker there."
Old 07-17-2019, 10:33 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
My guess is it's most likely something with the interface. A short or bad connection. I had something similar happen when I was doing my install. Some speakers were cutting out. I replaced the Pac RP5-GM11 with another one and no issues. Luckily I noticed it during testing before I reinstalled everything.
Torch said it best. Do this.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:49 PM
Spacewalker
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for all the help. I picked up the twiddler term here. I suspect it is an amalgamation of tweeter and mid. Didn’t realize it would be controversial. Some people are bored I guess.

I ended up using a kicker 300.1 amp I had around, buying 12” skar sub, and running wiring front speakers direct from head unit. I left door sub and rears hooked to stock Bose amp through interface. I bought a new GMOS-04 (didn’t feel like re-wiring harness) and it was no help so it’s not inteface. Not head unit as speakers work fine wired direct. Guess it’s bose amp or the wiring (although I verified it looks correct per schematic with gmos-04.

I may wire up the rears direct direct as well and keep the Bose amped door subs and center (for chimes).

Ive already ran RCAs for F and R channel Just in case I decide later to get a 5 channel amp. Did a front and rear camera as well.

Last edited by Spacewalker; 07-19-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Twiddlers going out

Quick Reply: Help with Twiddlers going out