Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

Recommendations on books

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 05:32 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Recommendations on books

As a collector or books - mostly O/P - I come across a lot of Corvette books for sale. Some I pick up at estate sales, the remainder-sales at book stores and sometimes at swap meets.

So many of these are little more than just picture books with little history or authoritative text. Few seem to be worth the money. Some, like Karl Ludvigsen's "Star Spangled Sports Car" issued by Automobile Quarterly are well done and full of valuable history. I did recently pick up a copy of Duntov's biography (?) but have yet to read it.

As a forum member, I thought I might simply ask other members for their opinions. The picture books and even the so-called "Coffee Table" books are fine for the price, but if you had, say, to have only one book (or two, maybe) on the subject of Corvettes, what would you choose?

Old 01-29-2017, 12:11 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

If I had to limit it to one or two, it would have to be Nolan Adams' two books, Corvette Restoration and Technical Guide Volume 1 and Volume 2.

There are some other great books too. Ludvigsen's Star Spangled Sports Car for sure.

Automobile Quarterly did two other books I really like, "Corvette - A Piece of the Action", and "The Best of Corvette News". A Piece of the Action is a coffee table picture book, but I like it because a lot of the pictures are period ones, and there are some great old racing pictures included. Best of Corvette News is just that, a compilation of articles from the old Chevrolet Corvette owner magazine, Corvette News.

The 1980 book, "Corvette! Sports Car of America" is a real nice look at Corvettes, including history, racing, advertising & promotional materials and Corvette personalities.

As a big fan of anything Corvette Racing, I also like Lowell Paddock and Dave Friedman's book on the 63 Grand Sports, "Corvette Grand Sport Photographic Race Log of the Magnificent Chevrolet Corvette Factory Specials 1962-1967". Gregory Van Dare's book "Corvette Racers" with more of Dave Friedman's photography, and Michael Antonick's "California Screamin' The Glory Days of Corvette Road Racing".

Ray Miller's long out of print, "The Real Corvette", is an excellent source of original GM pictures.

Okay, so I went a little over the 1 or 2 books, but it's really hard to narrow it down, since there have been so many great books written about Corvettes.
The following users liked this post:
last901 (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 04:24 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gbvette62
If I had to limit it to one or two, it would have to be Nolan Adams' two books, Corvette Restoration and Technical Guide Volume 1 and Volume 2.

There are some other great books too. Ludvigsen's Star Spangled Sports Car for sure.

Automobile Quarterly did two other books I really like, "Corvette - A Piece of the Action", and "The Best of Corvette News". A Piece of the Action is a coffee table picture book, but I like it because a lot of the pictures are period ones, and there are some great old racing pictures included. Best of Corvette News is just that, a compilation of articles from the old Chevrolet Corvette owner magazine, Corvette News.

The 1980 book, "Corvette! Sports Car of America" is a real nice look at Corvettes, including history, racing, advertising & promotional materials and Corvette personalities.

As a big fan of anything Corvette Racing, I also like Lowell Paddock and Dave Friedman's book on the 63 Grand Sports, "Corvette Grand Sport Photographic Race Log of the Magnificent Chevrolet Corvette Factory Specials 1962-1967". Gregory Van Dare's book "Corvette Racers" with more of Dave Friedman's photography, and Michael Antonick's "California Screamin' The Glory Days of Corvette Road Racing".

Ray Miller's long out of print, "The Real Corvette", is an excellent source of original GM pictures.

Okay, so I went a little over the 1 or 2 books, but it's really hard to narrow it down, since there have been so many great books written about Corvettes.
That's a really good list. I have several of those books and agree with your recommendations.

This is helpful... thanks
Old 01-30-2017, 05:32 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

My favorite . . .

"The Chevrolet Corvette", Daniel Holt, issued by SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) in 2005. It's a collection of approx 30 SAE technical papers, going all the way back to 1954 (Maurice Olley paper) up to and including several technical papers on the then new C6 Z06.

For the technically inclined, it's a fascinating look into what Corvette engineers were working on, over the history of the Corvette.

Last edited by acrace; 01-30-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:58 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by acrace
My favorite . . .

"The Chevrolet Corvette", Daniel Holt, issued by SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) in 2005. It's a collection of approx 30 SAE technical papers, going all the way back to 1954 (Maurice Olley paper) up to and including several technical papers on the then new C6 Z06.

For the technically inclined, it's a fascinating look into what Corvette engineers were working on, over the history of the Corvette.
Great suggestion! I didn't even think about the SAE. Might have to check this one out myself.

Thank you!
Old 01-30-2017, 06:12 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

A word of warning. No good photography. It's black and white. The historical papers look like photocopy quality. But I found the information really fascinating.

A few highlights. A paper from E.J. Primo on the body construction, from 1954. It's like 30 plus pages. The paper from 1963 introducing the '63 Corvette . . . a must read for mid-year fans. Several papers regarding the F.I. system written by Dolza and Zora.

You'd have to get the book from SAE through their website. I paid $130 when it first came out. I recall it being on sale for $50 a few years ago and I think it's about $100 now (just convinced a buddy to get it).

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations on books

Quick Reply: Recommendations on books