Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

Early Corvette News Magazine / Corvette Club History Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 11:21 AM
DANZ06
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Early Corvette News Magazine / Corvette Club History Question

Corvette News magazine was first published in late 1957. The magazine was free to Corvette owners for many years.

I'm researching an article for the River City Corvette Club's (Chattanooga) newsletter on the history of Corvette Clubs.

My question is for someone owning a collection of Corvette News magazines, which issue was the first to post the Corvette Club Directory? I've got a copy of Vol. III No. 4 and the directory is present. Which earlier issue was the first to post the directory?

Update: I've found that in Corvette News Vol II No. 4 it is called "Corvette Club Corner" and in CN Vol III No.2 it is present as "Corvette Club Directory". Still not certain of first mention in Corvette News.

The oldest Corvette Club is The Corvette Club of America, formed in June of 1956 in the Washington D.C. area.

Attached is a photo of CN magazine Apr/May 1972, featuring the covers of the early years of Corvette News magazines. The magazine started out being published four times a year, then changed to bi-monthly issues before becoming a paid subscription magazine before finally ending Chevrolet sponsored publication.

Corvette Quarterly Magazine superseded Corvette News in 1988 and was published as a free (for three years) magazine to new Corvette purchasers and also offered on a paid subscription basis. Corvette Quarterly ceased publication in late 2008 or early 2009.

Anyone have a guess at how many different "for profit" Corvette magazines have been published? Not counting the club magazines, Blue Bars, America's Sports Car, etc.

Thanks for any assistance.
-dan smith, Chattanooga

Last edited by DANZ06; 03-06-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:59 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I have Vol. I No. 1, 2, 3 and Vol. II No. 1 and 3.

There is no mention of clubs in Vol I #1, but on the title page of both Vol. I No's 2 and 3, the editors ask members of local clubs to contact the magazine with info on their clubs.

Vol. II No. 1 has 4 clubs listed on the title page of the magazine. There is no heading over the listing, only a short paragraph saying that "Corvette News is always interested in hearing from new Corvette clubs", and an address to right to.

The 4 clubs listed are "The Michigan Corvette Club" (Franklin MI), "Chicago Corvette Club" (Chicago IL), "Corvettes of Massachusetts" (Cambridge MA) and "Queen City Corvette Club" (Cincinnati, OH). It also says that materials are available for those wishing to start a club, by writing to Corvette News.

I can't tell you if there was a club listing in any Vol. 1 issues after No. 3, but obviously by Vol. II No. 1, they had started the club listing.

Last edited by gbvette62; 03-07-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:27 AM
DANZ06
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62

There is no mention of clubs in Vol I #1, but on the title page of both Vol. I No's 2 and 3, the editors ask members of local clubs to contact the magazine with info on their clubs.

Vol. II No. 1 has 4 clubs listed on the title page of the magazine. There is no heading over the listing, only a short paragraph saying that "Corvette News is always interested in hearing from new Corvette clubs", and an address to right to.

The 4 clubs listed are "The Michigan Corvette Club" (Franklin MI), "Chicago Corvette Club" (Chicago IL), "Corvettes of Massachusetts" (Cambridge MA) and "Queen City Corvette Club" (Cincinnati, OH). It also says that materials are available for those wishing to start a club, by writing to Corvette News.

I can't tell you if there was a club listing in any Vol. 1 issues after No. 3, but obviously by Vol. II No. 1, they had started the club listing.
Good info, thanks very much.
BTW, noticing your avatar, my first 'Vette was a '62. I've owned two 62s and two 61s. One of the '62s was a fuelie.
Aside from reacquiring our past '63 coupe, I'd like another '62 to accompany our current Z06.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:10 AM
patg84
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62

Old post but worth a shot. Can you upload a picture of Volume 1 number 1's inside page? The page with the index in the front that lists the articles and page numbers? Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Early Corvette News Magazine / Corvette Club History Question

Quick Reply: Early Corvette News Magazine / Corvette Club History Question