Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Classifieds Post your For Sale or Wanted Autocrossing & Roadracing parts here.

FS: '02 Corvette Z06 fully track prepped, only 35K miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 08:36 AM
Chris S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '02 Corvette Z06 fully track prepped, only 35K miles

SOLD!

After thinking about it for a long time, I've finally decided to offer my C5Z for sale. It has only 35,036 miles, and only started getting track time at around 30K miles. I have a clean title, and it has a clean CarFax (exception: I was lightly rear ended on my way to Austin a couple of years ago. I continued w/ my trip unimpeded, w/ the only damage being some scrapes on the lower rear bumper. It was repainted, as there was no other damage). I've owned it a few years now, and estimate I've "invested" well over $40K making it into the awesome track car it is now. I've prepped it w/ the goal of preventing overheating of the engine, tranny, diff, & brakes in Texas summer heat, and not compromising reliability in any way. It's been rock-solid ex. for the tranny (pre-cooler install), which was rebuilt to a much more durable spec.

Interior:
Recaro PP SPG seats
Sparco 5 pt. harnesses
fixed seat brackets (but adjustable)
Brey-Krause harness bar

Under the hood:
drop-in K&N panel filter
Ron Davis alum. radiator w/ integrated engine oil cooler
possibly a hotter cam? Was told it was stock, but it has a healthy (though not too extreme) lope to it.
Nothing else - it has plenty of power, and I don't want to sacrifice reliability in any way
Optima red-top battery, ~12-18 months old

Transmission/Differential:
Tranny totally rebuilt to race-car spec using carbon synchronizers and other high-end parts
alum. flywheel
Monster clutch - ~550 hp capacity IIRC
modified C6Z shifter w/ ~30% shorter throws
LG Motorsports Diff. and Transmission Coolers - really trick parts! Cost around $3200 + installation!

Brakes:
stainless lines
Wilwood front calipers that retain stock rotors for lower running costs. Pads are twice as thick as OEM, last much longer, and rotors can be obtained as low as $125 for all 4 corners.
Doug Rippie Motorsports brake ducts
Motul brake fluid

Suspension/Chassis:
LG Motorsports G2 coilovers - bye bye transverse leaf springs
poly bushings
TPS Motorsports chassis tunnel plate with thermal shielding - stiffens chassis and reduces heat transfer into cabin
tow straps front and rear (never used)

I'm pretty sure I have well over $40K in the car now, and have only added about 5K miles since I bought it. (mostly used for driving to/from/at the track). It performs like a dream on the track, w/ the only real current weakness being that it needs new tires. Asking $29,500, and I'll include the buyer's choice of a new set of NT-01's or NT-05's.

If I sell it, I'll also sell my Civic Si and replace w/ something like a STI, Golf R, or Focus RS (if I can find one w/o ADM) that will function more as a dual purpose DD/family/track car, so I can haul my family to Austin in it and play @ COTA while they hang out w/ my in-laws.

Pic w/ stock seats, which are in great shape and included along w/ other OEM parts like shocks, springs, front calipers, etc.

Last edited by Chris S; 10-25-2016 at 04:40 PM. Reason: SOLD
Old 07-17-2016, 10:38 AM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

DD a STI or similar and using it at the track is not ideal... ask me how I know?

GLWS!
The following users liked this post:
Chris S (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Chris S
Instructor

Originally Posted by jesup16
DD a STI or similar and using it at the track is not ideal... ask me how I know?

GLWS!
How do you know? Did you have thermal management or reliability issues, or crash your DD at the track? I'm not set in my direction, so I'd love to hear about your experience!
Old 07-17-2016, 12:22 PM
jesup16
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris S
How do you know? Did you have thermal management or reliability issues, or crash your DD at the track? I'm not set in my direction, so I'd love to hear about your experience!
I didn't crash the car... I have known people that have crashed their DD at the track. Not a good situation.

