Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Classifieds Post your For Sale or Wanted Autocrossing & Roadracing parts here.

WTB: LS6 Dry Sump Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 06:07 AM
conradb
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default LS6 Dry Sump Setup

I'm looking to upgrade my LS6 with a dry sump. My car is mostly a dedicated track car (minus a car meet once in a while). I'm worried about the large NASCAR oval turn at my fav track at high speed on R compound tires at 140mph+ starving my block.

Also, someone I met at the track said they have the LS7 pan and some other parts for the LS7 OEM oiling setup that were compatible with the LS6. Is this true?
Old 06-05-2017, 11:48 AM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I have some oil pans from Ls7 and LS1/6 engines and will take pictures to show the differences in how the oil is routed. There are two easier ways to do and I have used both and again I will see if I can find pictures. A.R.E makes a complete kit that installs where the air compressor is mounted and I have used on SCCA T1 race cars and with buying a used LS1 dry sump pan and making your own lines you can come in around 2K. If you want to retain air conditioning AVIAID makes a pump that mounts to the head and does not require a new pan and balancer.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:08 PM
conradb
Racer

Originally Posted by exracer28
I have some oil pans from Ls7 and LS1/6 engines and will take pictures to show the differences in how the oil is routed. There are two easier ways to do and I have used both and again I will see if I can find pictures. A.R.E makes a complete kit that installs where the air compressor is mounted and I have used on SCCA T1 race cars and with buying a used LS1 dry sump pan and making your own lines you can come in around 2K. If you want to retain air conditioning AVIAID makes a pump that mounts to the head and does not require a new pan and balancer.
I'm looking to ditch my A/C setup to save some weight at this point. I have a shop that can crimp some AN fitting lines for me too. I already have an oil cooler installed, so I have AN-fitted lines coming from the block anyway.

I sent ARE an email a while ago, and I think they tried to sell me around $4k worth of parts for a dry sump setup. I need to dig that old email out and see what they were selling me. The more I can save, the better. I figure a simple pickup and pump solution with a huge reservoir is what I need.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:05 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

The LS7 pan has additional openings for oil to reach the pump and then to the tank. I don't wee how it can be used on a LS1/6.

This is the Aviaid head mounted pump

This replaces the stock part with an additional belt to drive the pump.

Look at their web site to see how to connect the pump/tank and pan. Just let me know if you need additional data.
The following users liked this post:
conradb (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 11:54 PM
conradb
Racer

So I guess the guy at the track was full of it when he claimed the LS7 pan could fit on my LS6? I thought that sounded fishy.

Alternatively, I might be able to buy a salvaged insurance auction C6 Grand Sport and transplant the LS3 and dry sump setup into my 02 C5Z? I know you need to get a new reluctor wheel setup and ECU setup, but I heard it wasn't expensive at all.

I'm in the research phase, so any suggestions on what path to optimally take is appreciated. Thanks for the pics and info too!
Old 06-06-2017, 02:57 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

The ls7 pan will fit on your ls6. The difference is in the front cover, oil pump, and crank shaft. The ls7 uses a crank that is 1 inch longer to accommodate the dry sump pump that the ls7 uses.

So to make it work, you would need a ls7 crank, and all the other parts off a z06. You would me much better off with aftermarket stuff, the ls7 stuff can still starve for oil in high g left hand turns.
The following users liked this post:
conradb (06-06-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 07:23 AM
vertigyn
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm setting my car up with a dry sump system. We had trouble getting ahold of ARE and ended up going with Aviaid. We chose the LS-D kit they sell. The LS-C probably would have been fine but the D was marginally more expensive...And we'll never have to think about it again. Should arrive in a week or two!
Old 06-14-2017, 02:46 PM
JuicedH22
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an ARE pan (2 stage scavenge) I am going to put for sale very soon, as well as a dailey engineering 2 stage pump.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:30 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

I'm about to spend some money with are. What are you selling
Old 06-16-2017, 12:02 AM
conradb
Racer

Sent a PM, JuicedH22

Get notified of new replies

To LS6 Dry Sump Setup