Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Rotors from NAPA Drilled/slotted/cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Performance Rotors from NAPA Drilled/slotted/cheap?

I was purchasing another rotor for my c5 saturday and the guy said they could order performance rotors for my car. They are cross drilled and slotted for like 59.00 each.

Has anyone tried them? Are they any better than stock? Would they help in autocrossing/roadracing?
Old 03-28-2005, 01:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

NAPA $25 each or stock, same thing. Slotted or drilled crack easier no benefit. BLING
Old 03-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh boy, here we go again.

In the 1970s brake pads would vent some kind of gas that needed a place to go, so someone got the idea of cutting slots and holes in the rotors.

what also happens is that there is less metal to absorb the heat, so they end up getting hotter, and cutting holes and slots creates weak spots in the metal.

If you want to spend a little more $$, you can get rotors with the holes pre cast (C6 Z51, Porsche, ect.) It's better, but they will still crack around the holes.

fast forward to 2005, modern brake pads don't produce any gasses (sorry don't remember the technical term for it), so there is no need for the slotted/drilled rotors, and you've still got all of the negative side affects.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:39 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07
Default Can confirm cracking on C6 Z51

2 track events, 1800 miles on the clock-front rotors showing tons of cracks around the holes. Hopefully raybestos will hurry up with those replacements!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:59 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are NOT going to track your car and want something that looks nice on the street...go for it!

If you plan on tracking your car at least a couple times this year...NO WAY!

The worst case is that you crack them and are out $50+, which WILL happen much sooner than non-drilled/sloted rotors. I pay $19 on RockAuto.

I can usually get a set of rotors to last a good 4 track days if the weather is cool, by the 4th event the cracks are too big for comfort. In the right conditions, on a tight fast course, on hot day... I'll get 1 event out of them.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 95jersey
If you are NOT going to track your car and want something that looks nice on the street...go for it!

If you plan on tracking your car at least a couple times this year...NO WAY!

The worst case is that you crack them and are out $50+, which WILL happen much sooner than non-drilled/sloted rotors. I pay $19 on RockAuto.

I can usually get a set of rotors to last a good 4 track days if the weather is cool, by the 4th event the cracks are too big for comfort. In the right conditions, on a tight fast course, on hot day... I'll get 1 event out of them.

Oh wow... Looks like I need to change out the other three rotors.

OK, I'll stay clear of the "performance" rotors.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me echo this... I cracked a cross drilled rotor on another track car years ago and it caused one of the highest speed and WORST spins I've ever experienced on track in my life without hitting something solid.

Avoid them at all cost or plan to run very mild pads...

Mike
Old 03-28-2005, 06:28 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I saw an add for rotors last month, cant rembere who it was from

the add went something like this

Rotors

Drilled and Slotted for Performance

Slotted for occational track use

For MAXIMUM braking contact Solid side rotors.

Go figure
Old 03-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

why spend 59 for track rotors when the stocks from rockauto (raybestos) are 20 bucks you cant beat $100 for 4 shipped to the door! especially if you go through them like some people on here
Old 03-28-2005, 07:49 PM
dmtnt
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06 & '12

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
why spend 59 for track rotors when the stocks from rockauto (raybestos) are 20 bucks you cant beat $100 for 4 shipped to the door! especially if you go through them like some people on here
1.5 track days for a set of fronts with Wilwood H pads.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:06 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dmtnt
1.5 track days for a set of fronts with Wilwood H pads.

Would wildwood pads help in autocrossing or would I not get enough heat in them to make them work?
Old 03-29-2005, 02:11 AM
96CELT4
Burning Brakes

Whether the wildwood pads will be any good for autocrossing depends on what its operation temperature range is. I'm trying a pad made by Cobalt Friction that has an operating Temperature Range of 75* - 950+*F. This makes for excellent initial bite which is what you want for autocrossing. These pads feel to be on par with the Hawk HP Plus that I tried in the past, but the initial bite seems to be better than the Hawk pads. So far I've run two events on them and they seem to be doing fine. They are a bit noisy during casual street driving, but then so were the Hawk and Performance Friction pads I've tried in the past.

Anyone else out there try the Cobalt pads?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:44 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 96CELT4
Whether the wildwood pads will be any good for autocrossing depends on what its operation temperature range is. I'm trying a pad made by Cobalt Friction that has an operating Temperature Range of 75* - 950+*F. This makes for excellent initial bite which is what you want for autocrossing. These pads feel to be on par with the Hawk HP Plus that I tried in the past, but the initial bite seems to be better than the Hawk pads. So far I've run two events on them and they seem to be doing fine. They are a bit noisy during casual street driving, but then so were the Hawk and Performance Friction pads I've tried in the past.

Anyone else out there try the Cobalt pads?

This sounds interesting. Perhaps we should have it in a seperate post. I'll start one now.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:19 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

We installed the cheap NAPA rotors on a track car and they cracked while doing the initial bed-in procedure, so I would stay clear, you'll get more rotor/pad life with the standard $25 units. As far as the Willwoods I think that the initial bite on them is very good, those pads have a very wide operating range, as far as temp. Dusty & noisey but very effective at all temp ranges.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:51 AM
dmtnt
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06 & '12

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
We installed the cheap NAPA rotors on a track car and they cracked while doing the initial bed-in procedure, so I would stay clear, you'll get more rotor/pad life with the standard $25 units.
Maybe NAPA's C4 rotors are different, but the only ones they sell for C5's are the $25 ones that many of us use and the drilled/slotted/bling rotors. I've never had an issue during bedding, nor heard of one. Either the C4 rotors are a different metallurgy or you got a bum set.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:01 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the C5, the NAPA, Raybestos (Rockauto) and the OEM replacement Brembo rotors are all the same. The only difference is the box that they ship in and the price.

I've never had a problem with these rotors. They last just as long as the stock GM rotors.

X
Old 03-29-2005, 06:06 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I was refering to the cheap NAPA rotors that are drilled and slotted the solid ones are great, sorry for any confusion. All they do is take the $25 rotor drill and slot it and send it out. They are just too weak to use when drilled and slotted. They are actually Raybestos "Brutestop" rotors that cracked after rotor bedding. That was on a 02 Z06, I work on many different cars so the C4 throws people off.

Get notified of new replies

To Performance Rotors from NAPA Drilled/slotted/cheap?

Quick Reply: Performance Rotors from NAPA Drilled/slotted/cheap?