I thought the same thing. Sold my autocross/track car, then sold my DD and bought a 2013 Subaru STI. Back in a DD and now a C5 for autocross/track.

I see you're in Texas and I was in FL at the time I did it... so I imagine you'll struggle with the same things. Keep in my I'm an enthusiast HPDE driver... not by any means a fast track driver or instructor level skill set.

1. You're dead on with Thermal Management. It's a challenge to keep a turbo car cool, especially these "boost buggies"... Evo & STi. This doesn't just apply to the turbo. I recommend upgrading the entire cooling system: Intercooler, Radiator, Oil cooling (included baffling), and items to keep the Turbo cool

Also, you'll want to upgrade the brakes. Even though they come with "brembo" OEM pieces, they aren't up to the task that a moderate skilled driver can perform. These are front heavy cars and really stress the front brakes. I'm no where near a fast track driver... I had to run ducts, upgraded rotors, etc just to make the OEM front brakes work.

2. Aerodynamics: These cars (EVO, STI) are awful at speeds 120+. You probably don't want to add aero items to your DD.

3. Alignment changes: Maybe your cool with doing alignments all the time. But McPherson strut setups want lots of static camber up front to be quick at the track. I had -3.5 upfront on my STI at one time... not ideal for street wear.

4. Do you're homework. Subaru's are known for blowing the piston ringlands on 07+ motors... even at stock power levels. EVO X MR tranny's are known for being thermally inefficient.

I don't mean to deter you from your sale. Seems like an awesomely prepped car. I'd just hate to see you be disappointed in the boost buggy platform. They say they are track ready from the factory, but I find that misleading.

I'm glad my experience got me into a corvette, but I spent/wasted a lot of money to get here.

Last edited by jesup16; 07-17-2016 at 12:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chris S (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 02:33 PM
Chris S
Instructor

Thanks for your feedback. I know that if I go through with this, I'll be taking a huge step down in track performance, but I would like to clear one space in the garage, and be able to travel w/ my family to Austin so I can do COTA while they hang out w/ my in-laws (unfortunately, trailering is out of the question since my HOA doesn't allow trailers, and I prefer to keep everything as hassle-free as possible).
Old 07-17-2016, 03:32 PM
jesup16
Racer

Thanks for your feedback. I know that if I go through with this, I'll be taking a huge step down in track performance, but I would like to clear one space in the garage, and be able to travel w/ my family to Austin so I can do COTA while they hang out w/ my in-laws (unfortunately, trailering is out of the question since my HOA doesn't allow trailers, and I prefer to keep everything as hassle-free as possible).
No problem. I wish someone would have told me all this before I went down to 1 car (for myself).

Also, there's the option of the Ford Focus RS. I know 2 people that already have them, but haven't gotten them on track yet. It will be interesting to see how they handle the track conditions. Matt Farrah from smoking tire just got one (Focus RS)... I imagine he'll be posting a track review soon.

Last edited by jesup16; 07-17-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:04 PM
Chris S
Instructor

That's on my list as an outside possibility, if I could get one w/ no ADM, which I refuse to pay
Old 07-17-2016, 05:07 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

An STI or any AWD car is a bad choice on track, they push like tanks. As does the new Focus RS, per Terry Fair at Vorshlag who just track tested one.

Nice car BTW, very nice.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 07-17-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:06 PM
stuiephoto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't crash the car... I have known people that have crashed their DD at the track. Not a good situation.

I thought the same thing. Sold my autocross/track car, then sold my DD and bought a 2013 Subaru STI. Back in a DD and now a C5 for autocross/track.

I see you're in Texas and I was in FL at the time I did it... so I imagine you'll struggle with the same things. Keep in my I'm an enthusiast HPDE driver... not by any means a fast track driver or instructor level skill set.

