Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CD Changer that works with Factory Radio-C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 12:14 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CD Changer that works with Factory Radio-C5

Hi,

This post is about a 1999 C5

I think most of you know by now that I have been going crazy trying to fix my issue with the factory CD changer not playing CDR's. Well I have given up on that. I have looked at OEM changers that supposedly play CDR's and its like 300 dollars for that. What I am looking for now is an aftermarket changer that will work using the factory radio controls. I know there are some adapters for some changers that will let that happen. Here is my list of Ideals although I don't need all of them.

12 disk changer
able to mount using the stock brackets.
MP3 playing capability.

I don't really care if the changer is discontinued or whatever as that will probably make the price even cheaper as long as I can buy it. I'm asking here as I've been out of the stereo installing business for about 7 years and have no idea what is available anymore. If anyone has one they want to sell or wants to trade for some nice aftermarket speakers or amp's, we can work on that too.

Thanks in advance.

Rob
Old 08-12-2004, 06:17 PM
DocToss
Pro

Look up the gmasx adapter and the cd changers that connect with it. You will also need the gmh20t adapter for corvettes. I have this setup and it works fine. I don't use my alpine cd changer as much as I use the aux inputs with my xm radio.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:52 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Where does this adapter plug in? Does it plug in to the cd changer cable in rear? This will let me control the cd changer with the factory radio?

Originally Posted by DocToss
Look up the gmasx adapter and the cd changers that connect with it. You will also need the gmh20t adapter for corvettes. I have this setup and it works fine. I don't use my alpine cd changer as much as I use the aux inputs with my xm radio.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:23 PM
DocToss
Pro

The gmh20t connects to the 10 pin plug on the back of the HU, converting it to a 9 pin plug. The gmasx then has an aux input and a plug for a cd changer. You do not need the oem harness. The cd changer is then controlled with the HU just like the original cd changer.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:09 AM
robl45
Melting Slicks

I already have the factory cable though. Don't want to run a new cable. It seems their is an adapter for the gmasx that is for cars with the factory changer cable. Can I use that one? Also are there any changers that work with this adapter that will read mp3's?
Old 08-13-2004, 07:17 AM
DocToss
Pro

Now that I don't know, sorry.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:57 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I'd suggest ditching the CD changer altogether and go with a hard-drive based MP3 player.

20 gbyte HD; instant song access; direct connects to head unit with PIE GM-AUX10 adapter connected to the end of your existing factory CD changer harness.

Only drawback is the remote display control head.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:10 AM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Right but if I really wanted MP3 capability, I can go with the kenwood mp3 cd changer that lets me play regular cd's or mp3's and works with the factory radio. Problem is its like 400 dollars or more when accounting for the changer, adapter, and shipping. Of course this device you are talking about below isn't much cheaper.

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
I'd suggest ditching the CD changer altogether and go with a hard-drive based MP3 player.

20 gbyte HD; instant song access; direct connects to head unit with PIE GM-AUX10 adapter connected to the end of your existing factory CD changer harness.

Only drawback is the remote display control head.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

My brief experience with a MP3 CD changer... the pause at the beginning (to read the discs directory), along with the pause when going from one disk to another is painfully slow.

I myself took all my audio CD's and converted them to MP3 and loaded them to my MP3 hard-drive based jukebox. Of course, I only converted the songs that I like
No need for the CD's anymore. No time wasted trying to author a burned audio CD or MP3 CD.

The flexibility of these MP3 hard-drive units is phenonimal... but I understand they might not be for everyone.

Someone else on this forum used the Kenwood counterpart; I think it's called the Kenwood Music Keg ???

Get notified of new replies

To CD Changer that works with Factory Radio-C5

Quick Reply: CD Changer that works with Factory Radio-C5