Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

Ikea display case?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:44 AM
yosshimura
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Ikea display case?

I saw a display case in Ikea the other day and I thought it would be good for my 1:18 cars... Does any one here use a display case from Ikea? Any pics?

tks
Old 12-22-2009, 06:19 PM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm not using any of their glass cabinet, but build my own using their bookcases. Started with a plain bookcase from the Billy series, added the glass doors and glass shelves. Then put up 2 plain mirrors from Home Depot in the back and put in LED lights from kitchen cabinets, just stick on, and added a rubber seal around the doors to keep dust out. Adds up to about $300, but I have 10 shelves of approx. 40 in wide and 12 in deep...
Old 12-23-2009, 02:16 AM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by CandyRed77
I'm not using any of their glass cabinet, but build my own using their bookcases. Started with a plain bookcase from the Billy series, added the glass doors and glass shelves. Then put up 2 plain mirrors from Home Depot in the back and put in LED lights from kitchen cabinets, just stick on, and added a rubber seal around the doors to keep dust out. Adds up to about $300, but I have 10 shelves of approx. 40 in wide and 12 in deep...
Got any pics? Sounds like what I need. I've been looking at those tall skinny glass cases at IKEA for something like $60 and they are good value, if you care to figure out how many models you can get as compared to what you might pay for individual plastic cases.

The only problem I have is the gap between the opening door and the sides. I hate gaps. The gaps look too large to fill in with weather stripping and using strips of clear tape doesn't look good, but I don't like the idea of putting a $300 model in any case that's going to allow even the slightest amount of dust to intrude.

It sounds like you bought the bookcase I've also been considering. If so, the 3 solid sides would not seem the ideal case to show off the models. I like the idea of the glass shelves though. And the mirrors.

Would appreciate photos to see what you've done. Thanks
Old 12-23-2009, 04:24 AM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't have any pics handy and I won't be home until mid Jan. I'll take a few when I'm back and post them.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:13 PM
JScott
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I bought these cases at IKEA a while ago and they work great but dont seal up air tight. I haven't had any dust problems with them but my man cave in the basement doesn't have much dust.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:11 PM
yosshimura
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice pics! THanks... gives me some motivation to go to Ikea this coming wknd, lol... Those are similar (the tall ones) to the ones I saw at Ikea which were wood color... There was a big difference between the ones with lights on top and the ones with no lights... I might just go with the ones with no lights..

Looks great again, tks...
Old 12-27-2009, 04:24 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Scott;

Very nice display, nice pics.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:30 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

one of my favorite diecast displays! very clean and uncluttered!

I also like the ikea cases....too bad im out of floor real estate....

Originally Posted by JScott
I bought these cases at IKEA a while ago and they work great but dont seal up air tight. I haven't had any dust problems with them but my man cave in the basement doesn't have much dust.

Get notified of new replies

To Ikea display case?