1. You're dead on with Thermal Management. It's a challenge to keep a turbo car cool, especially these "boost buggies"... Evo & STi. This doesn't just apply to the turbo. I recommend upgrading the entire cooling system: Intercooler, Radiator, Oil cooling (included baffling), and items to keep the Turbo cool

Also, you'll want to upgrade the brakes. Even though they come with "brembo" OEM pieces, they aren't up to the task that a moderate skilled driver can perform. These are front heavy cars and really stress the front brakes. I'm no where near a fast track driver... I had to run ducts, upgraded rotors, etc just to make the OEM front brakes work.

2. Aerodynamics: These cars (EVO, STI) are awful at speeds 120+. You probably don't want to add aero items to your DD.

3. Alignment changes: Maybe your cool with doing alignments all the time. But McPherson strut setups want lots of static camber up front to be quick at the track. I had -3.5 upfront on my STI at one time... not ideal for street wear.

4. Do you're homework. Subaru's are known for blowing the piston ringlands on 07+ motors... even at stock power levels. EVO X MR tranny's are known for being thermally inefficient.

I don't mean to deter you from your sale. Seems like an awesomely prepped car. I'd just hate to see you be disappointed in the boost buggy platform. They say they are track ready from the factory, but I find that misleading.

I'm glad my experience got me into a corvette, but I spent/wasted a lot of money to get here.
Oh god. Im pretty sure you tapped into my head for this reply. Best thing I did was get rid of subaru track cars.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:23 AM
Chris S
Instructor

Shoot, y'all are really derailing my plans! The crazy thing is that almost any possible candidate is turbocharged: STI/WRX, Golf R, Focus RS, M2, etc. I guess I need to look at Mustang GT, Camaro SS, and BRZ, although my son won't be excited about the rear seat of any of them. Then there's the Chevy SS, but that's a bit bigger/heavier than I'd like.

Too bad BMW isn't making any more E46 M3's! It's next to impossible to find one w/ no sunroof and no SMG.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:10 AM
jesup16
Racer

Shoot, y'all are really derailing my plans! The crazy thing is that almost any possible candidate is turbocharged: STI/WRX, Golf R, Focus RS, M2, etc. I guess I need to look at Mustang GT, Camaro SS, and BRZ, although my son won't be excited about the rear seat of any of them. Then there's the Chevy SS, but that's a bit bigger/heavier than I'd like.

Too bad BMW isn't making any more E46 M3's! It's next to impossible to find one w/ no sunroof and no SMG.
I think you'll need to prioritize some items. For me, living up north now, AWD is really nice to have on the DD. However, it's just not a necessity for a track capable car... besides adding doors, its probably one of the biggest items to work around.

1. Do you need AWD? If not, then why introduce it.

2. Do you need 4 doors? Is a "backseat" enough? For me, 4 doors is a DD necessity.

3. Do you want FI? FI is so common nowadays. While it's not ideal for the track, it is something that can be worked on.

4. How nice/modern of a car do you want? E36 or E46 BMW sedans are NA I6 vehicles that can definitely support track duty and have lots of support, but they are both getting old.

My recommendation: E90 M3. It has 4 doors, V8 NA power, 2WD. Boom!! Is it light, not really, but lighter than a SS.

Last edited by jesup16; 07-18-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:14 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Of all the above, I'd go Chevy SS. They can still haul at the track and are a good ride (of course will cost more to track with the extra weight and HP vs the others). All will be a compromise though. I put my track car into the wall at COTA last winter. Glad it was just the track car. Understeer = Safe at COTA. Oversteer = Bad day.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:46 PM
ShawnO
Heel & Toe

Still for sale?
Old 08-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Chris S
Instructor

1. No, I'd prefer rwd, but there aren't many rwd, family-friendly cars that would be fun to track at an affordable price.

2. I don't need 4 doors, but it would be nice. I'm a REALTOR, and may occasionally need to haul more than 1 client around to see properties. (though they meet me there most of the time)

3. I prefer NA, but the options there are thinning out rapidly!

4. I want something nice and modern, b/c I'll also put lots of miles on it as a DD. I'd consider an E46 M3 w/ 3 pedals and no sunroof in good condition, but I'd probably have better luck unicorn hunting. I'd be happy w/ an E36 M3 on track, but their interiors have not held up well at all in the ones I've seen.

