Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radio Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 08:56 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Radio Switch

I need some help with this:
I recently bought a used but like new unit from a forum member just for a back up in case my present unit broke I wanted the same unit to keep the originality. This is for my 2006 with the 3LT option 6cd non navigation Bose the 2nd one is also a 6cd non navigation model from a 2007.3LT Will this work without the need for a visit to the Dealer to get matched? I was told by the seller it since it was never locked it would not be needed to go to the dealer for reconnect.
I never planed to install this unit until it was needed so I have not taken the dash apart to try it.
Can this just be installed without reprograming?

Thanks, Barrier

Last edited by Barrier; 04-23-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:08 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

This comes up a lot but mostly with the navigation head unit, so it most likely applies to the standard head unit radio also but I can't say for sure. With the nav unit, it is an anti-theft feature that is built into the head unit. If you take the factory head unit out of one car and try to install it in a different car, it will work until you turn on the car. When you turn on the car, it checks to see if this is the proper head unit associated with this vehicle. If not, the head unit locks and becomes inoperable. At that point, you need someone with a Tech II tool to unlock the head unit and do a vin re-learn procedure for the head unit, which will basically marry the head unit to that specific car.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:40 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

All C6 factory radios will need the VIN relearn process.
If you go aftermarket this is not an issue.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Radio Switch

Quick Reply: Radio Switch