Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Classifieds Post your For Sale or Wanted Autocrossing & Roadracing parts here.

FS: SCCA Solo STU C5 - 1999 FRC in Red - $17,900

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:25 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default SCCA Solo STU C5 - 1999 FRC in Red - $17,900

Nationally competitive C5 autocross car for sale on the ragged edge of STU rules! The car means a lot to me, but with my goals having been met with many lessons learned, it's time for me to move on. 47,000 miles on the odometer. You have the option to test drive and take delivery at Solo Nationals in September!

National Event Results:Build Summary
Link to thread that shows some of the steps along the way: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-thread.html

Cockpit: Sparco Evo II seat, Brey and Krause harness bar with 6-point harness

Powertrain modifications:
  • Z06 titanium axleback exhaust
  • Melrose 1 3/4" long tube headers (Danny Popp tested and approved)
  • High flow cats and X-pipe
  • Blackwing Intake
  • ATI 10% underdrive pulley
  • Custom HP Tuners engine calibration developed by a GM engine calibrator
Wheels, Tires: 4x Z06 rear wheels (satin black powder coat), 275/35-18 BFG Rival S

Handling modifications
  • OS Giken differential with Lugod's tune (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ln-2015-a.html)
  • Borg Motorsports Delrin AF Offset Bushings
  • VB&P 1200 lb/in front spring
  • Hyperco HPT rear spring
  • T1 front sway bar
  • OEM rear sway bar
  • StranoParts sourced Koni Sport single adjustable monotube dampers
    • Front lower rod ends from Strano
    • Custom rear upper monoball mounts that allow more jounce travel
  • 8mm front wheel spacers
  • Alignment :
    Front Camber- -4.0 deg; Front Caster- ~6.5 deg; Rear Camber- -3.0 deg
    Toe: Front- -1mm (out)
    Rear- +4mm (in)
Maintenance:
2018:
  • ABS hydraulic unit rebuilt in 2018
  • Front main seal and crank damper replaced
2017:
  • New clutch (LS6) and flywheel, torque tube inspected
  • New brake master cylinder
The bad:
It's an autocross car. It's gotten some dings over the years, but it still shines up pretty well. The front air dam is destroyed. Front inner fender liners and brake ducts are in rough shape. Also, all C5 passenger seats tend to flop forward under braking, which I found unacceptable, so I've had a ratchet strap holding mine back for several years now, so the seat and other interior bits are not in perfect condition. She has taken some abuse, but has been well maintained.

Also, the AC isn't working. It pops fuses, but I tow to events and haven't fixed it.

Parts included (if desired):
  • External oil cooler with lines, adapter block, and AN fittings included
  • Spare front and rear wheel bearings that I've yet to need but always pack
  • stock springs
  • stock shocks
  • pile of sway bars
  • Stock LSD (with 40k miles)
  • Stock 17x8.5/ 18x9.5 wagon wheels

After buffing

Peru CAM Challenge action shot by Andrew Wong

Last edited by Ramo7769; 09-23-2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 08-15-2018, 10:05 AM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Noooo!!!! This is a steal for anyone at this price. GLWS!

What's next?

Last edited by jesup16; 08-15-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:51 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Originally Posted by jesup16
Noooo!!!! This is a steal for anyone at this price. GLWS!

What's next?
Thank you! I've gotta put my head down and work for a while (on something awesome) so no sports car in my immediate future. I'll need to save money for a while, but it's just a matter of time though. I'll be trying to find some codrives in the mean time.

Last edited by Ramo7769; 08-29-2018 at 08:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
drewz06 (06-08-2019)
Old 08-21-2018, 09:53 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I've driven this car a few times (and gotten beaten by it several more), and it's an easy button for STU or CAM-S. I just sold my car with somewhat similar parts (better shocks, but engine parts not on it, and no diff) in way worse condition/double the miles of this for almost Ramos' asking price. It's a screaming deal for anyone that wants to run up front.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:48 AM
RonBello
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in the car. Looking for something I can ride on the street once in a while and do 3-4 events per year. Just how rough are the rough spots? For the A/C, what would need to be done to get it fixed? I also see a sparco seat in one of the photographs; is that correct?
Old 09-13-2018, 11:23 AM
Ramo7769
Racer

