Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Seat Wear

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-1999, 04:10 PM
stoney
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bolster wear on sport seats is a continuing problem on C5s; my 97 with 3.8K miles has several black wear marks on the red driver's bolster. Chevrolet should recognize this fact and give their dealers a remedy for customers with this problem.
Old 02-17-1999, 05:23 PM
saint
4th Gear

One of the dealers I have been working with mentioned that Chevy just recently changed the seating material to improve its wearability. He said that certain areas that were seeing a lot of wear had been replaced with high-quality vinyl. Hopefully that will help future 'vette owners such as myself. Im not sure where it leaves you, but you might want to check and see if the dealer can help in any way (doubt it though).
Old 02-23-1999, 01:32 PM
Nitrodamus
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some reason GM's idea of replacing the leather seating bolsters in a $50k car with a "high grade vinyl" (read cheap plastic)doesn't seem such a great idea to me. Think about it, would you really want to take an extended trip while sitting for hours on that old cheap vinyl couch you use to have, you know, the one that no one else wanted to sit on because it kept sticking to you. The leather seating in my Chevy Tahoe is soft and doesn't show signs of wear after three years of use, why can't they use the same grade leather. I guess it would have cost an extra buck or maybe even two to ungrade the leather that was already there, so why not replace it with something cheap.

[This message has been edited by NEXEX (edited 02-23-99).]
Old 02-24-1999, 02:24 PM
ATalbert
Advanced

Yup, what a great idea -- vinyl in a $50k car. I think the discussion at GM went something like this:

1997: "We don't have a seat wear problem!!!"
1998: "We don't have a seat wear problem???"
1999: "O.k. maybe we have a seat wear problem. How do we fix it?"
"Hey, I got an idea, let's switch to vinyl like the old Corvairs!"
"Ah, Joe, we're talking about CorVETTES here, not CorVAIRS"
"S**T, don't worry about it! Those guys will buy anything"

My '96 CE's seats are in great shape. My chairman's 5 year old BMW's seats are in great shape. What, GM can't FIND decent leather? (Hey, maybe they contain vinyl, too! )

Tony Talbert
Old 03-13-1999, 09:17 PM
Alex D
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen it. The C5 seat material is terrible! Why can't the US car makers go to the type of leather quality used in German cars. That leather is 10 times better than the leather in US cars. The C5 leather, though smoother, is much worse than the C4 leather

Get notified of new replies

To Sport Seat Wear

Quick Reply: Sport Seat Wear