Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 - new speakers and amp

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Kays C6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 - new speakers and amp

I did it. I had my speakers and amp replaced. The local audio store installed an Alpine MRP-F240 4 channel amp behind the passenger seat, 6.5 inch woofers/1 inch titanium tweeters in the front doors (MQ Quart Premium PCE 216), and 5.25 inch woofers/0.8 inch titanium tweeters in the rear (MB Quart Reference RCE 213). I had them leave the front dash speaker alone for now. Since they had to run the wires near an enormous wire bundle, they used a Monster RCA cable for extra shielding. Also got full dynamat on the doors and the area around the rear speakers. It sounds great! They did an awesome job. I didn't include pictures of what they look like afterwards because they used the factory covers. Still thinking about adding a small sub somewhere in the back. They took pictures for me during the install and I've posted them to a website. I hope you guys can open this link. I apoligize that the pics aren't in order - I couldn't figure out how get them in sequential order. I hope these pictures are helpful to anyone else considering this upgrade. Cost (including labor) about $1200. I know it was kind of expensive, but I could not have done this on my own.

Link to pics:

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/5713

Kay
Old 11-14-2004, 09:29 PM
2005_C6
Advanced

Kay,

Nice pictures. I agree with you, would not want to try ripping into those doors myself. The front speaker should be easy to do, if you decide on replacing it. There's another thread I recently read where someone replaced his front speaker in a few minutes himself and described the ease of it all. Enjoy your ride and sounds.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:44 PM
James Shearer
Racer

Very nice. (heck with your post I just learned there was an audio section!!) That original 10 looks kinda weird. I've used MB qts in the past-not cheap, but worth it. It seems you will certainly need a sub-probalby an 8 in a box would do the trick. I'm sure the mids and highs are excellent. Posts like this could end up costing me-I'm getting the car audio bug again. (Messing with the integrated electronics scares me) James
Old 11-15-2004, 05:34 AM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

Thanks for the pics. I will be doing my own system once my C6 gets here. I pretty much expected what I saw in your pics, however, they are very helpful in knowing what kind of space I will have to work with and what type of baffles I will need to fabricate for my components. I appreciate you taking the effort to show us. I'm sure your system sounds great.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Snake11eyeS
Racer

Nice job Kay. Looks good. Was wondering if you could break it down as to what the total parts cost and then the labor. I'm ready to change my system but I need a HU and sub too. If the labor was alot I will try to do the install myself. Thanks Bill
Old 11-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Kays C6
Instructor

I'd have to hunt for the receipt for exact numbers, but I think labor was around $230 and the speakers, amp, cables and dynamat, etc was about $1000. It took them 2 1/2 days. It sounds great. I think I still may want to add a small sub somewhere in the back.
Kay
Old 11-17-2004, 10:16 AM
leolufse
Melting Slicks

Wow, that stock speaker cut out is huge. From the pics it looks possible to get an 8" IB sub and 5.25" components with a bit of fabrication. Good job
Old 11-13-2012, 04:41 PM
virtualdentist
Intermediate

Default aftermarket nav/dvd/cd/radio etc..

started this new thread with trepedation so be patient with me, sorta new on here....

I don't know the name of the unit I purchased for my c6 (at our weekend home) but it was not a very expensive unit from china, but decided on a whim I would give it a go. I got the PAC splice kit today and should work good with the trigger and RCA outs for my sub amp I am installing behind the driver seat. Question: Is there anything going to the stock HU that I have to consider that interacts with the HUD? I have onstar and like the HUD display with ONstar and FM radio frequencies and channel selections... Dont' know how this information gets to the HUD but sure curious if I am going to lose this feature when I replace the HU.

Yes, i grew up poor and have to learn the lesson many times about buying something for 20% of the cost to do the job. This unit I speak of has camera out, nav, TV, everything you can imagine....

If somebody could help with with a thread I would be very pleased.

thank you in advance.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:22 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

You will lose HUD interaction with new radio.

This thread shows >90% of what you need to know for the install. Orange HU dimmer wire needs to be connected to grey/black wire at the TC/AH button on armrest. If you have steering wheel button adapter connect +12v to purple wire at pin A6 of big C1 radio plug, and connect SWI input wire to dark blue wire at pin A7.

OEM radio prints are here

Get notified of new replies

To C6 - new speakers and amp

Quick Reply: C6 - new speakers and amp