Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in reverse

Old 03-31-1999, 10:20 PM
Bob in Portland, OR
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that everything which could have gone wrong with a car had already happened to my 1986 Corvette. However, it has come up with a new problem.

While trying to get the shift lever out of the way to reinstall a radio, I apparently confused the transmission. Even when the car is in neutral, it believes it is in reverse. When I use the shift lever to select any other gear (including reverse), it thinks it is in two gears at the same time. Even the ridiculously powerful engine is unable to move the car at two speeds at the same time, especially when they are trying to drive the car in opposite directions at once.

My particular Corvette is one of those asinine 7-speed transmissions (4+3) with the idiotic antitheft system which requires you to put the car in reverse in order to remove the key. When I forced the shift lever to move with the key turned off, apparently I created some kind of a problem. Does anyone have any ideas about how to correct my confused Corvette? I have a choice now between coasting (by depressing the clutch), reverse (by releasing the clutch) or all stop (by selecting some gear other than neutral and releasing the clutch). Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Send email to productepi@aol.com Thanks.
Old 04-02-1999, 12:41 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Hey, Bob,
Sorry I don't have the answer to your current problem, but I agree with you, Whoever designed that transmission should have designed one more to stick right up his butt!
Been there, Greg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck in reverse