Originally Posted by RonBello
Interested in the car. Looking for something I can ride on the street once in a while and do 3-4 events per year. Just how rough are the rough spots? For the A/C, what would need to be done to get it fixed? I also see a sparco seat in one of the photographs; is that correct?
  • Hello, that's right the driver seat is a Sparco Evo 2. Both the stock 3-point and a 6-point harness with harness bar are in the car and included.
  • For the AC, unfortunately I don't entirely know the issue. I had it recharged once, but it seems to continue to blow fuses
  • Rough spots are mostly a chewed up plastic front air dam and cone marks. But there are some scratches and a couple chips. With those aside, I'd say the body and the paint are in quite good condition. It was immaculate when I bought it 5 years ago. I'm planning a buff and polish in the next week or two and I expect it to shine and show pretty well.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:45 AM
RonBello
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far so good. How would you say it drives on the street in relation to a stock or barely modified Z06 I had a 2001 z06 before loved it and it fit perfectly
Old 09-13-2018, 07:29 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Originally Posted by RonBello
So far so good. How would you say it drives on the street in relation to a stock or barely modified Z06 I had a 2001 z06 before loved it and it fit perfectly
It's definitely a firmer ride than a stock one. In short, I think the ride quality could be pretty good with different shocks. I think the Konis hurt the ride the most. The stiffer springs and bushings weren't a big deal for me. That just made it appropriate and crisp. You can feel a hair if you drive over it but bumps aren't jarring. And the seat is not as comfortable as a stock one. It is just firm and well bolstered. Overall, it's a much more "connected" driving experience. The limit is much easier to sense and the steering response is much quicker. But, this certainly compromises comfort to a degree.

I also prefer the differential on the street compared to the stock one. It has negative preload and you don't get the low speed chatter at light load anymore with this one since it's essentially open when axle torque is low. It made the car handle low speed corners a lot better in my opinion.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:12 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

I now have more photos of the car here:https://photos.app.goo.gl/Laov45UzekwQhzZp9
Old 09-28-2018, 08:34 PM
nismosis
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Confused on the ST rules....pulleys are allowed? Cats must be within 6” of OEM location, so don’t long tubes violate this?
Old 09-29-2018, 09:17 AM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by nismosis
Confused on the ST rules....pulleys are allowed? Cats must be within 6” of OEM location, so don’t long tubes violate this?
Read the rules... all his mods are allowed. ST is practically a "bolt-on" class. Factory cats are pretty far downstream on the factory exhaust manifolds. All most all aftermarket headers will work in ST class. And if they aren't, I doubt anyone is going under your car with a tape measure to check.

I never found pulleys to be worth it, but if I was in there for some reason... why not.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:17 PM
nismosis
Intermediate

Ah yes....I've overlooked pulleys in the rules. '99 must have a different exhaust stream than '00. My '00 FRC has pre-cats right off the manifolds, so I'm guessing I would be limited to shorty headers only. At any rate, this is nice car...mine will be setup similarly for next season. GLWS.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:51 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Ah yes....I've overlooked pulleys in the rules. '99 must have a different exhaust stream than '00. My '00 FRC has pre-cats right off the manifolds, so I'm guessing I would be limited to shorty headers only. At any rate, this is nice car...mine will be setup similarly for next season. GLWS.
Thanks. I don't think you'll be limited to shorty headers. Maybe the rules aren't clear, but I don't think you need to retain pre-cats. And I know Lane Borg has long tubes on his '04 and I am sure he's within the rules.

Sale is almost complete for this car. I've received payment and I'm waiting for the car to be picked up. I'll post once the car is officially not in my hands
Old 10-01-2018, 08:10 PM
eric1855
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The STU rules allows you to replace multiple cats with just one, and then the new one needs to be 6" from the original, final, cat. So you can go catless except for ones in the midpipe and be legal.

E. Catalytic converters – Any catalytic converters are allowed. STU, STR, STX, STS, STH – Catalytic converters must attach within 6” (152.4 mm) of the original unit. Multiple catalytic converters may be replaced by a single unit. The inlet of the single replacement converter may be located no further downstream than 6” (152.4 mm) along
Old 06-05-2019, 08:26 PM
rad63
Heel & Toe

Still available?

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Solo STU C5 - 1999 FRC in Red - $17,900

Quick Reply: FS: SCCA Solo STU C5 - 1999 FRC in Red - $17,900