Great rec. on the E90 M3. I sold mine not too long after buying my Z06. Loved it when I lived in Austin, but I felt like I was wasting a lot of gas w/ no twisties and unreasonably low speed limits in DFW to justify keeping it. Traded it for a Civic Si, and invested the cash, which has paid off well financially. The Civic Si meets my needs, I just spend too much time behind the wheel to drive a car I don't love.

I think you'll need to prioritize some items. For me, living up north now, AWD is really nice to have on the DD. However, it's just not a necessity for a track capable car... besides adding doors, its probably one of the biggest items to work around.

1. Do you need AWD? If not, then why introduce it.

2. Do you need 4 doors? Is a "backseat" enough? For me, 4 doors is a DD necessity.

3. Do you want FI? FI is so common nowadays. While it's not ideal for the track, it is something that can be worked on.

4. How nice/modern of a car do you want? E36 or E46 BMW sedans are NA I6 vehicles that can definitely support track duty and have lots of support, but they are both getting old.

My recommendation: E90 M3. It has 4 doors, V8 NA power, 2WD. Boom!! Is it light, not really, but lighter than a SS.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Chris S
Instructor

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
Of all the above, I'd go Chevy SS. They can still haul at the track and are a good ride (of course will cost more to track with the extra weight and HP vs the others). All will be a compromise though. I put my track car into the wall at COTA last winter. Glad it was just the track car. Understeer = Safe at COTA. Oversteer = Bad day.
SS seems like a cool car, but bigger and heavier than I'd prefer. I need to go test drive one sometime. If I could still get one for 20% off promo that recently ended, it would be tempting.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:47 PM
Chris S
Instructor

Originally Posted by ShawnO
Still for sale?
Shawn - yes, I still have it. A couple of extras I just recalled from digging through receipts that weren't in my post:

- Tranny was built to World Challenge specs
- It has a camber kit also

There are probably many other things I've forgotten about - I pretty much opened my pocketbook w/ my local shop and told them to do what it took to make it as good on track as possible while still being streetable and w/o compromising reliability (i.e. no engine mods).
Old 09-05-2016, 08:38 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SS seems like a cool car, but bigger and heavier than I'd prefer. I need to go test drive one sometime. If I could still get one for 20% off promo that recently ended, it would be tempting.
I'd like to mention a CTS-V but that falls into the same ballpark as the SS. Damn it!

Get notified of new replies

To '02 Corvette Z06 fully track prepped, only 35K miles

Old 09-05-2016, 08:45 PM
Chris S
Instructor

I had the opportunity to drive a unicorn CTS-V (6 sp. manual wagon) at COTA, and was very impressed. I'd be tempted if it wasn't for the damage I know it would inflict on my tire and gas budget.

I'm a REALTOR® and real estate investor who drives all over North Texas, so whatever it is will get a lot of miles put on it. M2, Golf R, & BRZ are probably my top 3 candidates. I'm on a list for the M2, but waiting for an allocation and was given no definite timeframe.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:10 PM
rigit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this as well. C5Z to a Golf R, back in a C5Z. and yes, read the vorshlag blog on the FoRS. very informative. ADD version, it needs some mods for the track.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Chris S
Instructor

I read Vorshlag's blog, and am friends w/ Terry Fair. I have a lot of respect for his opinions. I have to admit I've been 2nd guessing selling my C5Z. The biggest issue is that I'm so busy w/ work on weekends that I don't get to near as many trackdays as I'd like...I'm down to about 6 per year. Hopefully that will change as I get the business where I want it to be, but I've been working my butt off in startup mode.

Quick Reply: FS: '02 Corvette Z06 fully track prepped, only 35K miles