Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

Zora vettes go for big bucks!!

Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 PM
nitemaher
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zora vettes go for big bucks!!

I just watched most of the auction of a complete set of Zora vettes on the big site and I cant believe that an 84 went for 687.00 and the 85 for 355 WOW !! Nice to know that my set is worth some big$$ . Someday when Im gone maybe they will be worth twice that and my Daughter will be able to profit from them. Oh I have a 1960 still in box unwrapped if anyones intrested. Mike
Old 12-20-2011, 10:23 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a few valuable ones in the collection. Some of the common ones seem to go for about $10.00 to $15.00, others are in the $45.00 to $50.00 range. For some reason ones like 64, 73 and 78 pace, seem to go for as much as $200.00. I have yet to see ones in the price range that you have mentioned, but then again, I haven't been looking recently. Interesting.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:10 PM
7Vette
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The '84 and '85 have always fetched several Benjamins. I believe they made fewer of them for some reason.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:11 AM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by 7Vette
The '84 and '85 have always fetched several Benjamins. I believe they made fewer of them for some reason.
I was told that Zora authorized the 84 and 85s, but GM did not...so there were very few that got out into the hands of collectors, and GM destroyed the rest.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 AM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 96LT4
I was told that Zora authorized the 84 and 85s, but GM did not...so there were very few that got out into the hands of collectors, and GM destroyed the rest.
They did not have the General's permission
Old 01-02-2012, 01:44 AM
jetske
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok so I'll throw my two cents worth into this... I have a full 40th Anniversary Action Zora set #473. My fiancee (now wife) Nancy and I stopped into the National Corvette Museum in the mid 1990's during a trip and saw the set. We were just getting started in collecting Corvette stuff and this Zora set was awesome. It was the first time in my life I paid $1,000 for any collectible (that's the original cost of the full set, all at once, which was the only way you could get a numbered set, the display stand, display cards, and bonus Zora pewter car...if you ordered one early enough, which we did).

Here is a link to my Action Zora Corvette Set on JetsVettes:
http://www.jetsvettes.com/collection...n_Corvette.htm

The '84 and '85 Zora models more expensive? The '84 Zora is always more expensive than the '85, and the '85 is often lumped in with the '84 in terms of commanding price, but the '84 wins every time...

Why is the '84 way more expensive? I think it's a simple matter of supply and demand. GM did not make an '83 Corvette, instead, they made 51,000+ 1984 Corvettes to make up for both the '83 and '84 model year. Action did not make fewer '84 and '85 models, it's my understanding they made the same of each model year.

Action had full GM authorization to make this set. This is not a case of failure to secure licensing rights. (That scenario has happened in the past, for example the Mid America Designs 1986 Corvette Pace Car...they did not have licensing approval from Indy and pulled the car mid-production).

Action offered the full sets of Zora models as well as individual models (you could buy individual models or a subscription of 1 model at a time...). Simply put, more people owned '84 Corvettes, in the mid '90s, and bought this particular year of Zora car. That's why, IMHO, I think the '84s and '85s command more money...
Old 01-02-2012, 02:20 AM
7Vette
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jetske
Ok so I'll throw my two cents worth into this... I have a full 40th Anniversary Action Zora set #473. My fiancee (now wife) Nancy and I stopped into the National Corvette Museum in the mid 1990's during a trip and saw the set. We were just getting started in collecting Corvette stuff and this Zora set was awesome. It was the first time in my life I paid $1,000 for any collectible (that's the original cost of the full set, all at once, which was the only way you could get a numbered set, the display stand, display cards, and bonus Zora pewter car...if you ordered one early enough, which we did).

Here is a link to my Action Zora Corvette Set on JetsVettes:
http://www.jetsvettes.com/collection...n_Corvette.htm

The '84 and '85 Zora models more expensive? The '84 Zora is always more expensive than the '85, and the '85 is often lumped in with the '84 in terms of commanding price, but the '84 wins every time...

Why is the '84 way more expensive? I think it's a simple matter of supply and demand. GM did not make an '83 Corvette, instead, they made 51,000+ 1984 Corvettes to make up for both the '83 and '84 model year. Action did not make fewer '84 and '85 models, it's my understanding they made the same of each model year.

Action had full GM authorization to make this set. This is not a case of failure to secure licensing rights. (That scenario has happened in the past, for example the Mid America Designs 1986 Corvette Pace Car...they did not have licensing approval from Indy and pulled the car mid-production).

Action offered the full sets of Zora models as well as individual models (you could buy individual models or a subscription of 1 model at a time...). Simply put, more people owned '84 Corvettes, in the mid '90s, and bought this particular year of Zora car. That's why, IMHO, I think the '84s and '85s command more money...
Thanks Bruce, that makes more sense than a licensing issue. It would be odd for GM to approve all the other years and not the '84 and '85, so that never really seemed like a logical reason.

Get notified of new replies

To Zora vettes go for big bucks!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zora vettes go for big bucks!!